Introductions - a polite request

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Introductions - a polite request

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:03 pm

Have you recently joined the forum? Please take the time to put up a short post introducing yourself.....its polite and we'd like to know who you are. It doesn't matter how many guitars you've built...we don't even care if you dont have any builds at all under your belt. :D

If you've joined purely to take advantage of the specials put on by our preferred vendors than please still introduce yourself.....not doing so is a bit like going to a barbie and heading straight for the grub and p*ss without introducing yourself :?
Martin

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Re: Introductions - a polite request

Post by Tod Gilding » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:12 am

Yeah Really, You Shouldn't head straight for the grub and p*ss :shock:
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

kiwinoz62
Blackwood

Post by kiwinoz62 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:27 am

lmao :lol:
cheers wayne . . .

'keep on strummin'

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:35 am

As KRudd would say......"fair shake of the sauce bottle mate"
Martin

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:29 pm

:gui :gui :gui :gui :gui :gui :gui :gui :gui :gui Got any more P,,ss?
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

rdale
Gidgee

Post by rdale » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:00 am

Hi

Responding to the polite request (probably in the wrong thread ...). I actually joined the forum a year or so back but have only started visiting again recently.

As I mentioned in my debut posting a week or so back re spool clamps, I built my first guitar just under a year ago at Jungle Guitars in Goa (http://www.jungleguitars.com/). It's not your professional lutherie setup: a larger proportion of hand-tools that you'd find in a properly set up workshop, and an occasional consequent deficit in attributes like symmetry. But I loved it; best holiday I've had in years.

You always love your first-born I suppose, but the guitar I built has its flaws that I aim to attend to at some point. I will probably redo some of the finishing, but my bigger concerns are that (a) I know at least one of the frets is out by maybe half a millimetre (hasty and careless sawing on my part) and (b) the tone seems a bit, well, thin, or something like that; hard to describe. So some work to be done: removal and repositioning of a fret, and maybe some reduction in mass of the braces, probably enlightened by some of the Gore and Giles analysis once I get my head around that. Have yet to work out a plan for those tasks.

No sooner was I off the plane with my child than I started devouring lutherie websites and the like; I bought Trevor and Gerard's books, and because I live not to far from Trevor, I collected them in person; my dropping in for five minutes became a conversation with Trevor for well over an hour, trying out guitars and talking about construction techniques. Now I really was hooked.

I decided for my second build to use a kit, since (a) that would reduce the incremental cost of TAS and (b) allow me to focus on precision assembly skills rather than shaping aspects; one thing at a time. I bought a Stewmac 000 kit, but it's been in the shed for two or three weeks now with no glue yet applied. This is probably the week where it begins, now that I have my spool clamps done.

So that's where I'm at. Looking forward to participating in the forum.

Robert

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:51 am

There was beer??? Where??? When?????? Damn!
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:52 pm

Hey you know what, we've got all these new blokes wondering around eating snags and drinking beer and we know who they are but they don't know who we are. Perhaps it would be worth all of us doing a brief who am I and were is my shop.

OK, names Dominic, originally from Margaret River in WA where I was into surfing and making surfboards, growing farm trees and working at my mates organic vineyard. We lived off-grid with our own solar and wind power and water. It was beautiful. Then I studied economics and ended up with my long time partner Julie in Canberra where I started making guitars about 5 years ago. I love the technical approaches to our ancient craft found in the Gore/Gilet books. I hosted a course on modal tuning run by Trevor in June for a small group and it was great to meet all the people behind the forum names.

Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:34 pm

Good idea Dom, here goes.

I joined the forum in 2005 after wanting to build a guitar for years. The experienced builders here have been a wonderful help to me especially in my early building ventures and I don't think I could have had success without their help. No such thing as a silly question here and I like that very much about this community.

I have worked in music retail for many years in Bendigo first, then Ballarat and ten years here in Townsville. During that time I gained heaps of experience setting up and repairing stringed instruments. Before building my first acoustic instruments I researched guitar building for two years and then jumped in the deep end and built two weissenborn style guitars. Instantly hooked! I have slowly bought some hand tools, a small bandsaw, drum sander, drill press and bench sander for this obsessive hobby. I like to use hand tools for most of the building but the bandsaw sure beats the hell out of a hand saw which I used to build my first two acoustics. Next was a workshop which took a year to have my single car garage enclosed by a shop fitter friend. I am currently building number fourteen acoustic at the moment and each build I am trying to imrove my build quality and tone. I hope to retire in five years time and build more instruments. My first guitar has hand written under the top, "First of Many" and this latest will have "Fourteenth of Many". :D

My day job is running my music teaching business.

Thanks for taking the time to read my intro.

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:45 pm

Whoops, that should be 2007 I joined the forum.

Cheers
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

DonW
Gidgee

Post by DonW » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:13 am

I'm not exactly new, but don't get over to this site as much as I'd like. It IS completely across the planet, after all.

Anyway, the name is Don Williams. I've been building since around '95 or '96 or so. At least that's when I started. I think. Some of you may know me more for the binding jig with my name somehow attached to it. Others just probably wish they didn't know me. ;-)

Current projects are one of my Smiley-Uke's (TM) and a Brazilian/Red spruce OM. I started a few other projects but those are currently on hold while I finish these two.

I also have a CNC. Now some of you folks might consider me a cheater because I have and use one, but that's okay. I can live with that. I say, if a barn needs painting, then you paint it. And if a guy has limitations to his skills with hand tools, you just need to find other ways, like using power tools. I guess to me it's just like another power tool, but you control it differently than a normal power tool. Well anyway... Hi all.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:56 am

I grew up on the Sunshine Coast of Canada. That's north of Vancouver and looking across to Vancouver Island about 20 miles away. Immigrated to Australia exactly 10 years ago today.

Was invited to join the forum by it's founding members back in 2007 and very quickly preferred it's easy going and friendly vibe to other forums I'd been on.

I've worked as a panel beater/spray painter for 34 years and still work full time at that, as well as spending 7 days a week in my shed building instruments.

I started out building a Dread back in 2006, as that what everyone played right? :D Then started going smaller. Much preferring that type of instrument. That trend continued and now almost all of my work is in ukuleles.

I teach classes building from my shop at home to small groups and to larger groups with my mate Micheal Connor. I've lost count of the number of students but I think it's between 110 and 120 to date. And more signed up. It does make it difficult to get anything else done though, so it's a juggling act between completing commissions and keeping the class waiting list to a manageable length.

I'm living my dream, and wouldn't change a thing.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:04 am

Don't mind being the designated driver, just this once, but we'll have no bawdy songs on the way home like Charlotte the Har....and the Hairs on her ,,,,never mind. (Bloody mate of mine started whistling those numbers a few weeks back and i can't get rid of those damned tunes since.)
And Don "smiley face" Williams fantastic work, people owe lots of thanks you know. Plenty only participate but not really contribute so I reckon there'd would be many folks happy to know you.

Steve

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:01 am

I started luthiery in 2000 because cheap mandolins were exey and nasty. Somehow I knew my wife wouldn't understand a parade of new mandos after getting
the guitars finally sorted. It's gone from there.

The elec. db's started when I was asked to make one. A bass player saw an elec. fiddle I made for my teacher and wanted a bass. That went well till I raised my prices,
the gfc hit, and the dollar went through the roof. I went from 5 - 6 a year to 1 - 2 a year. It was never a big earner, I just like doing it. I have 3 in stock.

Now I'm making acoustic instruments strictly as a mandarin activity for myself. So far a db, an archie, 3 mandos and a viola. The archie went to a mate and I get to see it
every 3 - 4 weeks. A mando is out on loan.

I'm a tradesman cabinetmaker and have built fine furniture from these premises since 1990.

"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:18 am

Born in California, moved to Scotland at a young age, then to Australia back in '64.
Went to UNSW and got a degree in Civil Engineering and pursued that path for about 18 years doing both construction and design.
Changed courses in life and have been working in Massage Therapy since.

I have been playing guitar since I was 12 and did my first refret back in the mid '70s
I started building instruments about 15 years ago, first with African drums, Xylophones, Flutes, a Kora and my first electric about 9 years ago.

Since then, more electrics, weissenborns, SS acoustics,Baritone, Ukuleles, Classical and Flamencos.

deadedith
Myrtle

Post by deadedith » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:34 am

Born in California, the San Francisco Bay area; entered the Air Force after a couple years' college and served in Texas, the Phillipines and 'Nam. Texas was by far the most dangerous - they called us 'flyboys' and we returned the favor with 'goat ropers.' But lordy what gorgeous women in Texas.
Moved to Southern Oregon 1990. Married non-stop since 1971.
B.A. in Philosophy, which qualifies me to deliver pizza. But thoughtfully. :-)

10 guitars built, none has any great 'allure' but I'm learning all the time - I'm retired so have the time to put into it.
Dave Bagwill

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:47 am

Hi, my name is Craig, and I'm a luthier-holic.
I started out as just a recreational abuser in 2005, spending the odd weekend doodling with tools I didn't really understand & timber I understood even less.
Quicker than I thought it became addictive.
I started thinking about it at work, spending my time researching instead of performing my duties.
I couldn't stop.
My mind would be occupied with the next build step. Always: during dinner conversations, during children's birthday parties, during intimate moments with my wife.......
I couldn't help it.
Soon one guitar a year wasn't enough, then nor was two, then before I knew it I was trying to push an ever more expanding number of instruments out my workshop door.
Something had to happen.
During an intervention I was directed towards this this forum.
I've found it a haven for fellow sufferers like me.
I'll always be an addict, but know I can release the pent up queries & confusions to people who understand, and in a place that welcomes my participation, leaving me capable to live, love & laugh in the "real" world.
Thankyou for the ANZLF, and thanks for those that make it happen.

Now, again, where is that beer you all keep ranting on about?
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:01 am

deadedith wrote:Born in California, the San Francisco Bay area; entered the Air Force after a couple years' college and served in Texas, the Phillipines and 'Nam. Texas was by far the most dangerous - they called us 'flyboys' and we returned the favor with 'goat ropers.' But lordy what gorgeous women in Texas.
Moved to Southern Oregon 1990. Married non-stop since 1971.
B.A. in Philosophy, which qualifies me to deliver pizza. But thoughtfully. :-)

10 guitars built, none has any great 'allure' but I'm learning all the time - I'm retired so have the time to put into it.

I was at Ft. Hood Tx. till seperation in 1969. The 'goat ropers ' called us "dogs' as in "getem dogs!".
I was attached to civilians putting in a phone exchange at W. Ft. Hood. Ft. Hood thought I lived at W. Ft. Hood and W. Ft. Hood thought I lived at Ft. Hood. I lived in town, no formations, no haircuts, no lifers, no army my last year! :gui

Bill

Phil Mailloux
Myrtle

Post by Phil Mailloux » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:08 am

That thread has really opened up today, awesome! great to find out more about the usual crew.
P Bill wrote: I'm a tradesman cabinetmaker and have built fine furniture from these premises since 1990.
Hello-oh?! You sound like a fly-by-nighter by saying "these premises since 1990" that means your current workshop! You gotta say you've been a pro fine cabinet maker for over 40 years man! Bill is the woodwork guru, I pop in at his place anytime I have any questions about woodworking. It helps that its around the corner though. Geez man, don't undersell yourself :mrgreen:
OzBassForum.com
MaillouxBasses.com

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:13 pm

Cheers Phil

Bill

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:57 pm

I joined the forum early 2012. Been building guitars for about 4 years, 6 ss guitars 1 classical and another classical started. I'm from Melbourne western suburbs, did my apprentiship with Ansett Airlines in the early 70's, lived in Perth for 4 years 75-79. Been concreting for the last 20 or so years, it's a bit hard on the old bones, i'd love to build guitars full time but it dosen't pay the bills, maybe when i retire. This is a great forum and i'm glad to be a part of it.
Wayne

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:47 pm

Here's me. Name's Nick, born in Perth, WA. Grew up in and around NEwYork City, mostly. A sprinkling of other places, like Denmark and Spain, but was too young to really remember. Came back to Oz in 2004 and have been living in Repentangce Creek, Bangalow, Lennox HEad and now in Brunswick Heads, after marrying....

Wife gave me a stack of wood for Xmas last, and I found the forum while looking for information on finishing....Now got a second done, and two underway, with plans for two more in the near future....Guess you could say I'm hooked.

I've been a soldier, a carpet layer, a medical laboratorty technologist, a builder and now a restauranteur....

Like most here, I'd love to do this full time, but don't have the time :lol:

I've learned heaps and appreciate the welcoming nature of this forum to some others I've visited. I hope one day to know enough to return the help I've received..

Thanks to all...
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

Shane Woonton
Blackwood

Post by Shane Woonton » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:47 am

I'm the token Aussie swimming against the tide... which is another way of saying I moved from Sydney to NZ 4 years ago, but originally from Canberra.

My first build was a semi-hollow electric lapsteel (about 3 years ago) because I didn't have the balls to build an acoustic from scratch. Moved to Wellington 3 years ago and took the opportunity to take Dave Freeman and Paddy Burgin's course here in Jan last year. Since then I've been driving my wife mad using all of my spare time building acoustics. Started number 7 yesterday, my first commission! Also built a small electric for my 6YO.

My real life is in the apparel industry where I work for a little kiwi outfit called Icebreaker. The global nature of the business gets me overseas a fair bit and I'm fortunate that our US office is in Portland Oregon. I bring back a load of wood and materials in my luggage each trip - very convenient!

Can't wait for the day I get a workshop set up. For now it's the spare bedroom and sunny days on the outside deck. WIth the exception of a laminate trimmer and the occasional visit to my mate's bandsaw it's all hand tools for me.

Cheers,

Shane

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:31 am

My name's Nick and I'm an alcoholic.......................whoops, wrong meeting :oops: :lol:
I started life as a little snot nosed kid back in London, England & shifted out to Un Zud when I was just about to enter my teen years. Absolutely loved it out here so am more of a Kiwi than a Pome. I've always been interested in musical instruments (I can play...sort of, clarinet, drums keyboards & guitar/bass, of which I played in a band for a few years but none to any level approximating 'expert' :roll: ). I learnt guitar from a guy that was dating my older sister & just bought an el cheapo Ply jobby to learn on, then being a fairly practical guy (My father always instilled in me the mantra "If somebody else made one, there's no reason you can't!") at 16 I decided to make my own. Knew nothing about what I was doing or how a guitar should be built & I'd only got a rudimentary high school woodworking knowledge but still managed to get a tune out of it at the end. Would hate to think what the intonation was like as I just glued flattened wire down onto the FB in positions the same (give or take a millimeter :lol: ) as the guitar I had, I knew nothing of scale lengths e.t.c back then.

I got married quite young & was finishing an apprenticeship as a tool & diemaker (making plastic moulds e.t.c) & just getting through life (marriage, mortgage, children) brought a stop to my musical playing/building career until my marriage collapsed and I got back into playing. This of course led me to wanting to build my own guitars again & I focused on electrics as I still knew nothing about how acoustics were glued together (this was pre-internet days so googling for info hadn't been invented!). I bought Ralph Denyer's "Guitar handbook" & the mysteries of scale length & fret spacing were presented to me so now I could even make the necks! What a revelation. I made some for myself (too many :oops: ) and people saw them & wanted one made so that's when I started knocking them out for others. I also did repairs & resprays for one of the music shops in town, the resprays took over as it ended up being 90% of my work. It was good as I really got my sunbursting chops up during this time and got paid to do it :D . That was 25 years ago when I started & I'm a relative newcomer to building acoustics, I've only been building these for the past 5 years but absolutely loving the challenge.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:41 am

Shane Woonton wrote:
My first build was a semi-hollow electric lapsteel (about 3 years ago) because I didn't have the balls to build an acoustic from scratch. Moved to Wellington 3 years ago and took the opportunity to take Dave Freeman and Paddy Burgin's course here in Jan last year.
I did Dave and Paddy's course back in 2005....there seems to be a few graduates from that course lurking around both sides of the Tasman. Was Dave wearing one of his wild 1970's tie-died T shirts during the course?
Martin