Hi tech fret installation.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

rocket
Blackwood

Re: Hi tech fret installation.

Post by rocket » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:27 am

I glue the board on a straight neck, complete the radius with a radiused sanding beam ,bevel the slot a bit with slim taper file and use a tiny drop of ca on each end of the slot where the fret crosses over the binding and press'm in.
Cheers,,
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:05 am

Just watched this for the first time! Is this guy serious? :shock: How many times does he pound on it with the wrong bit of equipment!??? "It's metal...you can't damage it" Wanna bet pal!
As an engineer with a bit of pride it makes my blood boil watching somebody using something that's not in the least bit designed for the purpose, any body in my workshop gets a serious case of verbally induced cauliflower ear and handed a white apron (because that's what butchers wear) if I catch them doing that! :evil:
As for the fretting on/off debate, there's more than one way to cook meat so whatever works for you I say ( I prefer meduim rare grilled others prefer theirs well done & roasted :wink: ).Personally I've fretted lots of necks with the board on & hammering to seat but now I fret off, fret barber on the tangs (a good way of controlling that 'backbow' & keeping it to a minimum) & fret press them in, glue the board to the neck blank & I'm very rarely taking anything more than the witness pen marks off the crowns, I much prefer this way of doing it compared to the old method ( But that's just me and Perry obviously does his differently :wink: ).But it's probably best to learn both methods & choose for yourself, then if you prefer fretting off then if ever have to refret with the board on (in the case of a repair) then you have the fretting on method in your arsenal.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:37 am

I'm pretty sure this whole series is a joke. I don't really get the point though.

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:46 am

jeffhigh wrote:I'm pretty sure this whole series is a joke. I don't really get the point though.
I think the point is not that the viewers find it funny but that this guy himself has a good laugh when reading the serious comments on his stupid videos.
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:35 pm

charangohabsburg wrote:
jeffhigh wrote:I'm pretty sure this whole series is a joke. I don't really get the point though.
I think the point is not that the viewers find it funny but that this guy himself has a good laugh when reading the serious comments on his stupid videos.
He was contracted by 'expertvillage' to do these videos, and a whole bunch more on other unrelated subject. Some are great, and show he really knows what he's talking about. The guitars ones, no...

Expertvillage is a business based on providing tutorials by 'experts' and they generate income via the youtube advertising streams. Get enough hits, and it can be a viable income. With 14,000 videos so far, they would be doing quite well.

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:00 pm

Press them in, a little titebond acts as a lube, and glues them in. If the fretboard is prepared right you don't need to recrown them, just a polish.

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:05 pm

Ormsby Guitars wrote: Get enough hits, and it can be a viable income.
And it doesn't matter why the videos get clicked. Someone says in a forum "hey look this rubbish!" - and the vid gets another 100-200 clicks, and the "expert" has yet another laugh. :lol:
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Tom West
Myrtle

Post by Tom West » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:15 am

Took me a while but I think I have it figured out. He is not a real repair person. But was hired by a real repair person who does not have much work. These are aired so that DIYers have a crack at this type of work and will mess it up. They then have to take their mess to a valid repairman to have it pulled out of the mud. Clever folks those advertizing people.
Tom
The person who has never made a mistake has never made anything....!

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:05 am

I think your on to it Tom :lol:

Cheers

Kim

Tom West
Myrtle

Post by Tom West » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:08 pm

My last post was not a shot at DIYers because we are all basically DIYers. None of us came into this world knowing any of this stuff. We had to learn from someone who had a bit of knowledge or plod on by ourselves till we figured it out. So rather then discourage any one from trying I encourage folks to dig in and give it a try. Just pick your instructors carefully. Just wanted to get that out there in case anyone thought I may be kicking them around a bit. Happy fretting to all.
Tom
The person who has never made a mistake has never made anything....!