Forum's Choice

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Can't decide what my next build will be, highest vote wins!

Poll ended at Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:55 pm

12 Stringer, 'SJ' sized body, Brent Cole's Bearclaw Spruce top & Ziricote B&S
64%
All Tassy Blackwood Resonator round neck twanger, spider type bridge.
36%

Total votes: 36

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Forum's Choice

Post by Nick » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:41 pm

trevtheshed wrote:
Nick wrote:Trevor, did you still keep a 25" or longer scale...
I used 24.9" (632mm) on a Gibson 185-ish body shape.
Thanks Trevor, seeing as both you and Craig have used this scale & enjoyed the sound...why re-invent the wheel! I'll go with that should the twelve string win the poll :D
trevtheshed wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:And DONT f&^%k up the compensation at the saddle!!! :oops:
Nut and saddle compensation is something to think about on a 12 string. Makes a big difference.
I'm just getting my head around Craig's saddle in his 6 pin tute, now I got to think about the nut as well!!?? :lol: I've never built with nut compensation, what would you say is the advantage/s of a compensated nut Trevor? (I've got your books to use as reference should I go down this route but may enquire of you further!)
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Nick wrote:I've never built with nut compensation, what would you say is the advantage/s of a compensated nut Trevor?
Plays more in tune to the equally tempered scale (less extraneous jangle) and therefore sounds better. For people who are bothered by so-so intonation, once they've heard the difference there is no going back. And you get twice the effect on 12 strings.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:43 pm

Nick wrote: I'm just getting my head around Craig's saddle in his 6 pin tute, now I got to think about the nut as well!!?? :lol: I've never built with nut compensation, what would you say is the advantage/s of a compensated nut Trevor? (I've got your books to use as reference should I go down this route but may enquire of you further!)
Because youve got paired strings with big differences in string guage the ramping at the saddle is a bit more challenging than on a 6 string. If the initial saddle placement is not spot on then you can find yourself right at the edge of the saddle with the ramping on some strings. Theres a thread from Craig on getting it right but IMO nut compensation would be a better way to go and Im definitely going to try it on my next 12 banger.
Martin

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:00 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Because youve got paired strings with big differences in string guage the ramping at the saddle is a bit more challenging than on a 6 string. If the initial saddle placement is not spot on then you can find yourself right at the edge of the saddle with the ramping on some strings. Theres a thread from Craig on getting it right but IMO nut compensation would be a better way to go and Im definitely going to try it on my next 12 banger.

Martin , if I'm reading you correctly , it's not a case of having either a compensated nut OR a compensated saddle. To do the job right and have the guitar play in tune, it's a case of having both a compensated nut AND an individually compensated saddle . As Trevor mentioned ,, there's no going back once you've experienced the difference,

The ramping of the saddle isn't all that difficult to achieve. I used a saddle of 5 mm width ( from memory ) which gave plenty of room for good compensation and ramping
Craig Lawrence

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:20 pm

Craig wrote: Martin , if I'm reading you correctly , it's not a case of having either a compensated nut OR a compensated saddle. To do the job right and have the guitar play in tune, it's a case of having both a compensated nut AND an individually compensated saddle . As Trevor mentioned ,, there's no going back once you've experienced the difference,

The ramping of the saddle isn't all that difficult to achieve. I used a saddle of 5 mm width ( from memory ) which gave plenty of room for good compensation and ramping
Yes you're correct Trevor is talking about compensating both nut and saddle.

I also used a 5mm saddle on my 12 string but because the angle on the saddle slot when I routed it wasnt spot on I had issues with ramping some of the strings. Regardless....I do think you have a bit more leeway when compensatiing a 6 string.
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:52 pm

With twice the number of votes so far, the 12 is looking like a reality at this stage Craig (although there is a week to go before the poll finishes) so a big thanks to both you and Trevor, it may just turn an average sounding guitar into something special....Nut & Saddle compensation it is! :D
Damn now I'll have to go and get a handle on all this new info :twisted: (it's actually one of the fun jobs I enjoy with new builds :D )
"Jesus Loves You."

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:35 pm

Nick wrote:With twice the number of votes so far, the 12 is looking like a reality at this stage Craig (although there is a week to go before the poll finishes) so a big thanks to both you and Trevor, it may just turn an average sounding guitar into something special....Nut & Saddle compensation it is! :D
Damn now I'll have to go and get a handle on all this new info :twisted: (it's actually one of the fun jobs I enjoy with new builds :D )
I'll be over in May to check out progress....
Martin

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Nick wrote:
auscab wrote:I voted for the

"smaller than a dready' twelve stringer (using my double back system) "

Just because I was wondering, whats a double back system ?
It's a method I first used on a Maccafferri build (shouldn't really say it's my method because it's probably been used before :oops: Nothing new in Luthiery! I just came up with my own ideas & theories) about halfway down this page and also on two subsequent builds Rob, here. I believe (without any hard scientific evidence or numbers to back it up! :oops: ) that it produces slightly more volume from a smaller body because the back is more active & less influenced (read damped) by the player's gut, which in my case is a major influence! :lol:
Here's, also, a short discussion on my idea's behind the method viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2844 if you are interested.

Thanks Nick, scanned through the Variations on a Macca thread last night. Amazing !!

Do you know how much more thick the top and braces of a 12 string would be compared to a 6 string?
Ive been curious about that for a while, and have never come across that information. Twice the tension, but surely not twice the top thickness and brace height ?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 pm

[quote="auscab
Do you know how much more thick the top and braces of a 12 string would be compared to a 6 string?
Ive been curious about that for a while, and have never come across that information. Twice the tension, but surely not twice the top thickness and brace height ?[/quote]

Top on my 12 banger is Lutz spruce and is probably only a tad thicker than what Id go to for my 6 strings. Brace dimensions are same as on my 6 strings but I did add a third tone bar across the lower bout. Nearly 2 years down the track and no sign of bellying or other problems.
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:51 am

That's my thinking too Martin. To answer your question Rob, the bearclaw is a bit stiffer across grain (apologies to Trevor,Dominic & John et al, I don't take readings/deflection measurements e.t.c :oops: , I'm very much an old style "feel it between the fingers" type of builder) so will leave the top a tad thicker than I would normally and also I plan to use the X brace style with a smaller x bracing in the area behind the bridge. I think Bob Connor builds using this technique. I will start with the bracing a smidge higher than I would with a 6 string then shave down accordingly depending on what the top is telling me.
"Jesus Loves You."

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:05 am

If you look up "cube rule" on this and other forums Rob, it will illustrate that it doesn't take much of an increase in height to exponentially strengthen up the brace. It's early in the morning here as I post & I'm not a morning person so putting my socks on is a tax on the brain cells! Specifics of the cube rule escape me currently :oops:
"Jesus Loves You."

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:53 am

I made my bracing 10% taller than what I would on a 6 string . Virtually no weight increase . I used an Englemann soundboard as I thought it's properties would suit a 12 . You would normally leave Englemann a little thicker ( as I did ) but it depends on the qualities of the piece you are using. A slightly bigger bridge patch ( Rosewood in this case) .The completed soundboard wasn't much heavier than a 6 stringer.
I guess if I had intended to string the thing up with fairly heavy strings and tuned to concert I may have beefed things up a little more , but I didn't want to overbuild and have the thing sound crap like so many other 12's .
You'll note the three lower face braces , the first of which , I placed fairly close to the bridge patch area.
boat71.JPG
boat71.JPG (111.15 KiB) Viewed 16334 times
boat41.jpg
boat41.jpg (145.2 KiB) Viewed 16334 times

The area above the soundhole I've made quite solid . The A frame bracing is ideal here and I didn't skimp on it's dimensions ( 5/16 " X 1/2 " ) with the upper transverse being 1/2 " X 3/4 "
boat31.jpg
boat31.jpg (130.13 KiB) Viewed 16334 times
Another important consideration with 12 stringers which seems often ignored , is their playability. I've played way too many that have necks much too narrow . 1 15/16 " at the nut minimum
Craig Lawrence

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:03 am

Look at that frickin' lining will ya'. It's so neat and pretty it should be on the outside of the frickin' instrument.
Martin

Matt Bach
Myrtle

Post by Matt Bach » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:04 am

kiwigeo wrote:Look at that frickin' lining will ya'. It's so neat and pretty it should be on the outside of the frickin' instrument.
Was thinking this too and then noticed the inlay on the heel block!!!

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:10 am

Matt Bach wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:Look at that frickin' lining will ya'. It's so neat and pretty it should be on the outside of the frickin' instrument.
Don't you Aussies worry about such details Matt? :lol: :lol:
Thanks Craig for your layout & thoughts it's all very useful info for me at this stage! I have seen the triple bracing layout & was thinking I'd go down this route but also I've seen Bob's double X and thought that would add strength without compromising top movement also, so it's still up in the air as to which way I go at this stage.
"Jesus Loves You."

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:12 am

Matt Bach wrote:
:lol: The guitar sports a soundport Matt . Whilst it's there for sound purposes it also enables those interested to take a bit of a look inside . :D Knowing this , I made sure the viewer would find it interesting :D The kiwi inlay is pretty close to the soundport as you can see . ( taken before finish )
pro41.jpg
pro41.jpg (76.71 KiB) Viewed 16318 times
Craig Lawrence

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:17 am

Nick wrote:

Thanks Craig for your layout & thoughts it's all very useful info for me at this stage! I have seen the triple bracing layout & was thinking I'd go down this route but also I've seen Bob's double X and thought that would add strength without compromising top movement also, so it's still up in the air as to which way I go at this stage.
Nick , you might find it interesting that Lowden now includes 3 lower braces on his 6 stringers.
Craig Lawrence

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:20 am

Craig wrote: Nick , you might find it interesting that Lowden now includes 3 lower braces on his 6 stringers.
Would that be to make it a Lowden Clear Craig? :lol: :lol:
"Jesus Loves You."

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:23 am

Nick wrote:
Craig wrote: Nick , you might find it interesting that Lowden now includes 3 lower braces on his 6 stringers.
Would that be to make it a Lowden Clear Craig? :lol: :lol:
:lmao :lmao :cl :cl
Craig Lawrence

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:14 pm

Look at that frickin' lining will ya'. It's so neat and pretty it should be on the outside of the frickin' instrument.
I hope, one day, to make a guitar on which the outside looks as good as the inside does on this one.

Don't do anythiong by halves, hey Craig? :cl :cl :cl
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:35 am

nnickusa wrote: Don't do anythiong by halves, hey Craig? :cl :cl :cl
He takes an hour to park his car at the supermarket......the process involves giant straight edges, laser range finders and a surveyor's theodolite.
Martin

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:40 am

kiwigeo wrote:
He takes an hour to park his car at the supermarket......the process involves giant straight edges, laser range finders and a surveyor's theodolite.
:lol: ........Micrometer,, check ,,,,,, calculator , check,,,,,,protractor , check,,,,,,,,,, And the feeler guages ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,DON'T FORGET THE FEELER GUAGES ! :shock: ,, :D
Craig Lawrence

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:17 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
nnickusa wrote: Don't do anythiong by halves, hey Craig? :cl :cl :cl

I would suggest that you ditch the theodolite and go with a scanner. You'll need a robust laptop to be able to handle the point cloud, but I think its do-able.

Mobil scanning is da bomb.

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:26 pm

Lillian wrote:

I would suggest that you ditch the theodolite and go with a scanner. You'll need a robust laptop to be able to handle the point cloud, but I think its do-able.

Mobil scanning is da bomb.
G'day Lillian Great to see you about again.

Scanner you say ! . Hmmmmmm,,, O.K. , I'm on it . Always helpful as usual .

Not sure if we have the "Robust " brand laptop here in Australia Lillian...... I know we have Dell.......... :lol:

Seriously though,, I think you guys may be having a bit of a go at me ,,,,,, I can tell,,,, :D
Craig Lawrence

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:53 pm

Craig wrote: Seriously though,, I think you guys may be having a bit of a go at me ,,,,,, I can tell,,,, :D
Just jealous of the "kiwi" way of doing things Craig :wink: :lol:
"Jesus Loves You."