installing endpin jack for K&K Pure Mini

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

bernm
Sassafras

installing endpin jack for K&K Pure Mini

Post by bernm » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:15 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm about to install a K&K Pure Mini in one of my guitars. I'm wondering about the best way to make the hole for the endpin jack (1/2" or 12mm).

The guitar I will be putting the pickup in currently has an endpin which is the tapered press fit style.

What I want to do of course is widen the smaller existing hole so that the centre stays at the center and so that it is done cleanly. The instructions that come with the K&K say that the best way to do this is to use several ascending sized self-centering metalwork drill bits. These seems to be a complex way forward and would require buying those bits, so I thought I'd ask what others do? The ways forward that I can see are:

1. Buy the bits recommended by K&K.

2. Plug the current hole with a dowel and then redrill a clean 12mm hole with a sharp brad-point bit (probably jigging it up with my drill press to do well).

3. As I've had a quick look for answers so far, some people advocate using an endpin reamer (which makes sense). But
I'm confused as to whether the StewMac specialty tool or similar is needed or if a cheapie hardware store reamer is fine if I took my time and kept my eye on things. I've never done this before, but I assume that with a reamer I'd bring it up to just under 12mm and follow with a drill bit to get the whole the same diameter all the way through?

Or maybe there are other options I haven't thought of yet!

I don't mind buying specialty tools if I can justify it, and within reason. But before I lay down cash for something new I thought I'd seek the wisdom of this forum.

Many thanks,
Bern Merchant

nnickusa
Blackwood

Re: installing endpin jack for K&K Pure Mini

Post by nnickusa » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:11 pm

If it was me, I'd just grab a good sharp 12mm bit, stick a block behind the heel block and drill the hole. I really can't imagine that the tiny bit of wobble one might get from using a hand-held drill would make the slightest difference.....

But then, I'm a bit of a Neanderthal compared to some of these guys....
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:39 pm

A Step drill is usually the go in this situation. One of those things that looks like a tapered drill bit with steps up to the correct diameter. Most of the ones I've seen just happen to go up to 1/2".
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm

Allen is right, I use a step drill to fit these. Also less risk of tear out as associated with using a drill bit.
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

vandenboom
Blackwood

Post by vandenboom » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:24 pm

Haven't got anything to add to the drill bit side of things, but assuming the guitar has finish on it, it can help to apply tape to the drill area to reduce the chance of finish chipping away around the drill hole. Frank

sam
Sassafras

Post by sam » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:11 am

HI Bern,

Last week a pickup was installed in my guitar. I had glued the end pin in place as it had shrunk, so there was a bit more work in cutting it off and levelling the surface beforehand. It did
provide a good starting surface for a pilot drill. A sharp twist drill brought the hole up to the starting size of a two-tiered specialty reamer that was used to obtain the final hole size. There was no chipping of the finish. Your suggestion of a brad point drill sounds good, as well.

There are a few Baggs installation videos on YouTube. Step drills are
used in those. The step drills also called Unibits, (brand by Irwin) can be purchased
at almost any tool supply. I think the reamer came from StewMac.

Slight countersinking of the hole beforehand might also reduce the likelihood
of chipping.

I would first drill a test piece on scrap to make sure your technique is sound.

Sam

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:15 am

There's blokes at work who call step drills Christmas tree bits too.

bernm
Sassafras

Post by bernm » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:53 am

Thanks everyone. Some very good ideas and tips in your responses. I'll get a step bit this week and give it a go, being sure to use some of the precautions as suggested.

Kind regards
Bern

bernm
Sassafras

Post by bernm » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:46 pm

I thought I'd update this thread very briefly and say that I did get the pickup installed. I ended up buying a 12mm step bit, which worked well, and then I had to get a regular 12mm bit to finish the job.

The pickup itself is very good. The guitar is a cheapie which I've owned for over 20 years. I'm now able to play it at church just going through a Baggs preamp/DI into the PA. I'll happily use K&K again.

Regards
Bern

tippie53
Myrtle

Post by tippie53 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:33 am

I am a dealer of K&K and to anyone here I will be happy to discount them or if you need maybe one of the group can become and Aussie dealer or even a group buy. I like to share.
Member of the board ASIA
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com

Arnt
Blackwood

Post by Arnt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:09 pm

I finally broke down and bought the expensive SM endpin reamer a few years ago, after when I was tired of fiddling with several different drill bits, cauls and whatnot. This thing just works, with no danger of wood of finish chipping, and a perfectly fitting, straight, centered hole (at least if you pay attention when you drill...). Its quick, too. If I had to, I'd buy it again, just for the sake of not having to worry about it, which is no fun when you work on other people's guitars regularly.
Arnt Rian,
Norway

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:22 pm

Or... drill a hole the correct size in the middle of a piece of scrap mdf (~150x150mm), double sided tape it into position on the guitar and you have a custom drill guide. I had to do this when fitting a D-Tar end pin/pre-amp to a mates guitar. I had a 16mm forstner bit to to open up a 12mm hole with. The guide saved me.
Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!