Gore medium SS clone #2-4

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dominic
Blackwood

Re: Gore medium SS clone #2-4

Post by Dominic » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:08 am

Hi Mike, it does not matter as long as your drum is level. You can do tapered fb's as well.
Think of it like the router version that sits on curved rails, but this time keep the router (or drum sander level) and tilt the fb around the radius. As I mentioned, these rails are 16", I'll make a set of 12" and show how I do it and the ends of the fb block and how it runs in the groove. Its a neat idea but not mine.
Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Post by Mike Thomas » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:48 am

Thanks Dom. This thread is turning out to be particularly instructive.
Mike Thomas

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method"

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:19 am

Cool, I am glad my ideas are useful to someone. He is a link to the original jig I copied.
Cheers
Dom
http://www.luthiersuppliers.com/products/p12.html

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:34 am

A great looking jig but there's one modification I'd make purely for safety reasons. I think the base of the jig should be a bit longer so you can push the fretboard through the drum sander and not have your hand anywhere near the business end of the sander.
Martin

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:08 am

Its really the same as just putting a fb through. Just stick your hand under the drum. The infeed table gives enough room to get it going and then I let the feed belt do the work and I don't need to put my hands anywhere near it.
I worried that if there is too much overhang there is more chance of it unbalancing at the beginning and end of the cut and causing snipe.

I know what you mean though, I am far more aware of the spinning drum and getting sucked in there when the drum is high. I imagine getting my sleeve caught and pulling my arm into the drum spinning 60 grit and what that would do to my fretting hand. That stops me getting too slack and keeps me focussed. Yeow. Same with my thicknesser which is even more scary when it high. I do this with all my dangerous machines. Not by choice. I've had a few lucky escapes when I was learning these tools and I find myself going through all the possible things that could hurt me now before turning a machine on. Mild OCD can have it place.
Cheers
Dom

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:06 pm

Hi Dom,
+1 on what Mike said.
I like your jig For the bridge pin holes , specially the clear
sheet with the center line.
How do you use the six ss pins? is it for when you glue up the plate or for drilling?

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Hi Rob, I had six holes so I made six pins. 4 are for when I glue the braces to keep them off the holes. And I does not hurt to drop a pin in each holes when it is drilled to keep everything lined up.
Some shrink tube stuff on one end of the pins would stop them dropping through the holes and hiding in the sawdust on my floor.
Cheers
Dom