Norton Water Stones

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Jeremy D
Admin

Norton Water Stones

Post by Jeremy D » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi Guys,

I haven't posted for a while, took the summer off from working on my first build (Gold Coast, no air con in the shed). Just started doing some work today and getting close to closing the box which is exciting.

The reason for my post is I am thinking about getting rid of my near new Norton stones and going down the diamond sharpening route ah la Gore/Gilet book. Couple of reasons for this. First one, and you are going to laugh, is I don't like messing around with water for two long because it softens my calluses and nails. I realise this is going to raise eyebrows but I try to practice at least an hour a day a playing is one of the only things that keeps me sane :). I also don't like messing around flattening them all the time, I just want to do a quick sharpen and get on with it.

So I thought I would offer them up here before I send them off to eBay. They have been used about 4 times. The only marks are on the 4000 grit. There is a small chip on one of the corners. If anyone is interested I will post a pic. Otherwise off to eBay. Here is a link to the exact product that I bought http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Waterstone ... 406&sr=8-3. The flattening stone is useless but is included. I ended up buying a DMT plate for flattening. If your interested send me a PM.

On a side note the wife bought me the Gore/Gilet book for Christmas. There is some great stuff in here, already paid for itself with the DIY thickness gauge.

Image.

I actually got to play a Gilet guitar last weekend at guitar brothers in Brisbane. Seemed like a very responsive, lightly built instrument. I think it was Sitka/Blackwood. Unfortunately It has been neglected. Rusty old strings and really high action. I hit they guys up about it and they said it was consignment and they couldn't do anything about it. The real shame is the wall was covered in Chinese imports (Blueridge), surprise surprise these were setup perfectly.

Anyway thanks for reading.
Jeremy D

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: Norton Water Stones

Post by Mark McLean » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi Jeremy
Good job with the thickness gauge. I have been planning to make one too. Where did you get the gear?

On another note, I notice two things that you mentioned regarding your first build - "no air con in the shed" and "getting close to closing the box"

Are you aware of the humidity issue? I bet it is pretty high humidity up your way at the moment. The top and back that you are about to glue up will be pretty swollen up if they haven't been in a humidity controlled environment. If you glue them to the rims like that you will get a nasty surprise when the weather gets drier. The plates will shrink, the convex contours then tend to collapse, and the worst case scenario is a cracked back and/or top. You need to think about the relative humidity at the time of gluing the braces also.

Perhaps you have already worked out a solution to this - in which case pardon me for butting in. But I don't want to see anybody else have the experience that I had with my #4 build, as mentioned in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3749

I invested in a dehumidifier on E-Bay and a bit of weatherproofing in the shed, and spent quite a bit of time disassembling and re-bracing #4. All good now!

cheers

Mark

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply and info. I got the dial gauge from my father courtesy of his work :). There are plenty on ebay though. The plan was from the Gore/Gilet build book. All kinds of great jigs and insights.

For my build I have all the components in a spare room that has a de-humidifier in it, also from ebay :). I have only switched it back on last week so I am going to wait a week or two more before I do any gluing. I am building from the cumpiano book for my first. I am currently dimensioning the sides that are already attached to the top on the solera.

I will read through your thread though, I am interested in finding a better solution too my spare bedroom arrangement. I am also going to install air con before next summer in the shed but it will most likely only be on when I am working in there (I have a day job). I did see a de-humidiy box thingy that someone built on this forum that sounded interesting.

Anyway. Have a great weekend.
Jeremy D

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:09 am

Sounds like you have got it all sorted out.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:20 am

If you like how the water stones work, you could always just slip on latex mechanics gloves when you sharpen and as long as your aren't wearing them too long you won't risk softening your nails or calluses.