Adhesive advice

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Adhesive advice

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:15 pm

Okay Im sticking two 450mm x 1000mm pieces of 16mm MDF together to make a router table. Which adhesive should I be using? Is Titebond ok or should I be using at contact adhesive?
Martin

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Re: Adhesive advice

Post by needsmorecowbel » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:18 pm

The cabinet maker at my old work used Bostik MDF Glue...someone chime in if that is a bad choice

Stu

Lee
Kauri

Post by Lee » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:34 pm

PVA+: such as Selleys Aquadhere Exterior? Has worked with MDF and flooring for worktops here.
Possibly not much different to Titebond?
No idea on price differential.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Yeah i don't know what it is about the MDF but there is a specific glue marketed by Bostic and also Selleys, if i'm banging on a few arks i don't usually worry too much and just use whatever is around at the time but if i was making some sort of pattern or jig that might be remotely connected to guitar building i think i'd be getting a bit specific Martin :? :? :?
I think you'd be pretty safe if you went the contact option though.
Cheers,,
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:57 pm

I laminate all my MDF body mold blanks together with bog standard PVA, Titebond's too expensive in Un Zud (compared to PVA) to glue compressed sawdust together to my mind. It all seems to hold together.
Must admit I'd never considered Contact adhesive. I've never had a great deal of sucess with it on anything other than quite porous surfaces, but I could've been holding me tongue all wrong :oops: .
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Since you don't want the panels warping, i would tend to use a non water based glue such as polyurethane.

Lee
Kauri

Post by Lee » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:43 pm

How does a slab of 5/8" thick glued-up sawdust or woodchip random weave stuff with no grain warp? Not of it's own accord methinks. :?

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:06 pm

Martin I always try and stay away from contact ad, its just those bloody toxic fumes from the stuff. You definitely need a chemical respirator and if you use any PVA glues the water component shouldn't bother the thickness with warpage.

Steve

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Too late.....Ive just glued up the b****rd with Titebond. Used half a bottle of glue and clamped it up with bars across top to even clamping pressure and counter any warping. Ended up using 20 clamps in the end.

A valid point re water based glues Jeff. Lets see how its looking tomorrow when the glue has set.
Martin

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:13 pm

Depends.

Are you planning on routing out rebates and such for your router to sit in? Or if you're routing for one of those lift thingys that the router gets mounted in, you want a glue that machines well without melting onto your router bit. That would pretty much rule out PVAs and contact adhesive, and Titebond would be the go. In my opinion.

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:25 pm

I just read you have glued it up.
As long as it sits flat and pressure from the weight of clamps does not cause it to warp it should be fine. I have seen some expensive stuff ups caused by the weight of the clamps putting a bow in two straight bits of timber that were meant to be straight when glued.

I would use the Titebond first contact would be my second choice for sticking two bits the same thickness together . I rarely have to cut and glue the stuff , but I think most of the trade uses AV180 which may be the same as Titebond. Not sure with that one but they are both Yellow ??

Is this your first inverted router ? You will wonder how you did without it if it is. I built a simple one years back that does the majority of my work . More accuracy and many less stuff ups has been my pleasure ever since.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:27 pm

Titebond and its ilk are an issue with MDF if you are using it on a cut edge. The edges will absorb a lot of the glue leaving a starved joint. If you paint the edges with glue first and let them dry first it won't be an issue. Once they are dry you can glue your joint up.

Lee
Kauri

Post by Lee » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:36 pm

Beg pardon Martin I took it you were sticking two 450mm x 1000mm pieces of 16mm MDF together to make a 32mm thick top and the glue would have been on 'face' sides.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:58 pm

Lee wrote:Beg pardon Martin I took it you were sticking two 450mm x 1000mm pieces of 16mm MDF together to make a 32mm thick top and the glue would have been on 'face' sides.
That is correct.......minimum thickness for a decent router table is around 30mm. Ill also be fitting battens under the table to make double sure it never moves.

I have a Unilift router lifter that will be fitted into a recessed hole in the table and a big meaty Hitachi MV12 router will be the machine turning the cutter.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:59 pm

I appreciate all the speedy replies to my original query folks...thanks very much people.
Martin

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:28 pm

And here one late reply :mrgreen:

On my Jointapprentice Hobby A1 I used Epoxy for all glued MDF joints because I aimed for maximum precision. Can't say if using a water based glue really would have affected precision after everything had dried, but I guess so. I could try to build another one using Titebond, just to see what happens. :lol:
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:05 am

Maybe I should have used Titebond, polyurethane AND epoxy.
Martin

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:25 am

Of course!
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:42 am

How About Posting Your Table Build Martin :D , I'm Thinking about making One Myself and would'nt mind seeing how you go about yours.
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:17 am

Tod Gilding wrote:How About Posting Your Table Build Martin :D , I'm Thinking about making One Myself and would'nt mind seeing how you go about yours.
Wont post up any pics until I get the thing working.
Martin

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:24 am

Fair Enough !!!! :D
I know with all that spare time sitting on the rig thinking, you will come up with a nice twist that will make everyone look like this :shock:
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:47 am

kiwigeo wrote:Maybe I should have used Titebond, polyurethane AND epoxy.
You've forgotten the 6 inch nails & 2 inch wood screws spaced every 10mm!
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

christian
Blackwood

Post by christian » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:08 am

edge gluing MDF is not that easy, also depends on the grade of MDF but in most cases as has been mentioned the glue gets soaked up bigtime.
I used to use aliphatic and biscuits, works well enough.

Christian.
Why does the eye see a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination when awake?
Leonardo da Vinci

www.christiandruery.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:09 am

Tod Gilding wrote:Fair Enough !!!! :D
I know with all that spare time sitting on the rig thinking, you will come up with a nice twist that will make everyone look like this :shock:
Not sitting on a rig and wont be for some time. Ive quit the oil patch....perhaps for good.
Martin

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:38 am

Tod Gilding wrote:How About Posting Your Table Build Martin :D , I'm Thinking about making One Myself and would'nt mind seeing how you go about yours.
Would you like to see a Dovetailed treated pine ex packing crate version, with cutter drawer locking wheels .