Scarf Joint - Planer Sled

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

demonx
Blackwood

Scarf Joint - Planer Sled

Post by demonx » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:07 pm

Just made this little jigga today.

Works quite nicely.

First pass I tried holding it by hand and the neck blank vibrated around a bit in the jig

Second attempt I clamped it with a quick grip. This clamp moved slightly.

Third attempt I used a more reliable clamp and the slide worked a treat. Much better than the jig I've been using in the past.

demonx
Blackwood

Re: Scarf Joint - Planer Sled

Post by demonx » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:15 pm

I just realised I posted this in the wrong section - if a mod could move it please. Sorry.

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Nice idea Allan....I wont actually use it as I am a bit of a hand plane junkie and use my BS to make the cut and my trusty planes to true the surface...but its a nice idea! :)

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:27 pm

woodrat wrote:Nice idea Allan....I wont actually use it as I am a bit of a hand plane junkie and use my BS to make the cut and my trusty planes to true the surface...but its a nice idea! :)

John
I also make the initial cut with a bandsaw.

I like to use a hand plane on some jobs, but with a critical joint like this - I'd rather use the jointer.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:38 pm

You gotta get a better bandsaw and blade. Mine comes off the saw ready to glue. :D Did 4 today in about 5 minutes total from board to clamped up.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:01 pm

Allen wrote:You gotta get a better bandsaw and blade. Mine comes off the saw ready to glue. :D Did 4 today in about 5 minutes total from board to clamped up.
My bandsaw blade is probably only a month old! I'd never trust a joint fresh off a blade. I'd rather plane them every time.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:05 pm

demonx wrote:
Allen wrote:You gotta get a better bandsaw and blade. Mine comes off the saw ready to glue. :D Did 4 today in about 5 minutes total from board to clamped up.
My bandsaw blade is probably only a month old! I'd never trust a joint fresh off a blade. I'd rather plane them every time.
I do mine on the table saw using a jig.....usually only need a few swipes with the plane and they get glued up. Ive done them on the bandsaw as well and have never needed to do much finishing with a plane to get a good joint.
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:12 pm

kiwigeo wrote: I do mine on the table saw using a jig.....usually only need a few swipes with the plane and they get glued up. Ive done them on the bandsaw as well and have never needed to do much finishing with a plane to get a good joint.
I used to use a jig for my mitre saw and had similar results, looked like it was good to go fresh off the blade - but I still always ran a couple passes over the planer to be safe. I've gone back to running it through the bandsaw following a greylead line. Less messing around.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:14 pm

Please forgive me for taking away from your post. The jig is well thought out and will be of use to many that have a jointer but not a well set up saw. Be that a table saw or bandsaw.

I use a carbide tipped blade that makes a cut that looks like it went through the drum sander. Hot hide glue and a couple of clamps. Doesn't get much easier than that.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

MBP
Blackwood

Post by MBP » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:24 pm

Allen wrote:Please forgive me for taking away from your post. The jig is well thought out and will be of use to many that have a jointer but not a well set up saw. Be that a table saw or bandsaw.

I use a carbide tipped blade that makes a cut that looks like it went through the drum sander. Hot hide glue and a couple of clamps. Doesn't get much easier than that.
I have seen that in one of your videos on YouTube. Is that your saw and workshop?

Most table saws wouldn't be able to make a big enough cut for guitar necks in one go.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:40 pm

My table saw is not big enough to do it in one cut.

The bandsaw is, but one thing im not good at is achieving a good bandsaw cut. Ive got to hand plane it for a nice finish
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:28 pm

demonx wrote:
Its not so much to with with the blade as it is about the quality of saw, its guides and how it is set up. A well balance band or table saw gives amazing results and that kind of accuracy is most easily achieved from old iron with the weight and structure to deliver vibration free operation, that, a good set of guides, a quality blade suited to the task at hand and a careful set up delivers unbelievable results and I would trust this over the finish that a straight cut jointer head could deliver any day, regardless of how sharp the knives and how slowly feed rate had been. I know that both methods, if done well are good enough, but I still can't help but use a block plane to finish off anyhow simply because of how it sounds and feels and how the finish feels from a finely tuned quality hand plane...unsurpassable.

Cheers

Kim

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:02 pm

MBP wrote:
Allen wrote:Please forgive me for taking away from your post. The jig is well thought out and will be of use to many that have a jointer but not a well set up saw. Be that a table saw or bandsaw.

I have seen that in one of your videos on YouTube. Is that your saw and workshop?

Most table saws wouldn't be able to make a big enough cut for guitar necks in one go.
My 10" Jet table saw handles the cut no problems and its a pretty average saw.
Martin

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:38 pm

Im lost just a bit anyway, why does it matter whether the top of the neck is going to be perfectly square, unless this is like prep work for a peghead overlay
Steve
Master of nothing,

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:47 pm

simso wrote:Im lost just a bit anyway, why does it matter whether the top of the neck is going to be perfectly square, unless this is like prep work for a peghead overlay
Of prime importance is that the two glue surfaces are flat. Having the cut square is less critical but for me it makes glue up alot easier....I sit the neck and headstock on edge on a flat surface and clamp to same for glue up. If the cut isn't square it just wont work.
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:49 pm

simso wrote:Im lost just a bit anyway, why does it matter whether the top of the neck is going to be perfectly square, unless this is like prep work for a peghead overlay
Theres two surfaces that can be used in scarf joints, some people (old school) laminate underneath, a more modern version laminates on top. Acoustic builders tend to use the older style.

I laminate on top, hense the need for a perfect surface.

If it's not square, then the headstock will not be square. I pre cut my headstock, thickness it, pre shape it and drill the machine head holes, then glue it to this planed surface

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:55 pm

The 3,4,11 & 12 pics in this should help explain what I mean:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4484
Last edited by demonx on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:57 pm

Okay, understand, when I make a neck, I use the scarf cut as the upper surface that will sit under any peghead overlay, Im really not worried about the top side as Ive got to plane that to shape after ive put the head on, this is why I couldnt understand the need for perfection as sort by a jointer of the top side prior to glue up.
Steve
Master of nothing,

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:00 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Of prime importance is that the two glue surfaces are flat. Having the cut square is less critical but for me it makes glue up alot easier....I sit the neck and headstock on edge on a flat surface and clamp to same for glue up. If the cut isn't square it just wont work.
The confusion is cleared, he uses the scarf cut as the clamping surface, I dont do mine that way, but now it makes sense
Steve
Master of nothing,

Phil Mailloux
Myrtle

Post by Phil Mailloux » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:06 am

I do my angled headstocks,the same way Demonx, but the scary way, without the jig :lol: I might just build me one like this, be better not to push my luck too much

Do you have a link to those bandsaw blades, the ones I usually get are shyte, or maybe its just the operator that's shyte at setting up the machine :roll:
OzBassForum.com
MaillouxBasses.com

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:47 am

The saw in the video is one of Micheal's. He's the one that put me on to these blades.

I've got a 20" Jet saw. Upgraded the crappy guides to some really good ones and use a Lenox blade.. Liam got a blade for his 14" saw after using mine and was amazed at the difference.

You can get the blades at lots of places. Just gotta know what you are looking for.

These blades are not cheap. But they will last years. You can cut just about anything that you would dare push through the saw. Cuts Gidgee like it was butter. The one thing that is struggles with oddly is Spanish Cedar and Palonia. Those long stringy fibres are a lot tougher than you would think. But then again, my table saw struggles cutting them as well.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:47 am

I don't have a table saw or a jointer, just the type with no motor, you push it to make it go :( :(
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

lauburu
Blackwood

Post by lauburu » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:17 am

I also bought a TCT tipped blade after seeing Allen's bandsaw at work. A huge improvement in ease of cutting, smoothness of cut surface etc. Operator still needs an upgrade but well worth the extra cost.
Miguel

MBP
Blackwood

Post by MBP » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:56 pm

Kim wrote:
Its not so much to with with the blade as it is about the quality of saw, its guides and how it is set up. A well balance band or table saw gives amazing results and that kind of accuracy is most easily achieved from old iron with the weight and structure to deliver vibration free operation, that, a good set of guides, a quality blade suited to the task at hand and a careful set up delivers unbelievable results and I would trust this over the finish that a straight cut jointer head could deliver any day, regardless of how sharp the knives and how slowly feed rate had been. I know that both methods, if done well are good enough, but I still can't help but use a block plane to finish off anyhow simply because of how it sounds and feels and how the finish feels from a finely tuned quality hand plane...unsurpassable.

Cheers

Kim
Its nice to think all the big old machines are great but a lot of them are junk. It doesnt matter how you get there so long as it is all square. If Allan is getting it right with the jointer good on him. What does it matter how it sounds doing it? :dru
Allen wrote:The saw in the video is one of Micheal's. He's the one that put me on to these blades.

I've got a 20" Jet saw. Upgraded the crappy guides to some really good ones and use a Lenox blade.. Liam got a blade for his 14" saw after using mine and was amazed at the difference.

You can get the blades at lots of places. Just gotta know what you are looking for.

These blades are not cheap. But they will last years. You can cut just about anything that you would dare push through the saw. Cuts Gidgee like it was butter. The one thing that is struggles with oddly is Spanish Cedar and Palonia. Those long stringy fibres are a lot tougher than you would think. But then again, my table saw struggles cutting them as well.
He has a great set up. Do you check the cut with a straight edge before gluing?

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:32 pm

MBP wrote:Do you check the cut with a straight edge before gluing?
That is something I always do. Vertical, horizontal and diagnal.

I was doing this joint for a while using the linisher, but holding it at the exact angle was hit and miss, just like dragging it across the jointer without a sled is hit and miss. They look great till you put a straight edge on them and see a bit of sunlight sneaking through!

I agree with your comment though - it really doesnt matter HOW it gets done as each person is going to have their own preference, as long as it's done and the joint is perfect.