This one will be a dog

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave White
Blackwood

This one will be a dog

Post by Dave White » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:37 am

Inspired by the Greenfield brothers in Canada in the 1920-1930's:

and modern builders such as Paddy Burgin, and nagged by my daughter Martha to make her one as soon as she saw the clips on Youtube of Paddy Burgin playing the instrument he made, I've embarked on making a double necked acoustic lap-slide guitar. As usual I want to do this my own way and in my own style. After playing around with different concepts, I've decided to make it a similar size to a normal lapslide but to go with a ladder braced top, one soundhole and a deeper body - just over 4". The name of this instrument is "Orthus" - in Greek he was the two headed, serpent tailed dog of Geryon, the three headed giant king of Erytheia. Orphus was also the father of the Sphynx. I got a couple of very nice Khaya harp guitar sets that will be the top, back and sides. The binding will be curly eucalyptus (from Uncle Bob) and the fingerboards some nice African walnut. Here's a few pics of where it is currently at - I've put a page on my website here documenting the build:

The rim-set - there is a "neck-block" in between the two hollow necks and this has slots cut to take a pair of carbon fibre "flying buttress braces that will be anchored to the sides just below the waist. The sides weren't quite long enough so it is a three piece. The end grafts are bwb/curly eucalyptus/ Old Rio Rosewood, and the peghead veneers Old Rio Rosewood:

Starting to thickness the top and backs:

Thanks for looking.
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:50 am

No dog there - it looks great Dave mon!!!!

So you are not going to do the butt crack end wedge that the original had?

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:16 am

Hesh,

No - that's Howard Klepper territory :D Also the thought of having to floss out the dirt as part of general maintenance doesn't really appeal - "stick it where the sunburst don't shine" would take on a whole (or is that hole) new meaning :shock:
Dave White

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:37 am

Really interesting and inspiring stuff Dave. I see that both will be 6 strings, so I assume that one will use a different tuning?
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:57 am

Allen,

Yes - Open G and Open D seem the obvious choice or minor key variants but I suspect there will be a lot of interesting combinations to be found. DADDAD (a la John Butler) with DADF#AD or DADGAD. It's got some similarities to harp guitar territory with sympathetic strings ringing, but with different open tunings it would be a great instrument to have in Irish Sessions where tunes go from D to G in mid-set.

Future instruments could be waiting - one neck a longer scale baritone, or harp guitar type with longer tuned down sub bass strings. That's the fun about instrument making - the possibilities are only limited by your imagination, building skills and time. I love it :lol:
Dave White

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

That'll be one stunning double neck when finish Dave.

Do you reckon Jimmy Page'll be interested. :lol: :lol:

Bob

Sam Price
Blackwood

Post by Sam Price » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:39 am

Future instruments could be waiting - one neck a longer scale baritone, or harp guitar type with longer tuned down sub bass strings. That's the fun about instrument making - the possibilities are only limited by your imagination, building skills and time. I love it
Agreed- the only person restricting the process is the person building them- and it involves traveling WAAYYY outside the comfort zone...don't ask me how I know this!

Amazing work already Dave- love keeping up with what you're building at the moment.

Something I forgot to ask you sometime back Dave- that brown tape you fix your bindings with- can you buy that stuff in the UK?

I can't seem to locate it anywhere, unless I am looking in all the wrong places.... :?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:52 am

Nice looking twin neck Weissy there Dave.

Look forwad to pics of the finished instrument.

Cheers Martin

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:17 am

Bob - it's probably one neck short for Jimmy 8)

Sam - I think I've tried about all of the tapes available in the UK and none of them really work well. I get either the Stew-mac one or the LMI one depending where I'm getting stuff from at the time. They seem to be the same stuff. I couldn't be without this stuff and use on average one roll per guitar - tent-joining tops and backs, binding etc, etc.

Martin - thanks.
Dave White

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:15 pm

I love to watch a craftsman like yourself create an instrument. I will be watching your build with much interest.

Thanks for sharing

Cheers

Alan

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:04 pm

Wow, Dave, that's really, really cool. If I had one of those, I'd tune in open G and open E. Open G cause that's how my banjo is tuned and open E because I can play "Steel Guitar Rag" already in that key.

I love it!!

Ron

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:59 pm

Alan,

Thanks - you are doing pretty well yourself and I'm enjoying watching your Weiss come along.

Ron,

Thanks. Why don't you make youself a dread with a banjo neck - then you could play "Duelling banjos" all by yourself :D
Dave White

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:40 pm

Great stuff as always Dave,

You have been one of my favorite builders over the last 3 to 4 years ever since I first started trawling these forums for info. Your work as a builder and skill as a player is a inspiration to many of us, always interesting and always beautifully executed in both departments.

Expect Dennis to get a little excited when he sets his eyes on the rear end of the original. It looks a lot like his first in that area, don't know if he needs to floss his wonderful Angeline though, anyway if he did he could always use an old G string :idea: 8)

Cheers :D

Kim
Last edited by Kim on Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:39 pm

This is already going to be a great instrument! I can tell! Great design!

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:13 pm

Kim,

Thanks - I'm blushing but that could be the "horny" picture :shock:

I was thinking of Howard's "Naykd Laydie" which was a "sublimimal butt hint" rather than Dennis's "Angeline" full on crack:

ImageImage

Billy,

Thanks - I hope you are right. It's a bit of a leap in the dark, but hey 8)
Dave White

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:23 am

Dave White wrote:Alan,

Thanks - you are doing pretty well yourself and I'm enjoying watching your Weiss come along.

Ron,

Thanks. Why don't you make youself a dread with a banjo neck - then you could play "Duelling banjos" all by yourself :D

Yeah, I will think on that!! Actually, I already play dueling banjos by myself, as I can't get anyone to play it with me. :oops:

Ron

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:51 am

Hi Dave,

Wow, there is still so much potential left in stringed instruments, keep pushing that edge mate. I will be watching with great interest. I always learn from your posts. thx

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:45 am

Hi Dave,

Here in the USA, we don't speak English, but a bastard variant of English called "American", just to piss off you Brits. So, since we don't really speak the same language, I'm wondering if I am translating you correctly.

When we say something "is a dog" that means it is shitty, crappy, not good. I'm having a very difficult time believing that is what you mean, so please expound.

We use lots of animal expressions: loony (nuts), jackass (idiot), dead fish (boring), wolf (predator or stalker), sheep (follower), shark (ruthless), snake (sneaky), chicken (afraid) and in phrases like "bat out of hell", "eagle eye", "free as a bird", and "dumb as an ox".

We even occasionally make up colloquialisms, such as "skinny as a snake fart."

We say something "is a bear" if it is difficult. I'm guessing that building this double necked acoustic lap-slide guitar will be a bear, but I'll bet a few farthings that it will NOT be a dog!

And yes, Kim, as soon as I saw that butt on the Greenfield brothers guitar, I realized once again that I am re-inventing everything I think I am inventing. I'm probably synthesizing at best! Now I know what happened to my old G-string! :oops: :lol:

Go Dave!

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Tom Morici
Blackwood

Post by Tom Morici » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:39 pm

Dave,

Like Dennis, I am confused by your "Dog" statement. Of course you could
look at it as, a dog is man's best friend.

I do like what I see so far, I am a big fan of your unique builds.

On the subject of "rear end" theme guitars!

Here is one, a friend of mine built.

Tom

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:13 pm

Tom Morici wrote:
On the subject of "rear end" theme guitars!

Here is one, a friend of mine built.
Wow Tom! That's got me wondering what the action is like on the other side :lol: :D

Cheers

Kim

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:31 pm

Ron - time for you to post a sound clip of that I think 8)

Sebastian - Thanks.

Dennis,

Thanks. Over here in Europe we have a healthy appreciation and use of irony - unfortunately it seemed not to be a favourite of those that colonised the Americas and so appears to have got lost over there :shock: If you read what the instrument is called and why - that's why named the thread title as I did. 8) Take your time though - the process of holding two different but simultaneous meanings in your head can freak you a little sometimes :D

Then again, I could be just hedging my bets in case its bark is worse than its bite.

Tom,

Thanks. I bet that guitar has a strong bottom end :shock:
Dave White

Sam Price
Blackwood

Post by Sam Price » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:34 am

Dave, will you be exhibiting at the Cheltenham guitar festival again this year? (if there is one...?)

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:45 am

Dave White wrote:Over here in Europe we have a healthy appreciation and use of irony - unfortunately it seemed not to be a favourite of those that colonised the Americas and so appears to have got lost over there :shock:
Yes, but when the second British Invasion (the Beatles) hit our shores, irony was rekindled. :D (..."life goes on within you and without you...") It was with a tip of my bowler and tongue firmly in cheek that I predicted that your own Orthus, the two headed dog, will be a songbird in dog's clothing, not a bird dog baying at the moon. And, I hope not too much of a bear to assemble. :wink:

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:05 am

Sam Price wrote:Dave, will you be exhibiting at the Cheltenham guitar festival again this year? (if there is one...?)
Sam,

Yes I will. September 13-14. Keep an eye on their website.
Dave White

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:54 am

Very Interesting project there Dave ! I sure can't wait to hear a clip of this one. :D
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida