Using 3-phase tools in a home workshop?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Using 3-phase tools in a home workshop?

Post by Mark McLean » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:44 pm

I want a table saw and this one is on offer only 2 suburbs away from me.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... TQ:AU:1123
The seller has another industrial grade table saw available as well. They both use 3-phase power but I only have domestic single-phase power in the shed. I don't know the difference - but I assume I would need to replace the motor, or do some expensive upgrade of my home power supply? If so, it is not worth thinking about. But can someone explain it to me?
Happy Easter
Mark

Nick Payne
Myrtle

Re: Using 3-phase tools in a home workshop?

Post by Nick Payne » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:22 pm

Getting three phase installed if you don't already have it could cost anywhere from a few hundred up to $5000 or more depending your existing switchboard, space in the meter box for the additional meters, new pole lead-in if needed, etc.

This article gives some ideas for using three phase equipment in a single phase workshop: http://www.finewoodworking.com/pages/w00126.asp

However, I would say your best bet is to pass up on this unit and look elsewhere for a single phase saw.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:08 pm

3 phase has torque, thats the beauty of the motors and they are efficient, a single phse motor is inefficent and has almost no torque in comparison. I have retrofitted mills / lathes and tablesaws with single phase motors, they do work but not the same.

Ideally have 3 phase run from your local distribution box to your house, if your lucky it will already have 3 phase at your own meter box.

3 Phase connectors are exensive as well, a coupling and switch box will run close to 500 for the pair, compared too 30 bucks for a 15 amp plu

All of this you have to way up, to work out if its worth it for you.
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:27 pm

Thanks Gents. From what you have told me it is clear that I don't want to be going to that trouble and expense for my fairly modest needs. It is a lot more sawing power than I can justify. Would be nice though.......
Mark

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:45 pm

simso wrote:3 phase has torque, thats the beauty of the motors and they are efficient, a single phse motor is inefficent and has almost no torque in comparison. I have retrofitted mills / lathes and tablesaws with single phase motors, they do work but not the same.

Ideally have 3 phase run from your local distribution box to your house, if your lucky it will already have 3 phase at your own meter box.

3 Phase connectors are exensive as well, a coupling and switch box will run close to 500 for the pair, compared too 30 bucks for a 15 amp plu

All of this you have to way up, to work out if its worth it for you.
What Steve said ....and it is cheaper than domestic power. I don't know what it is these days( my shed and house are combined) but in the 80's 3 phase was heavily subsidised. Two steelies and I shared a large shed with a dividing wall and a common power bill. The shed bill was less for a 1/4 than my wife and I paid living in a flat.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

lacrombie
Sassafras

Post by lacrombie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:26 pm

Three phase is 415V AC. It is a four wire system and is expensive to install - new mains, meters etc. You can run much more powerful motors on 3PH - anything over 3-3.5HP is best run on 3PH, thats why they are more torquey. It comes down to how serious you are about your workshop and if you can claim it on your business.
Leigh

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:21 am

I'm lucky enough to have 3 phase to my workshop - but unlucky enough not to have any machinery to go with it.
Would've liked that 3 phase bandsaw in sydney Rob spied on ebay last month, but no way to collect & move it here. :roll:
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:50 pm

Clancy wrote:I'm lucky enough to have 3 phase to my workshop - but unlucky enough not to have any machinery to go with it.
Would've liked that 3 phase bandsaw in sydney Rob spied on ebay last month, but no way to collect & move it here. :roll:

Don't worry ,the older stuff usually goes for a song. You'll find others closer to home.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill