New/Opinions and suggestions needed

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

BlueLatitude
Gidgee

New/Opinions and suggestions needed

Post by BlueLatitude » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:31 am

Hello, I am new here and I'm not a builder, though watching other people build them fascinates me!

I'm commissioning a builder here in the US to build me an ukulele from ancient kauri (curly or whitebait -- have to see what the vendor has).

I have some questions on the top. They have some ancient flame kauri, which will be used for the sides and she was thinking of for the top as well. Would that work or is it not appropriate for a flat top? I know people make archtops from it.

What I think I'd really like is the newer salvaged kauri that I see you guys using as topes, but it doesn't seem to be available here and I also haven't seen anybody selling any down there either. Is anyone aware of somewhere I could get a nice piece shipped here for a concert size top, or is that a problem becvause of all the new exporting rules?

Failing that, how do you think old growth redwood would work with kauri? I'm looking for a warm, mellow tone.

Looking forward to any thoughts and suggestions you guys might have. Thanks!

Allen
Blackwood

Re: New/Opinions and suggestions needed

Post by Allen » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:44 am

I don't know about Kauri because I've never used it, however I've built an awful lot of ukes. What contributes more to tone than anything else in a ukulele is how it's braced and the strings you use.

I regularly will have on hand instruments made from the same board, braced the same way but with different strings just to demonstrate to clients what's possible in that one simple choice.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:31 pm

Here's a good suggestion, Get one of the excellent builders from NZ to make it for you. Failing that someone here in Oz. Allen make a few ukes. :wink:
If your US builder does not know about this stuff to point of you having to ask us why not get an authentic antipodean uke made.

Go on, give us a go.

Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:19 pm

+1 what Dom said.
Martin

BlueLatitude
Gidgee

Post by BlueLatitude » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:40 am

Oh dear, I do seem to have put my foot in it!

Actually, when I originally started thinking about a custom, I had intended to order one from NZ. I even had someone all picked out, only to find he doesn't export instruments any more -- or at least not the ones made from the cool local woods. Kiwi woods for the Kiwis, fair enough. I guess I got it into my head that probably no one was going to want to sell overseas, and I put the idea aside.

Not too long ago I came across a luthier who seemed to have a similar sense of aesthetics to mine. I said I'd like a uke with a bellbird on it, because their song is so beautiful. She was into it, and we got to talking about using a NZ wood to continue the theme. I did a little looking around once more and found that ancient kauri was being used for instruments. I was aware of it before that, of course, but not as a tonewood. And there are a couple of vendors here who have it, so getting that wood wouldn't involve any shipping problems. It just kind of went from there, and now I'm only looking for something aesthetically pleasing for the top.

Since I have already contracted with her to do this, it would be very rude to back out, and besides, I don't want to. I'm enjoying having the chance to do a lot of the research for this instrument -- yes, she could and would do it, but it's part of the fun for me and I like to be involved.

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:04 am

I wouldn't worry too much about where it's built. I'm in the middle of building a guitar for a friend, and the BEST thing is that she's local, and can come and help me tweak it. Alan had a thread about Honey's Uke, where he went thru having shaped the neck to HIS liking, and then having to do lots of RE-shaping to suit the client. IMHO, that is THE point about having someone make you any instrument. Do it local, and BE PART of the building process. A good builder ought demand that you turn periodically to see how YOU like the bits and bobs that are in it...

I've never tried a Uke, so know nothing about it. Sadly, it seems as tho some S. hemisphere timbers can be had cheaper in the US than here, then you have the issues with the Lacey act, documentation, and shipping the completed instrument, with all the attendant problems associated with that type on endeavour.

I'd like to see how you progress, and some pix, etc. Building them is fun. Having one built must be really cool. Get your builder to make you what you want, and run with it.

Oh, welcome down under.....Good luck
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

simonm
Blackwood

Post by simonm » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:01 pm

I have no idea if he has any NZ timbers, however you could drop an email to rctonewoods (Kenmore NY) and see if they have any info. They sometimes have some wierd and wonderful items and have a good reputation in on the forums I hang out on. I've bought stuff from then twice and was happy.
Simon

christian
Blackwood

Post by christian » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:47 am

Hi,

Ancient kauri is so varied and is often confused with swamp kauri, the differences are huge in terms of age, cell structure, stiffness and colour you have to be very careful choosing it, as only a small percentage is any good to build with.
you can use it for a Uke top but I would go with a quartered flame piece.
if you want a contrasting top kahikatea and kauri are great options.
It is slightly problemmatic sending wood to the US as you have mentioned it has to comply with the lacey act, a headache for all concerned.
So if it was me I would save yourself the trouble and go with a Ancient kauri top too.
the Korimako is an amazing songbird I frequently see them in the bush where I live, and named one of my guitar models after it.

good luck with your build!

Christian.
Why does the eye see a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination when awake?
Leonardo da Vinci

www.christiandruery.com

BlueLatitude
Gidgee

Post by BlueLatitude » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:06 am

Thanks for all the replies! I will go with a flamed kauri top; I think it will be beautiful. We're getting the wood from ancienttonewood.com, funnily enough they are located in my home state.

When it's done I will try to post pictures.

Christian, I just loved hearing the dawn chorus while I was there. I could have listed for hours. It's nice enough here but nothing like that!

Gillian