How cheap can manufacturers really be.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

simso
Blackwood

How cheap can manufacturers really be.

Post by simso » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:53 pm

It still amazes me the shit that is used to manufacture guitars and necks, this neck snapped off real easy on the customer, the break was super ugly, so Ive done a scarf cut to insert a joiner piece and the wood is pretty pathetic, fibrous, no real grain structure.
Attachments
broken headstock.JPG
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

woodrat
Blackwood

Re: How cheap can manufacturers really be.

Post by woodrat » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:49 pm

Yes... Thats fairly pathetic all right:(

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:58 am

How cheap...

I've seen a Chinese made electric guitar that when a modification/routing was performed it was discovered that the body was just white foam with a veneer over it!

I've seen Chinese pricelists from the cheap knock off factory and they're selling complete, painted and assembled with parts electrics for $35.00 and acoustics from $45.00 !!!

I only wish that my costs were that low!

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:44 am

Everything is made to a price point. If you want to pay shit all you get shit....
How much was this guitar?

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:39 pm

This cheap http://www.swamp.net.au/12-string-guitars/
From a newish online shop in Canberra. A 12 string spruce topped dred, with builtin tuner, and gig bag for 149.99.
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:40 pm

I bought some tuners from Swamp, they were absolute crap, i wouldn't touch any of there products now, let alone a guitar.
Wayne

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:06 pm

On the other hand, I've bought Neutrik mono and stereo jacks and Speakon speaker connectors from Swamp, the genuine thing, top quality and about half the price of anywhere else, good service.

I guess you've just got to know what you're buying.

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:56 pm

Buying $9.49 machine heads and expecting them to be any good is borderline insane. But then slagging the whole shop for making that purchase is just unfair.

I didn't mean to target the shop. They have good cases and stuff as Trevor says and its cheap and I've had good service from them. I was talking about a manufacturer who could make such a cheap guitar and get it to the shop in Canberra although I can bet these are below cost.

Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:39 pm

$795
This instrument was from one of the big four, I wont say anything more.
Steve
Master of nothing,

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:11 pm

liam_fnq wrote:Everything is made to a price point. If you want to pay shit all you get shit....
How much was this guitar?
If you're a shitty player then a shitty guitar is generally the best choice. My guitars are not stradivarius quality but I dont let idiots get their hands on them.
Martin

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:52 am

I remember back in the day working for Chrysler cars pressing panels and if a fault occurred, sooner than stop the run, they let it go through and let somebody else fix it, but they probably didn't either as it would slow them down too. Possibly its the same with mass guitar production, fixing/replacing the few that come back must be a cheaper option.

I had a customer ask me [over the phone] about a guitar he had in his hands in the store [he said he was buying it to use while I worked on his Martin???] was it worth the money?, whats it like? etc.
All I could tell him was you get what you pay for, and its factory made so you take your chances at that price. Then I start getting calls about how unplayable the guitar is. All he did was buy more work for me :cl

The same make of guitar from the same store but different customer had a buzz, store suggested loose top brace. In fact it was all the back braces were not glued to the back, it was just the fact that they were tucked into the linings that held them in place.
Taff

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:38 pm

Taffy Evans wrote:In fact it was all the back braces were not glued to the back, it was just the fact that they were tucked into the linings that held them in place.
:shock: :shock:

Erm, minor oversight ???

Jeremy.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:52 am

J.F. Custom wrote:
Taffy Evans wrote:In fact it was all the back braces were not glued to the back, it was just the fact that they were tucked into the linings that held them in place.
:shock: :shock:

Erm, minor oversight ???

Jeremy.
If you want glued braces then youll have to shell out for the Limited Edition model.
Martin

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Maybe it's a fake. I found a Gibson Les Paul gold top, barnd new last month for $399.00. " Why so cheap? " I asked the pawn shop guy, " It's a fake " sez he. I spent the rest of the day searching fake Gibson, Fender, Guild etc., solidbodys and acoustics. Mandolins as well. It's a big problem for all the majors.

They go from low end fakes to real guitars upgraded for the collectors. Slash had two '57-'59 ( I forget the exact year ) Gibson Les Pauls made for himself.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

sam
Sassafras

Post by sam » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:43 pm

I put a 'new' set of D'Addario strings on a friend's Taylor cutaway and they sounded dead as...

I wrote the company and they requested photographs of all the packaging. I even included a
close-up of the serial number on the plastic inner lining. According to their records it's a fake.

They were bought from a vendor at a well-known US guitar festival, so I am surprised, esp
with the detail of the packaging.

There is a search engine on their web site that will check out serial numbers for authenticity. I suppose with a clever phone you could do it before purchasing.

D'Addario offered to replace the set, which is a great gesture, considering it wasn't their
product or fault in the first place.

S

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:07 pm

Not a fake, just a change in current quality control or materials, the price was not marked down to the retailer either
Steve
Master of nothing,

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:25 pm

Wow strings??! Seriously? :roll:

I should not be surprised but I had not heard of, nor come across fake strings before...

What a pain in the proverbial. :?

Jeremy.

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:50 pm

Sam wrote:There is a search engine on their web site that will check out serial numbers for authenticity.
That search engine is here.
Sam wrote:D'Addario offered to replace the set, which is a great gesture, considering it wasn't their
product or fault in the first place.
Yes, that's what they do (to be read here). A clever strategy to keep people reporting about fake D'Addario strings.
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:26 am

I've seen it many times, mainly from the same good customer of mine. Over recent years I must have worked on 12 of this customers guitars of varied makes for various reasons, in the last year he has brought 4-5 of these Chinese knock offs to me.
All look the real deal but do not feel right or play right.

Some of the jobs have been: correct fret work, all needed setting up [whats new?] one I fitted with two new necks to get it to play [no adjustment in the originals] another I fitted new pickups. The last one I did for him was a "Gibson" 335 style 12 string. It cost him close to $200 for me to get playable. This guitar had a very narrow 6 string fingerboard with frets beveled excessively so that the playing area was even less.

I had to make a new bone nut to widen the spacing of the strings then level the frets to get more playing area on the tops by moving the bevel out a bit. In the photo below you can see a fret laying on the fingerboard, why?... it just popped out and that where it landed. I couldn't believe it and took the photo. He also bought a heap of strings that were well known branded but crap, yep he bought those cheep also.

I told the customer he may have to capo the 3rd fret so he can finger the strings. What do I thing of Chinese instruments :cl .
1-DSCF6120.JPG
1-DSCF6120.JPG (100.45 KiB) Viewed 16195 times
2-DSCF6121.JPG
2-DSCF6121.JPG (97.79 KiB) Viewed 16195 times
Taff

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am

If its never been refretted, lack of the fret side nubs is the first give away
Steve
Master of nothing,

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:51 pm

The best Chinese frets come from the Tang Dynasty......the frets on this guitar are obviously from the Tangless Dynasty
Martin