Project - Electric Guitar

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

rick_
Wandoo

Project - Electric Guitar

Post by rick_ » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:32 am

So here is my project log. I'm still in the early stages yet, I'm still looking for places to get most of my materials from, and still need to finalize the measurements of everything.

The reason I started this thread is that I just got the first parts of my kit today, and I think that acquisition of tools is the very beginning of every project (especially as someone who doesn't even own a screwdriver).

So, today I got an old hand drill, which was made in Sheffield England about 30 years ago, and with it, I also got one of the halloed Stanley #4 planes, also Made in England about 30 years ago. I'm told these are highly sought after, and are of high quality.

Part of me is scared to use power tools on my first build because I know how easily one slip can take a huge chunk of the wood away, whereas hand tools, being slower, and more controlled by the user, I'm hoping for less stuff-ups haha. Also, completely hand made would be a cool bragging right :P

I'll take some photos tomorrow and upload them :P

Also, on a side note, would Bunnings stock new blades for the plane?
And, has anyone dealt with www.guitaraust.com.au before?

Rick_

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:16 am

Looking forward to seeing your progress Rick.

I've dealt with Guitaraust before. No problems. Quality product and quick service.

Bob

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:06 am

I've dealt with Guitaraust. Good helpful service.

Looking forward to seeing how this guitar of yours works out.

rick_
Wandoo

Post by rick_ » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:37 pm

ah cool, I was worried because their body blanks are cheaper than other places, however it's the only place I can find mahogany. Being on a tight Uni budget, I'm hoping to pull this off for a few hundred :P

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:27 pm

Welcome Rick, and I'm looking forward to your progress picts. As for pulling it off for a couple of hundred....well you might, but watch out for addictive tendencies. It's almost impossible to stop and one.

A great marketing ploy of luthier suppliers would be to give away the first bits free of charge, then when they get us hooked, the price goes up....way up...come on, you know you need it. :lol:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:30 pm

Allen wrote:A great marketing ploy of luthier suppliers would be to give away the first bits free of charge, then when they get us hooked, the price goes up....way up...come on, you know you need it. :lol:
psst..... Hey man you wanna buy some nice figured mahogony? doesnt split.......... man.... what about genuine artic spruce, old growth man........ hey..... have I ever lied to you?

Good call Allen. Rick, welcome, take your time and have fun. People love pikkies on this forum,

Sebastiaan

rick_
Wandoo

Post by rick_ » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:53 pm

They cost me $10 each :P bargain i thinks.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:17 pm

The number 4 looks to be in great nick and was a real bargain. Footprint make fine tools as well so you have done very well. Spend a bit of time on the net and read up on how to "tune" a hand plan and you will have a wonderful tool.

Also, Google "Scary Sharp" as this is a sure fire system to obtain properly sharpend hand tools so it will work well for plan blades and chisels. A # 9 1/2 is a useful block plane to acquire as is a # 60 which is an adjustable mouth low angle block plane great for end-grain work.

Cheers

Kim

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:28 pm

Whereabouts in the country are you Rick?

I had a look on the GuitarAust site. The Mahogany Body blanks are about $70.

Australian Furniture Timbers in Melbourne have Mahogany (Honduran or African).

For that price you'd buy a plank that'd get you around two bodies and a heap of necks.

I would imagine Trend Timbers in Sydney would have similar and you should be able to find similar deals at other fine wood yards around the country.

Bob

rick_
Wandoo

Post by rick_ » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:43 pm

Kim:

Thanks, looking up the setup of planes now (very technical stuff). Dont really know what the rest of what you said means :P but I'm sure its more tools = more uses haha
EDIT: So scary sharp you reckon i can resharpen the existing pane blade?

Bob:

Live in Southeastern suburbs of Melbourne (naree warren/dandenong area)
I might shop around a bit, especially for necks, because I'd like a relay thick piece so i don't have to glue the headstock on. I was just thinking luthier bought wood would be the correct thickness. (Dont have a thicken-majig)

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:57 pm

Rick

If you can get yourself down to Geelong I'd be more than happy to give you a hand getting your timber trued up, thicknessed, bandsawed or whatever you need to get yourself started.

Bob

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:00 am

rick_ wrote:Kim:

So scary sharp you reckon i can resharpen the existing pane blade?
Only about 492 more times by the look of it in your image Rick :lol:

Cheers

Kim

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:03 am

Kim wrote:
rick_ wrote:Kim:

So scary sharp you reckon i can resharpen the existing pane blade?
Only about 492 more times by the look of it in your image Rick :lol:

Cheers

Kim
IMO scary sharp is great but it comes at a price. I tried it and then changed to Japanese water stones, an Ashby Strop and a Veritas honing guide. I dress the primary bevel on a new blade and then I work in a 2-3degree microbevel. The microbevel is he working edge so when it comes to resharpening I just have to touch up the micro bevel.

Planes...I love Veritas. They cost a bit more but they need minimal tuning out of the box and theyre going to last a life time.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:10 am

Forget Bunnings...for a start they wont know what a plane blade is. Theyll probably suggest you try the nearest airport

For spare blades for that plane try Lee Vally in the US (google for their website). They stock blades that are actually better than the standard Stanley blades. I think they also stock toothed blades which are handy when working tops and for tough woods.

Here in Adelaide MIK on Magill Road stock replacement blades.

Cheers Martin

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:33 am

don't you have a Carbatec in Melbourne? They have pretty much everything except the elbow-grease. They have an online shop and ship quickly too.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:27 am

Not to discourage a tool buying spree(which I am prone to myself) but you should probably plan the design and process of building before you worry too much about the tools. Is it to be set neck or bolt on. will you buy or build the neck?
I have built 3 electrics and did not use a hand plane on any of them except for roughing in the fingerboard
Buy your wood for the body thicknessed to what you need. same with the fingerboard.
Think about the processes you will be going through and find a way to accomplish them which may mean borrowing a tool or using someones bandsaw for 1/2 hour.

rick_
Wandoo

Post by rick_ » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:52 pm

never heard of Carbatec... I'll look that one up

I've already planned to have a set neck that im going to make myself, and i know I'll need these tools because i want to bevel the body. Plus, they were cheap :P

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:09 pm

Cheap is a good enough reason to buy any reasonable quality tool

rick_
Wandoo

Post by rick_ » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:12 pm

quick update here

I've spent all weekend looking for somewhere that sells mahogany locally

as of yet, no luck. even guitaraust.com.au is outta stock. so at the moment, the project is on hold until i can find somewhere :(

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:48 pm

The two tele's pictured below are both Mahogany. The one on the right is Honduras and the one on the left is African.

I paid about $140 for the two planks of timber.

From those two planks I got enough for 4 acoustic guitars, two electrics, some wood left over for linings, neck and end blocks and a couple of necks.

There's a mountain of this stuff at

Australian Furniture Timbers
351 Plummer Street
Port Melbourne
Ph 9646 1081

I was in there 3 weeks ago and bought enough Mahogany to make 15 one piece acoustic necks. There's still plenty left.

Cheers

Bob

rick_
Wandoo

Post by rick_ » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:45 am

nice find, only problem is, port melb is about 1 hr 30 mins drive for me. i was looking for somewhere closer, or home delivered