The 2012 Cairns Ukulele Building Course

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Denza
Gidgee

Re: The 2012 Cairns Ukulele Building Course

Post by Denza » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:48 am

I have had the best time doing this course!! I came away with a beautiful quality hand crafted instrument and a head exploding with so much knowledge from Allen and Micheal. I Couldn't have imagined it was going to be such a good time with new suprises everyday. Big thanks to Karen, Fae, Anne, Helda and Brian for the amasing food and new jeans i had to buy!!! And a huge thank you to allen and micheal for inviting us into your lives and showing us your trade!!!!! LEGEND :cl :dri :dru :gui :lol: :) :D

Localele

Post by Localele » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:39 am

Hi Guys , Just got logged on from Allen's computer to say it was a fantastic course again.We do work them hard from the first day to set the scene as we have milestones (kilometre stones) to reach each day.This class just cruised through and followed instruction very well. It is a daunting task for people with little to no woodwork experience but by only having the pieces you need in front of them at each step they can concentrate and it goes smoothly.It would be a toss-up as to who gets the biggest kick out of these courses, Allen and I or the students.
Weight gain is a constant threat but probably an important step to have the 3 breaks each day to allow people to relax a bit and enjoy the build.I am sure the Ladies of the Catering Corp. take it as a personal challenge each year.It's like having your mum feeding you on holidays.
This is most of the menu but we may have forgotten something.
Monday Morning Tea: Sausage Rolls, Pikelets with plum jam, assorted sweet slices, cakes and biscuits.
Monday Lunch: Chicken curry and rice, Vegetable curry and rice, Shepherds Pie ; Dessert was Fruit Salad with Vanilla Ice Cream.

Tuesday Morning Tea: Sausage Rolls, Scones with jam and cream, assorted sweet slices, cakes and biscuits.
Tuesday Lunch: Beef Lasagne, Vegetarian Lasagne, Potato Bake and Green Salad; Dessert was Pavlova with cream and fruit

Wednesday Morning Tea: Smoked Salmon and Asparagus Frittatta, Pizza Rolls, assorted sweet slices, cakes and biscuits
Wednesday Lunch: Barbecue Fillet Steak, Chicken Skewers, Buns, Beetroot & Feta Salad, Smoked Salmon & Potato Salad, Green Salad; Dessert was Black Forest Cake or Chocolate Raspberry Ice Cream Cake.

Thursday Morning Tea: Assorted sweet slices, cakes and biscuits, Spinach and Feta Parcels
Thursday Lunch: Fish and Spinach Casserole, Chicken and Asparagus Pie; Dessert was Fruit Salad with Ice Cream

Friday: Allen and Karen treated the class and guests to 9 pizzas prepared in their wood-fired pizza oven along with champagne & orange juice, beer, wine and coffee/tea then chocolate dipped biscuits to finish the meal off.
Cheers from Micheal.

Remember the "5P Rule".
Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:55 am

And a better quality picture of the finished product.
Finished Instruments 357.jpg
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

rum sick dave
Gidgee

Post by rum sick dave » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:28 am

Hi there everyone, i have just finished the ukulele building course, it was nothing short of fantastic, great instruction, great people, can't believe how good my uke sounds, would do it again no worry's, Allen and Micheal are very friendly and approachable. and { no trade secrets were held back ) the food was great, and the last day at Allen's was a day to remember. THANKS ALLEN & MICHEAL for a great course. DAVE.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Your very welcome Dave. I hope you take the opportunity to join the Woodworkers Guild and use some of their machinery. Or barring that you can give me a call anytime.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Localele

Post by Localele » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:55 pm

Just remember they don't feed you like that all the time there Dave.
Cheers from Micheal.

Remember the "5P Rule".
Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.