Guitar makers festivals

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Oakey
Wandoo

Guitar makers festivals

Post by Oakey » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:24 pm

Could anyone tell me which are the best guitar builders festivals to go to? Please can you let me know where and when they are taking place. Thanks for you help. Cheers. Oakey.

woodrat
Blackwood

Re: Guitar makers festivals

Post by woodrat » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:11 pm

G'day Oakey....There are not many around really...but of what there is they are almost all near you....in the Garden State...

There is the Melbourne Guitarmakers festival that I believe is bi-annual now (they didnt have it this year) and there is an instrument makers display at the Port Fairy folk festival. I think that there are a couple of other folk festivals (Maldon?) that have makers displays too. I live in NSW but would love to see the Melb Makers festival next year.
Probably the premier instrument makers display in the country though is the National Folk Festival Instrument Makers Display in Canberra each year. Search for it on this forum and you will see a thread from the last three years at least. I started 2010 and 2011 and Peter Coombe started the one for this year...there are lots of pics in them to get a good idea of what makers have been up to. It is open to all instruments not guitars only....

Cheers

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:41 pm

The Guitar Festival here in Adelaide features selected makers. Not sure if its by invitation or you have to pay to be included in the festival.

Ashley Sanders who is a member here is appearing this year and may be able to supply info on the set up for makers at the Adelaide Guitar Festival.
Martin

Oakey
Wandoo

Post by Oakey » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:27 pm

Thank you hugely woodrat and kiwigeo. I thought that the Melbourne Guitar Makers Festival might be bi-annual as the only info I could find on the Web was referring to 2011. I will find out about the folk festivals you mentioned and post any details that I find out. I will also look into the Adelaide Guitar festival too.

Thanks once again for your help.

Cheers, Oakey.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:34 pm

It looks as though the Melbourne Guitar Festival will run again in 2013. The format and date is being discussed at present.

I will let you know more as news comes to hand.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Oakey
Wandoo

Post by Oakey » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:11 pm

Thanks Bob. Please keep me up to speed with the Melbourne Guitar makers festival, it sounds great.

Cheers, Oakey.

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:34 pm

There were mutterings abut an event in Sydney but it seemed to have died. Perhaps with a little effort a Sydney makers get-together could be the start of something. I organised a couple 25+ years ago and it should be possible to do it again. It is mostly a matter of finding an affordable and accessible venue and getting the word out. I am happy to do stuff from Canberra, though it would be hard to do much on the ground stuff in Sydney. Basically we would need a space for 20? builders and another area for performances in the evening. All suggestions/offers of help welcomed.

graham
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:58 pm

I reckon its time for the first ANZLF guitar makers/beer festival. Of course it would be prudent to have the guitar making festival first followed by the beer festival. The other way around just wouldnt work.
Martin

MBP
Blackwood

Post by MBP » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:43 pm

kiwigeo wrote:I reckon its time for the first ANZLF guitar makers/beer festival. Of course it would be prudent to have the guitar making festival first followed by the beer festival. The other way around just wouldnt work.
:cl Small builders festival that was not run for a massive profit. Not just guitars, a bit if wood, some tools etc etc

And cashed up customers and beer :gui

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:06 pm

MBP wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:I reckon its time for the first ANZLF guitar makers/beer festival. Of course it would be prudent to have the guitar making festival first followed by the beer festival. The other way around just wouldnt work.
:cl Small builders festival that was not run for a massive profit. Not just guitars, a bit if wood, some tools etc etc

And cashed up customers and beer :gui
Of course wed run it for a huge profit...Bob, Kim and myself have a lavish lifestyle to maintain.
Martin

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:58 pm

Graham McDonald wrote:There were mutterings abut an event in Sydney but it seemed to have died. Perhaps with a little effort a Sydney makers get-together could be the start of something. I organised a couple 25+ years ago and it should be possible to do it again. It is mostly a matter of finding an affordable and accessible venue and getting the word out. I am happy to do stuff from Canberra, though it would be hard to do much on the ground stuff in Sydney. Basically we would need a space for 20? builders and another area for performances in the evening. All suggestions/offers of help welcomed.

graham

Yes Graham...this is something that is sadly lacking in NSW (Sydney). As you said there was a chap about 18 months ago who proposed the idea and then deferred the idea for 12 months but I have not heard anything more since. I will have a dig around for the original email and see if there is any life in the idea or if its a blue duck...
....It really needs an organizer that is not a maker IMO....but of course she/he would have to be a guitar enthusiast. :wink:
I would love to see a good acoustic guitar show in Sydney...or anywhere else in NSW for that matter...

John

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:49 am

[/quote]Yes Graham...this is something that is sadly lacking in NSW (Sydney). As you said there was a chap about 18 months ago who proposed the idea and then deferred the idea for 12 months but I have not heard anything more since. I will have a dig around for the original email and see if there is any life in the idea or if its a blue duck...
....It really needs an organizer that is not a maker IMO....but of course she/he would have to be a guitar enthusiast. :wink:
I would love to see a good acoustic guitar show in Sydney...or anywhere else in NSW for that matter...

John[/quote]

John, This could be a good event to hold here on the NSW Mid Nth Coast, Reasonably easy to get to fron SE QLD and also Sydney, you would be the perfect person to organise the event, I would be happy to help out with the beer sales :D

The Quotes Not working :o
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

MBP
Blackwood

Post by MBP » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:01 am

Tod Gilding wrote:
John, This could be a good event to hold here on the NSW Mid Nth Coast, Reasonably easy to get to fron SE QLD and also Sydney, you would be the perfect person to organise the event, I would be happy to help out with the beer sales :D

The Quotes Not working :o
+100. Really cheap flights from sydney. A few makers within short distance.

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:51 pm

I suggest what has to be thought about is the audience, preferably people who might be interested in buying an instrument, and that is why I am thinking Sydney rather than outside. And then somewhere which is accessible (or at least as accessible as anything would get in Sydney!). The old Everleigh Rail yards in Redfern was suggested by a friend, an arty environment that is close to transport. Have no idea about what it might cost to rent a space for the weekend. Any other suggestions welcomed.

cheers

g
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:19 pm

Graham, I think Sydney is certainly the place for the best exposure...the guitar buying public dont have an "alternative view" to the propaganda that they see in music shops and magazines in the form of glossy ads of guitars from the major manufacturers.
I have no idea how it could/should work but someone could run with the idea as a commercial venture or it could be low key not for profit....

...I have no experience in this kind of thing...just thinking out loud to put some thoughts out there.

John

MBP
Blackwood

Post by MBP » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:17 pm

There is an Australian Guitar Gear heads forum on the web. They have an annual amp festival where they hire a room and try out each others gear mainly guitars and amps. Mainly Australian amps and guitars. Quite a few makers come along and show their wares. Perhaps ANZLF could extend a welcome to the Gear Heads if anything went a head. They really do support Aussie makers but the general theme is electric guitars so a lot would be unaware of the acoustic makers in Aus.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:44 am

If it really was a guitar builders and beer festival, you might be able to get a function room at a hotel free in return for the promise of beer sales,,,,