Finally Finished

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

lacrombie
Sassafras

Finally Finished

Post by lacrombie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:48 pm

Finally finished my first build - I dropped the ball a couple of times and left it for a couple of months and there are a few flaws but I am happy with the result.
Attachments
Head front 1a.jpg
Head front 1a.jpg (117.06 KiB) Viewed 6517 times
Head 1a.jpg
Head 1a.jpg (121.25 KiB) Viewed 6517 times
Baby 2a.jpg
Baby 2a.jpg (93.84 KiB) Viewed 6517 times
Baby 1a.jpg
Baby 1a.jpg (99.46 KiB) Viewed 6517 times
Leigh

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Jeremy D
Admin

Re: Finally Finished

Post by Jeremy D » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:03 pm

That's real nice. Hope my first ends up as nice. I like the shape. Is it modeled on the larrivee L shape?
Jeremy D

lacrombie
Sassafras

Post by lacrombie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:09 pm

BBk wrote:That's real nice. Hope my first ends up as nice. I like the shape. Is it modeled on the larrivee L shape?
No, not intentionally - I made 13 body shape profiles before I settled on this one. I was hoping it was an original.
Leigh

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

christian
Blackwood

Post by christian » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:51 pm

you have alot to be proud of Leigh!!! for a first build its fantastic.
congrats, no doubt you will now be hooked on this luthiery gig.
Cheers,

Christian
Why does the eye see a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination when awake?
Leonardo da Vinci

www.christiandruery.com

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Man, that does not look like a first-time build. Are you holding out on us?
Very nicely executed. Quite Olsonesque (especially around the bridge and the overall shape). Nice woods and a very nice finish.
Congrats Leigh
Mark

MBP
Blackwood

Post by MBP » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:27 pm

I would say that it is finely finished as well.

I reckon it is a great shape and looks the goods as well. From the pictures I think anyone would be proud of that guitar, being a first build makes it something else. :cl :cl :cl

lacrombie
Sassafras

Post by lacrombie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:20 pm

Mark McLean wrote:Man, that does not look like a first-time build. Are you holding out on us?
Very nicely executed. Quite Olsonesque (especially around the bridge and the overall shape). Nice woods and a very nice finish.
Congrats Leigh
Mark
Thank's Mark,

I'm not holding out - I had no woodworking experience until I started this guitar. I'm a perfectionist which does help but can also have it's drawbacks. I have been a guitarist for 35 years and own 15 guitar, including a few handmade guitars - I know what I want an instrument to sound like and understand the importance of playability. The finish was difficult - I used a lot of lacquer and it was a steep learning curve as I had never spayed before.

It is designed to be a finger style guitar hence the lack of a pick guard. I should record a demo so you can hear the timbre and balance of the individual voices.
Leigh