Brushing epoxy

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dominic
Blackwood

Brushing epoxy

Post by Dominic » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Hey, I have usually used a old credit card to spread epoxy and then sand it back to wood. But I end up with some sinking of the finish into grain lines after about 6 months. So reading the Gore/Gilet book Trevor suggests brushing the epoxy and leveling it so I thought I'd give this a try. My first observation on this is that the brush sucks up as much epoxy as ends up on the guitar. But I got a very flat finish. And then there is the issue of cleaning the brush.
Anyone else brush epoxy, what sort of brush and how should it be cleaned. Metho?
Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Brushing epoxy

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:23 pm

Dominic wrote:Hey, I have usually used a old credit card to spread epoxy and then sand it back to wood. But I end up with some sinking of the finish into grain lines after about 6 months. So reading the Gore/Gilet book Trevor suggests brushing the epoxy and leveling it so I thought I'd give this a try. My first observation on this is that the brush sucks up as much epoxy as ends up on the guitar. But I got a very flat finish. And then there is the issue of cleaning the brush.
Anyone else brush epoxy, what sort of brush and how should it be cleaned. Metho?
Cheers
Dom
I used acetone for cleaning brushes I used for laying CF Tow on falcate braces. In the end I gave up trying to rejuveate brushes after an epoxy session and I just chuck them away. Im about to do an epoxy pore fill on my current build and dont plan on re-using the brush
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:46 pm

Provided you don't leave it too long, squeeze out the excess between sheets of paper (newsprint, anything) a quick rinse in acetone, wash in bar soap and water. Takes me about 2 minutes. Current brush has probably been rinsed and re-used ~50 times. The longer you leave it, the exponentially more time consuming and solvent intensive the washing is.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:49 pm

Another tip:

Leave the epoxy to harden at least 24 hours and preferably 48 before hitting it with nitro. Hit it too early and you seem to get more sink-back. After 48 hours, I get none.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:10 pm

I don't use a brush, but I've seen Rick Turner comment that he uses disposable foam brushes. Especially on necks
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:29 pm

I used a rubber tile grouting squeegee on my last. seemed to work better than the credit card.

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:41 pm

During my kayak building days the word from the wise was to buy a bunch of cheap brushes and use them once. But cheap brushes shed bristles, mine did anyway. So foam was the go. But that was when we wanted to lay a fair bit of epoxy down to fill the weave of the fibre glass. Not sure I'd want to do that on a guitar where you're just going to sand most of it off again. The squeegee works better in as far as laying down just the right amount. At least for me. A few thin coats.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:13 pm

Dominic wrote:I end up with some sinking of the finish into grain lines after about 6 months. So reading the Gore/Gilet book Trevor suggests brushing the epoxy and leveling it so I thought I'd give this a try.

Dom, what type of epoxy are you using. And on what type of wood are you getting the sink back happening
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:06 am

Hey, I've used mostly Zpoxy but have tried west systems. I prefer Zpoxy. Sands easier than WS. My problem was when sanding back to wood and opening up small pores. I notice it most on the headstock where lots of prep and pore filling I still get a bit of sink back it I sand back to wood.
I tried a brush but had better results using a soft rubber spreader/squeegy. A light hand can leave a nice flat finish with care. A bit more practice and I'll be able to get a good even coverage with 2 coats.
Cheers
Dom

ernie
Myrtle

Post by ernie » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:05 am

I use acid swab brushes their cheap 25 cents a piece with metal handle , and thrown away after using epoxy.Costs more $ in acetone than its worth. Don/tknow if you can get them in OZ. woodworking suppliers here carry them .Think plumbers use them as well

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:01 am

A problem I find with alot of the cheaper brushes is the acetone actually melts the glue that holds the bristles in. I just use the brush once and then biff it...wasteful yes but acetone is cr*p stuff to deal with and after youve washed your brushes you've got a pot of acetone to get rid of.
Martin

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:40 pm

Keep the used actetone for the initial wash of the brush, then use a little bit of clean stuff to wash the brush. Keep a lip on the old stuff and I found the old glue or resin sinks. The clean acetone keeps your old stuff from getting too crappy.
I found a really nice squeegy that leaves a very flat finish so I won't use a brush, but I clean it as described above.
Dom