Smallman style armrests

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Smallman style armrests

Post by jeffhigh » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:55 pm

Anyone use them?
I an putting the finishing touches on some small bodied falcate braced guitars and it seems a pity to damp the soundboard with my forearm.

Craig
Admin

Re: Smallman style armrests

Post by Craig » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:44 pm

G'day Jeff, I've made a number of attempts at these type of armrests. I think the John Pearse model ( available from L.M. I .) was the first I'd noticed ( Many years ago )and thought they would have to be a good idea .A bit like a chin rest on a violin !. Why go to all the trouble of getting the soundboard and bracing to your liking ,only to have your forearm damp the thing . (although correct posture probably eliminates this a lot )
The Ryan type seem to use up valuable soundboard area, so I went for the pearce type ( looks to be what Smallman modeled off ) . Trouble is I find the armrest is rather annoying . It tends to dig in to your forearm and after a while I find the thing quite uncomfortable .
I made another model making it's surface wider so as to make it more comfortable , but it still annoyed . I then made another , with yet a wider surface and only a millimeter or so above the soundboard , but still couldn't get used to the thing. Each one was only attached to the guitar by the width of the liners and overhung the top so as not to interfere with the soundboard function.

I still think them to be a good idea,If only they weren't so bloody annoying . I'll be interested to see what others have found .
Craig Lawrence

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Of course the question is: does your forearm actually change/dampen the sound?
and if it does, is this a bad thing?

:?

graham
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:57 am

Graham McDonald wrote:Of course the question is: does your forearm actually change/dampen the sound?
and if it does, is this a bad thing?

:?

graham
+1

In the case of classicals most players Ive seen tilt the top of the guitar out for a comfortable playing position which tends to keep the forearm off the sound board.
Martin

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi Jeff.

I made a classical with one many many years ago... only one though.

So thinking out loud - it is true that the traditional formal method of holding and playing the classical instrument should alleviate any such problem without the need for an armrest. Steel string players tend to be a bit more relaxed in their various methods! :) So why do we see them frequently on classical instruments? Is it the rather sensitive nature of a classical sound board that originated the idea? Perhaps in Mr Smallmans case, the dampening effect is more prominent in such a thin lattice brace top? I'm not sure having not made a lattice top classical before.

I would think the arm if placed on the soundboard will certainly have a dampening effect. To what extent possibly depends on; how much of the arm; where it is placed; the sensitivity of the soundboard etc. Does this effect matter? Well, I guess that is a personal judgement on the individual situation. It is rarely missed by many steel strings players.

I've seen a few styles, not including the built in arm bevel. As for the methods of attachment, from what I have seen previously, this is usually by double side adhesive; epoxy resin; or I did see one inserted by two dowels - assumably into corresponding blocks mounted inside on the guitar sides. The latter is obviously removable but at the cost of two small holes. I think Mr Smallman epoxies his in place, while the Pearse model I believe suggests double side adhesive.

Like Craig, I made mine wider (though shorter) than many seen, for comfort. It sits about 2mm proud of the surface of the guitar front and touches only on the linings. I did mine a little differently though in that most I have seen sit only on the top - flush with the sides as such. I carved mine from thicker material so it sits both against the top and against the side - in both cases only as far as the linings. I just felt this would be more stable and gave me a little more to work with to shape for a comfortable transition.
arm_bevel_1.jpg
arm_bevel_1.jpg (21.46 KiB) Viewed 9910 times
arm_bevel_2.jpg
arm_bevel_2.jpg (49.65 KiB) Viewed 9910 times
arm_bevel_3.jpg
arm_bevel_3.jpg (48.75 KiB) Viewed 9910 times
arm_bevel_4.jpg
arm_bevel_4.jpg (78.96 KiB) Viewed 9910 times
Jeremy.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:47 pm

Why not add a couple of foot rests and an ash tray as well? :?
Martin

Nick Payne
Myrtle

Post by Nick Payne » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:52 pm

You could try the Kris Barnett method of attachment, using rare earth magnets. Makes the armrest easily detachable if wanted:

Steve_E
Gidgee

Post by Steve_E » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:15 am

Forgive me if this is posting a dumb question, but how on earth do you carve one?

I've got one that I purchased that is held in place by suction cups on the side. Love it for comfort (the edges really irritate my forearms) and can just pop it on and off. It's a Plenosom.

Steve