Acoustic/Electric questions

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

nnickusa
Blackwood

Acoustic/Electric questions

Post by nnickusa » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:46 am

I've started, as I wait for the Mirotone to cure, on another OM, this one with a cutaway. It's intended as a model for a friend of mine, who is a small woman, and gets lost behind a dread. As she performs regularly, and amplified, I wonder how to cut down on the usual feedback issues associated with live use of acoustic/electrics...

Is there anything that can be done in the building phase, ie: thicker, stiffer plates, to help combat feedback, or is it all a function of the electronics?

This will be a thinline OM, using Rimu from Christian and bearclaw Sitka from Brent Cole. I have several options on hand for the electronics, A Fishman Matrix, an LR Baggs I-Mix and a DiMarzio Supernatural Plus(no preamp, but I can dial it in on my acoustic amp). I haven't the resources at the moment to buy a K&K(which has been rcommended to me, so I'll go with one of these three.

I'm really more interested in what can be done, if anything, in the build phase to ameliorate the issues commonly found in A/E's....

Thanks in advance for any advice......Jeez, I love this place......Lot's of help and advice from you lot :cl
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

Clancy
Blackwood

Re: Acoustic/Electric questions

Post by Clancy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:47 am

....ameliorate ....
Sorry Nick, that's too big a word for this forum.
I think a one week banishment is in order.

As far as your question, it's the eternal search for the perfect modern guitar - acoustic responsiveness & zero feedback when amplified.
If you find the perfect solution then let us all know.....after your banishment is over of course :wink:
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:08 am

Right! See you all in a week :lol:

Cheers,
Nick

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:14 pm

Acoustics and acoustic/electrics are very different beasts, though most of the large makers would like you to believe otherwise (or haven't figured it out themselves). Check out a Maton 808, which is really a solid-body in disguise!

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Yeah Trevor,

Seems that an A/E relies more on it's electronics than on it's acoustics....

It's been my experience too. I am sort of planning to keep the top and back a bit thicker on this. It's only about 890 at it's deepest.

Kathryn plays plugged in, so i thought that may help with feedback, but I do want it to be heard if played unplugged as well....

Will let you know....

Cheers,
Nick

MBP
Blackwood

Post by MBP » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:03 pm

A guy I know (who is a pro player) played matons and thought they sounded good plugged in however he found it uninspiring playing at home with no amp trying to write songs etc. A lot of matons sound as if someone has their hand pressed on the soundboard between bridge and tail block when played acoustically.

He now plays a custom guitar with an active LR Baggs sound hole pickup and a para DI. He now plays more at home, writes more songs, enjoys it more and sounds fantastic plugged in. Even when he is really strumming you can here the note separation like he is softly finger picking.

You can remove the sound hole pickup in a matter of minutes and they do not affect the acoustic sound of the guitar like a lot of other systems do. The Para DI is really good I have had one apart and they are good on the inside as well.

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:50 pm

OK, I'm gonna build a real acoustic, and try both systems, and let the chips fall where they may.....

Personally, I've always thought that a mic'd acoustic sounds best of all as you are getting the acual guitar, and not all the electronics....awkward, tho......

Cheers,
Nick