Reverse Kerfing.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Phil
Wandoo

Reverse Kerfing.

Post by Phil » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:52 pm

For fourty years I have kerfed the traditional way, with the gaps pointing towards the soundhole.
If it's good enough for the oldies, then it's good enough for me, or so I thought......

Last week I made some kerfing (which is the most boring job) while imbibing del vino rosso. By accident I did it backwards, with the gaps pointing away from the soundhole. Mea Maxima Culpa.

Rather than waste the stuff, I decided to give it a try.

Doggone, & Stap Me Vittels, if this blessed kerfing did not work better than my old stuff.

All the excess glue was absorbed into the gaps instead of running down the sides, which usually requires a bit of a clean up.

But also this.... The sides were locked into shape with zero spring back.

Phil

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Reverse Kerfing.

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:28 pm

Bit of a convert myself Phil, bought some for my last two builds as I noticed more builders were using it. Not only does it hide most of the squeeze out as you mention but to me, it also gives inside the box a 'cleaner' look. I know it's not an essential element of a build but being a bit anal, I like the inside to look as good as the outside.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:15 pm

Nick wrote:Bit of a convert myself Phil, bought some for my last two builds as I noticed more builders were using it. Not only does it hide most of the squeeze out as you mention but to me, it also gives inside the box a 'cleaner' look. I know it's not an essential element of a build but being a bit anal, I like the inside to look as good as the outside.
Every thing neat and tidy is my way as well. It's a hold over from my furniture days , drawer bottoms, cabinet backs etc. clean and arrised. Not the same finish as the show parts but not made by animals.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:33 pm

I am a reverse kerfer too....I make it myself and yes its pretty boring but necessary.....:)

Sometimes its good to make a blooper and see the world from a different (in this case reverse) angle....

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:47 pm

Me too. I make my own. Looks neater and works better.

simonm
Blackwood

Post by simonm » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:21 am

Phil wrote: All the excess glue was absorbed into the gaps instead of running down the sides, which usually requires a bit of a clean up.
Hmmm ... never thought of this. But that's enough to convert me all by itself.

:D

Thanks.

Simon

Tom West
Myrtle

Post by Tom West » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:13 am

Have used reversed for my last 7 or 8 and just love it. One of the big points for me is inletting the back braces,no blowouts and it looks so neat and tidy. I also find it easier to make and install compared to triangular linings. No way am I going back.
Tom
The person who has never made a mistake has never made anything....!