Help with Plane Selection

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

sam
Sassafras

Help with Plane Selection

Post by sam » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:19 am

HI

I'm making a tool shopping list and am confused by the choices on the web sites. May I please have some plane wisdom?

Below is what I have and I'm hoping you'll tell me what other planes you would use if you were in my shoes.

Current inventory: no.2 Stanley; Craftsman (250mm X 60mm sole) and a wooden 'Ulmia' brand, about the same size. Those planes have 45 degree blades and are in good nick. I also have a small block plane (140mm X 42mm sole) and 22 degree blade) number on it is 108, no brand, good nick.

I note C----tech sells a range of plane qualities. What does one get for one's money?

Thanks,

Sam

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Help with Plane Selection

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:21 pm

I have over a dozen planes and use them all. But if I had to whittle them down to three, I would want a low angle block plane, a high angle block plane and the Veritas adjustable mouth low angle bevel-up jack, which can work as both low and high angle (depending on the bevel you put on the blade) and will do all of the large plane jobs required in guitar making very well.

For the block planes, all the Stanley type clones can be made to work well if you put enough tuning effort in, but the Lie-Neilsen and Veritas ones work fine straight out of the box. IMO the Veritas ones are better value. All of my Stanley/Bailey pattern planes have after-market blades in (generally harder and thicker than stock).

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:25 pm

Sam wrote:HI

Current inventory: no.2 Stanley; Craftsman (250mm X 60mm sole) and a wooden 'Ulmia' brand, about the same size. Those planes have 45 degree blades and are in good nick. I also have a small block plane (140mm X 42mm sole) and 22 degree blade) number on it is 108, no brand, good nick.
If the Stanley is a modern one then it'll do good service as a door stop. The modern Stanleys are very badly made and usually dont even respond to a tune up.

I have alot of planes but the ones that get the most use are my Veritas and LN low angle block planes, my LN smoother (has toothed and normal blade) and a Veritas jointer.

The Veritas planes are good value for money as are some of the older Stanleys.
Martin

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:06 pm

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.a ... 1182,52515

I recently got one of these and its lovely. I see they are now selling with the new super duper blade. I think it is still cheaper to get them from LeeValley than CT.
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi Sam,
I'm into the old planes, I have lots and lots :) I stopped counting once I got past 200 . I can just see my Missus now shaking her head once again :shock:

Any how I have about 5 or six working block planes above the bench,and if you are thinking of buying old, the knuckle joint block plane is my favorite. this one just sold in the US

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130768407429 ... 1423.l2649

They fit the hand beautifully, are low angle and have the mouth adjustment, the adjuster wheel to raise or lower, like the one in the picture is the one to go for.there is another type of wheel which does the job but I don't like it as much

Here is another type of block plane, no mouth adjustment but a bargain.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110953419329 ... _cvip=true

Trevor's mention of replacing the blade is an option if the original wont hold an edge.
I'd be interested to know what you like to use Trevor ,if you see this . Hock ?

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:49 pm

auscab wrote: Trevor's mention of replacing the blade is an option if the original wont hold an edge.
I'd be interested to know what you like to use Trevor ,if you see this .
My HSS blades (M2) came from Paul at Academy Saw Works when he was still in Rydalmere, NSW (years ago). I think he's now based in QLD (Caloundra??) but I think you can still get his blades via HNT Gordon.

I also have some Lie-Neilsen after-market blades (A2) for my Stanley/Baileys, but rumour has it that Ron Hock might be supplying these. Dunno. I can't tell the difference between Lie-Neilsen A2 and Veritas A2.