Sandpaper

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

MBP
Blackwood

Sandpaper

Post by MBP » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:49 pm

Hi All,

Have to order some more sand paper. From 320 to about 2500.

What brand are you's all using?

Any great places you can recommend?

Thanks

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Sandpaper

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:55 pm

I generally use garnet paper. Im not happy using the stearated paper.

Grade wise I only go up to 220grit. Any finer stuff is only used for cutting back finishes.
Martin

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:54 pm

Try going up through the grades next time you fine sand a bridge Marty (ebony or otherwise). Mmm, pretty... 8)

I usually use garnet paper, purchased from The House of Bunnings.

And there is this really cool jewellers supply place in Pitt St Sydney, they got all the really fine grades of wet or dry (up to around 4000). And lots of other cool tools to drool over.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:18 am

Paul B wrote:Try going up through the grades next time you fine sand a bridge Marty (ebony or otherwise). Mmm, pretty... 8)
I sand my bridges to 220 and then go in with steel wool and finish off with a burnishing session....works for me.
Martin

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:49 am

Last time I used Garnet was 20 years back and I remember it as being like sand glued to old brown paper that would disintegrate all over the work .
Has it improved since then?

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:00 pm

auscab wrote:Last time I used Garnet was 20 years back and I remember it as being like sand glued to old brown paper that would disintegrate all over the work .
Has it improved since then?
It hasn't!

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:57 pm

I think it's just a matter of good quality garnet paper or shity quality garnet paper. The bad stuff is very bad, but good for lining the bottom of a bird cage, where it gets even shitier.

David Aumann
Wandoo

Post by David Aumann » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:18 am

If you happen to live on the east side of Melbourne, then a visit to Pete's Bargain Centre at Chirnside Park is worthwhile. He carries a huge selection of papers, linishing belts, sanding discs etc. I paper my thicknessing sander with BI-I-IG linishing belts from Pete's that I cut down myself with a Stanley knife. At $2 a belt, that's a fair bit better than Carbatec or Timbecon! Cheers, David.

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:05 am

I use Norton Adlox 80, 120, 180, 240, 400 and then wet and dry 400, 600, 1200, preferably Norton as well. The Korean aluminium oxide paper from Bunnies is shite. Absolutely useless. Best place to get the Norton stuff is good paint shops and always ask if they will do a deal on a packet of 25 or 50

cheers

g
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:15 am

+1 for Nortons Adalox ...I get it from a small automotive trade paint supply place in Port Macquarie...They only carry quality stuff....and I like to deal with someone with years of experience and who knows you and greets you by your first name....thats a rare experience these days....

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:42 am

3m Gold is good stuff. The abrasive last ages bonding well to the mylar backing which is super thin but very tough and it does not seem to clog so easy unless your working it too hard on oily wood and building heat.

Cheers

Kim

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:04 am

Kim , is that the stuff that Stewy Mac sells in rolls with a sticky backing?

John

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:39 am

woodrat wrote:Kim , is that the stuff that Stewy Mac sells in rolls with a sticky backing?

John
Same price as gold..hence the name.
Martin

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:39 pm

woodrat wrote:Kim , is that the stuff that Stewy Mac sells in rolls with a sticky backing? John
Its very similar stuff John..both made by 3m and the abrasive is very much the same but the stewmac rolls have a kind of plastic 'paper' backing where as the disk I mentioned have a much stronger but super thin plastic 'foil' backing, like the mylar of a goon bag but not as shiny. Google: "3M 255L Stikit"

kiwigeo wrote:Same price as gold..hence the name.
Just like everything else Marty with abrasives you only get what you pay for...cheap is cheap and you pay in the end.

Cheers

Kim

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

I don't Know if you are in Melbourne Ro , if you are,I get a lot of things like sandpaper delivered by a guy who supplies a lot of Melbourne Metropolitan areas Woodwork/ Antique restoration workshops and Engineering workshops from his van. Its a one man business with nothing to do with me except that I buy from him .He will courier if it's to far for him to drive. I don't know about outside Melbourne though. Ring him and see.
I was just ordering Hydrogen Peroxide off him this morning . He does all types of sand paper and has and every thing else that I use, every thing except the wood.
Every time I compare with him he always is cheaper. I did it this morning , I rang two suppliers about the peroxide one was $9 per liter the next worked out to $14 per liter. I ring Len $7 per liter . I'd bet it will be the same with the sand paper .
He works from a warehouse in Oakleigh.
Sorry, Sounds like I'm doing an add for the guy .
Len Moss Agencies 0411 134246.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:01 pm

auscab wrote: He does all types of sand paper and has and every thing else that I use, every thing except the wood.
Every time I compare with him he always is cheaper. I did it this morning , I rang two suppliers about the peroxide one was $9 per liter the next worked out to $14 per liter. I ring Len $7 per liter . I'd bet it will be the same with the sand paper .
Nothing wrong with letting people know of related businesses you've had a good experience with Rob. Doing so helps other forum members and that is precisely what we're here to do...This forum's policy draws the line only at business operatives or those with affiliation to such enterprises whom gain reward or favour from their relationship, helping themselves to exposure to our members because we are certainly not here for that...and besides...if anyone is going to come to our forum and expose themselves to our members we like to make sure they meet an acceptable standard....of course there are exceptions, I hear Kylie makes a cracking guitar and if she were to drop in an show off shots of any brazilian she has a price on I would not complain in the least.. (by the way, that's an open invitation should you be lurking and learning there Kylie. 8) )

Cheers

Kim

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Kim wrote: Image

Cheers

Kim
Mmmmmmm Kylie, Got a great shape as a model for a guitar when you look closely at it ( :roll: ), wide lower bout,narrow waist and healthy upper bouts with non-slopped shoulders. Won't go near the obvious about a wound G string though :oops:

And now we take you back to your normal programming
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:53 pm

Kim wrote:
auscab wrote: He does all types of sand paper and has and every thing else that I use, every thing except the wood.
Nothing wrong with letting people know of related businesses you've had a good experience with Rob. Doing so helps other forum members and that is precisely what we're here to do...This forum's policy draws the line only at business operatives or those with affiliation to such enterprises whom gain reward or favour from their relationship, helping themselves to exposure to our members because we are certainly not here for that...and besides...if anyone is going to come to our forum and expose themselves to our members we like to make sure they meet an acceptable standard....of course there are exceptions, I hear Kylie makes a cracking guitar and if she were to drop in an show off shots of any brazilian she has a price on I would not complain in the least.. (by the way, that's an open invitation should you be lurking and learning there Kylie. 8) )

Cheers

Kim

Wow :shock: , Gee this is a good thread. Thanks Kim . :lol:
We could ask her as a group to use her shape as a template Nick, How would we choose who gets to hold the pencil though ??

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:56 pm

Do ya think THREE pictures of Kylie is enough??? :?
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:15 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Do ya think THREE pictures of Kylie is enough??? :?
:shock: :shock:

NEVER!

:twisted:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:18 pm

I go away for a couple of hours and Kylie turns up 4 TIMES! :shock:

John

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:58 pm

I like the picture of Kylie but I also like the 3M gold stuff for hand sanding. I use the SM stikit stuff. I have various blocks with leather faces and just stick it on those. I have found using small blocks, about 30mm by 60mm the best size for finish sanding the wood and for cutting back the finish for final spaying. Last for ages and is very sharp and the rolls are not that expensive. I think in terms of economy, sheets per guitar it is cheap.
For necks I use the blue cloth backed stuff from Bunnings. Torn into strips for shoe shining it seems to last quite a while and is flexible so conforms to the shapes of the heel nicely. Mostly 60 grit and some 100 and 180 to finish.

I use a festool ros for most rough sanding and I use their disks which are expensive but also last ages and give a very good finish.
Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:11 pm

Nick wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:Do ya think THREE pictures of Kylie is enough??? :?
:shock: :shock:

NEVER!

:twisted:
So here we have Kylie in very expensive lingerie.....and flip flops. She'd almost pass as a Kiwi.
Martin

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:09 pm

Go Kylie :) She sure looks smoother than finest of any sandpaper i ever saw :cl

Steve

P.S. Must get the Fibonacci gauge to her see how many of her curves comply to the "Golden Ratio"

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:21 pm

"Kylie" got banned and her comment eliminated! :lol: :lol: :lol:
No $$$ for ripoffdotcom.biz :mrgreen:
:dri
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.