One for Martin

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dominic
Blackwood

One for Martin

Post by Dominic » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:33 am

Got the latest Carbatec catalogue and its got a jet bandsaw on the front because CT are now the sole distributor of Jet machines here and in NZ.

Giving Martin's love for CT I thought he would be thrilled to know they now handle jet. And they have prices which has always pissed me off with Jet because you had to call them for a price. Some of their stuff is around the same price as CT equivalent but a 14 inch bandsaw costs 1250 bucks whereas the CT model with a larger motor is 850. Anyway, its all listed on the web site now.
Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: One for Martin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:37 am

Dominic wrote:Got the latest Carbatec catalogue and its got a jet bandsaw on the front because CT are now the sole distributor of Jet machines here and in NZ.

Giving Martin's love for CT I thought he would be thrilled to know they now handle jet. And they have prices which has always pissed me off with Jet because you had to call them for a price. Some of their stuff is around the same price as CT equivalent but a 14 inch bandsaw costs 1250 bucks whereas the CT model with a larger motor is 850. Anyway, its all listed on the web site now.
Cheers
Dom
Thanks for that Dom. Interesting that CT have taken over dealership of Jet. Macwood who are across the road from CT used to be Jet dealers but after my last purchase from Macwood there was untold amounts of dicking around getting the order processed and then sourcing spares for a Jet table saw Id bought privately. Problems were a combination of Macwoods lack lustre service and also Jets Head Office in Australia. Hopefully CT have sorted out Jet head Office issues.

Re Jet versus CT.......I agree alot of the stuff is comparable in quality but then again with some of the machinery IMHO the Jet has the edge in terms of quality.
Martin

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:26 pm

I was in the Brisbane store last weekend and it was a Jet feast. They had their machinery floor split in half with Jet on one side and CT on the other.

I have the same band saw as the guy on the cover of the catalog. I can't imagine pushing a log like that through it :). Funny thing is I don't think they even make that model any more.
Jeremy D

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:22 pm

Well CT closed the next to useless Canberra store and orders from Qld are now very fast and reliable. It will be very interesting to see how the 2 brands go head to head.

Cheers Dom

steve roberts
Blackwood

Post by steve roberts » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:08 am

Hi Guys
I was in CT Aurban store Sydney on Friday Jet machines every were,
I fell in love with the osolating drum sander but at at $2500 i will have to be content with my old one
Jet sure do make great stuff
Regards Steve

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:22 pm

I recon CT has the jump on Jet lately. Certainly on the distribution side of things but also introducing new models. Apart from the oscillating drum sander from Jet (which is no longer listed so my guess is it had design problems) CT are introducing better technology. Their jointers and thicknessers are now using spiral cutter heads and superior table adjustment. The CT models tend to have bigger motors and larger cast iron tables. Jet is still using splitters on table saws instead of rivving knives.
I am sure that Jet are great machines but I don’t think they could perform any better or worse than CT machines. There may be a difference on the low end (toy) machines, but the bigger industrial gear, 17”: bandsaw, 12” table saw, floor standing spindle sander etc are basically the same.

Hopefully, this new structure will drive Jet to become more competitive in terms of price and will push both firms to improve their range.
Cheers
Dom