Falcate braced classical

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Falcate braced classical

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:22 pm

Okay I did a run of tap testing with the guitar held....lower waist on my knee and top edge against my chest. I held neck mid way with my left hand.

Heres a plot of data from guitar sitting on foam blocks and with the instrument held. Mic was around 50-60mm from bridge area.
Holding Guitar.jpg
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:02 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Mic was around 50-60mm from bridge area.
Martin, try backing the mic off to ~50-60cm. I should have picked that one up last time I asked you! Sorry about that.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:38 pm

trevtheshed wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:Mic was around 50-60mm from bridge area.
Martin, try backing the mic off to ~50-60cm. I should have picked that one up last time I asked you! Sorry about that.
Got a huge piss up Geologists lunch on tomorrow but if I get time do another tap test run with mic further away as suggested.
Martin

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:14 am

Just started french polishing mine yesterday and took some readings pre bridge
I'm getting around 79 and 178, with a small soundhole to support the low B string.
Bit lower on the top than I wanted, we'll see where it goes with the bridge on, I have a few ideas to bring it up.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:28 am

Ok I redid tap tests holding the guitar and with the mic at 50cm from soundhole. Peaks are still essentially the same but frequencies have dropped a few Hz. The interesting little peak at around 20Hz is interesting. I clamped G clamps to the headstock and gripped the neck to suppress vibration of same but it didnt have much effect on the peak. Ditto for the extra monopoles between T(1,1)1 and T(1,1)2 peaks. Plot shows data recorded holding guitar in normal fashion and with mic 50-60mm from bridge and 50cm from soundhole.
010 Mic at 50cm.jpg
Martin

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:48 am

Hey Martin, i was getting jaggy plots like yours at first and it turned out to be double tapping on a micro level. I started using the corner of the rubber so on contact it did not slap and my plots started looking like the book. Also light taps with a light touch so the hammer bounces right off. That might make the plot easier to read. More important for plate thicknessing.
Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:58 am

Dominic wrote:Hey Martin, i was getting jaggy plots like yours at first and it turned out to be double tapping on a micro level. I started using the corner of the rubber so on contact it did not slap and my plots started looking like the book. Also light taps with a light touch so the hammer bounces right off. That might make the plot easier to read. More important for plate thicknessing.
Cheers
Dom
Dom,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've paid close attention to my tapping. I try and keep striking pressure the same and I bounce the eraser off the board once. I let the hammer fall from horizontal to the board rather than letting my arm muscles provide the effort. Am using one corner of the rubber as well.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:32 pm

Made up laminated bridge blank today. Discovered how tough CF cloth impregnated with epoxy is when I ran my plane over the blank.....left a dirty big nick out of the plane blade :?
Martin

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:35 pm

ouch
I use my disc sander or spindle sander for shaping anything Laminated with CF

Glad you survived the geologists lunch.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:43 pm

jeffhigh wrote:ouch
I use my disc sander or spindle sander for shaping anything Laminated with CF

Glad you survived the geologists lunch.
Survived...but have been nursing a hangover for most of the day. Managed to doze off during this evening's pilates class :(
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:24 pm

kiwigeo wrote: Discovered how tough CF cloth impregnated with epoxy is when I ran my plane over the blank.....left a dirty big nick out of the plane blade :?
It'll do the same to tungsten carbide, too!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:19 pm

Well that's enough of that sh*t.

Got halfway through routing the saddle slot into the bridge blank and the blank came loose in the jig and I ended up routing half the top layer of wood off the blank. Blank is nuked so time to make up a new blank and start again......but not today. Time to have a drink....
Martin