Adhesive tape for bindings

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Adhesive tape for bindings

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:04 pm

To date Ive been using dress makers bias binding to hold in bindings and purfs until the glue sets. For the next instrument Im going to try using adhesive tape to hold the bindings on. Ive seen people use brown parcel tape, masking tape and other tapes.

I'd be interested to see what everyone in here is using.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:13 pm

We're using the brown tape from LMI Martin.

Every few months I get a few rolls thrown in with the order. Same with the LMI white glue.

We have used tape from the local hardware with sort of string running through it which I reckon is just as good. In fact in some situations it's better because it won't break over sharp edges.

We also use the brown tape for clamping heel caps. Seems to do a better job than a clamp as it pulls the edges down to a nice tight fit and the cap doesn't twist like when you tighten the clamp.

I used it yesterday on the veneer on the back of the headstock (in conjunction with clamps), again to pull it down a little more where the volute is.

Bob

Arnt
Blackwood

Post by Arnt » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:56 pm

Brown tape form Stewmac or figerglass reinforced packing tape if I need more pressure. I use a hair dryer to gently warm this tape before removing it, as it makes it less sticky and reduces the chance for pulling up splinters on the soundboard (if it does pull up splinters, I take is as the soundboard's way of telling me it needs to be thinned in this area :roll: )
Arnt Rian,
Norway

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:03 pm

On softwoods it also it pays to remove the tape at a 45 degree angle to the grain, a little heat and work the angle and you will be fine.

cheers

Kim

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:21 am

I had used 3M blue tape, but when I switched to StewMac's brown tape I was thrilled. About a 1/4 of the cost of the blue tape and works a treat. Like Bob said, just get a couple of rolls thrown in the next time you make an order.

Don't use it to tape bindings together before going into the bending form though. The heat really sets the glue and it's a exercise in patience to get it off.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:01 am

I just use whatever masking tape is closest when I start the job. For the last couple it's been 3M green masking tape. I like it 'cause it's got some stretch and keeps pressure on the binding while the glue dries.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:03 am

Thanks for the responses to the query.

Last night I did some bindings on the classical and used some book binding tape I found lurking down the back of the local stationery shop....normal price $11.50 but I got it for $2.

ap404
Myrtle

Post by ap404 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:14 am

+1 for the green painters tape ( if it's fresh )