opinions please

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

opinions please

Post by Tod Gilding » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:45 am

Hi All, I have been asked by a friend to repair this small travel guitar, this a steel string with a 17 ¼ “ scale length , he returned it to the guitar shop where he bought it and got the usual reply from the salesman that he had “subjected it to heat which caused the failure” this is only a cheap guitar, but I don’t believe that it is suitable for the purpose that it was sold , What do you think ? Also if I simply reglue the butt joint how long do think it would be before it fails again, opinions please.
Attachments
sm49.jpg
sm47.jpg
sm44.jpg
sm42.jpg
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Matt Bach
Myrtle

Re: opinions please

Post by Matt Bach » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:03 am

Aside from regluing, could you hide a insert/bolt or dowel in the heel?

As for being suitable for the purpose I'd argue it's not. If it's supposed to be a steel string travel guitar it should be a little more robust and an afternoon in a hot car shouldn't cause it to fold it in half. Can't really blame the salesman unless he sells another while knowing of the potential for failure I guess?

Seems like anything small these days gets called a "travel" guitar, just like everything shoddy gets called a "beginner instrument"...

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:30 am

Tod,

It's called a travel guitar because it has a neck that travels. The Salesman should have explained this to you.

+1 for dowel reinforcement or bolt on modification.
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:48 am

Asking a lot of any glue at such a stressed point I'd say. Unfortunately (without knowing what your friend paid for it) it's the old addage "Buy cheap,get cheap". I'm with Martin & Matt. If some form of hardwood doweling or a bolt on system can be retro fitted then I'd be adding that just for the sake of the little chap's longevity.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:52 am

Tod, the label says "Traditional Design Series"....since when was nothing to join the neck on a traditional design... :shock:

Is that hide glue on there?....or just wishful thinking.

Give me a ring if you like...

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:40 am

1 hinge + 1 bolt + no glue will make it a real travel guitar... but of course this will most probably not be what your friend would like to get back.
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:43 am

charangohabsburg wrote:1 hinge + 1 bolt + no glue will make it a real travel guitar... but of course this will most probably not be what your friend would like to get back.
Large gate hinges on special at Mitre 10 this week :mrgreen:
Martin

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:57 am

kiwigeo wrote:
charangohabsburg wrote:1 hinge + 1 bolt + no glue will make it a real travel guitar... but of course this will most probably not be what your friend would like to get back.
Large gate hinges on special at Mitre 10 this week :mrgreen:
Right. Travellers do need sturdy equipment, don't they.

I forgot to mention the possibility of a big rare earth magnet at the traditional location of the neck block and replace the high frets with iron wire. The magnet will not only hold the neck (in its traditional position) but also will serve as a belt clip. :mrgreen:
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Thanks Guy’s ,it looks like we all agree that it needs more than just HHG , I think I’ll go through the heal with some threaded inserts and bolt it, then cover it with a heal cap .

I knew when I posted this that Marty and Marcus wouldn’t let me down :D

John, if I give you a ring, does that mean that were engaged or something :D (will call soon mate)
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:02 pm

....definitely not!
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:10 pm

It just looks like a bad glue job, maybe a friday job.

Clean it / glue it properly and it will be fine. Doesnt need a bolt or insert, that being said nothing wrong with fitting one, martins are doing it now as a factory fit.

But glue it properly and it will be fine...
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:57 pm

It's a fairly traditional joint for many ukuleles. Never seen it on a guitar though. I'd sleep better at night with at least one bolt in it.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:31 am

simso wrote:It just looks like a bad glue job, maybe a friday job.

Clean it / glue it properly and it will be fine. Doesnt need a bolt or insert, that being said nothing wrong with fitting one, martins are doing it now as a factory fit.

But glue it properly and it will be fine...
Steve, What are Martin doing now, surely not joining necks like this, are they ?
Tod

John Lennon

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:10 am

Mis-interpretation, martins are using just a single bolt through the neck block and into the heel
Steve
Master of nothing,

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:02 pm

David Russell Young's book Steel String Guitar Construction & Repair that I used back in the late 1970's shows the neck attached in this way. Although I built many guitars using his book I could not bring myself to use that method.
Taff

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:10 pm

I Don't Blame You For That Taff , It is too much of a critical point to cut corners.at least we can sleep well at night :D
Tod

John Lennon

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:21 pm

simso wrote:It just looks like a bad glue job, maybe a friday job.
This joint was bound to fail no matter what day of the week it was made. You'd get by with this cheap arse neck joint on a classical but not on a steel string. Even my Renaissance lute has a dirty big screw through the scarf joint joining the neck to the body of the instrument.
Martin

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:02 pm

I dont understand why people under estimate the strength of glue, properly done its as good as if not better than a screwed joint.

Scarf joints are glued, certainly a smaller area of contact than a whole heel area.
Bridges are glued, massive amount of tension on just a small area, body tops which support the whole bridge are glued,

My point - glue is good if done properly. And for such a big contact point as this little guitar, it would be more than sufficient if done properly

Not criticising others views, its just I glue 3-5 guitars up a day in repairs, and none fail.
Steve
Master of nothing,

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:49 am

simso wrote:Bridges are glued, massive amount of tension on just a small area, body tops which support the whole bridge are glued,
The way I see it,most of the tension around the bridge is taken by the bridge plate Steve as the ball ends sit against it & pulls up, unless of course it's a pinless design (and some of these have failed & I note some have taken to gluing these using epoxy) then the bridge is the sole load bearing member. But you are right when you say a decently prepped & glued joint should be just as strong as mechanically fixed joints. I've glued numerous scarf joints on electric headstocks (that run into the actual neck, so reducing the glued surface area) and only ever had one that failed but I hadn't prepped the joint properly! (leason learn't right there :oops: ). In this case tho, some form of mechanical fixing, as well as glue, would be cheap insurance in my opinion.
"Jesus Loves You."

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Agreed, an extra screw or bolt is not going to hurt, I had three guitars today that we took the old bridges of and refitted them (they were lifting), this was becuase the manufacturer's get it wrong as well, example leaves lacquer where it shouldnt be, uses insufficient glue, doesnt fit a bridge plate under the bridge, whoops dont need one of those, etc
Steve
Master of nothing,

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:31 am

simso wrote:doesnt fit a bridge plate under the bridge, whoops dont need one of those, etc
:shock: If the guitar's too cheap to have a couple of dollars worth of 'extra' wood fitted in such an important area how come the customer's going to the trouble of a repair and not using it as a pizza paddle? :wink:
"Jesus Loves You."

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:30 am

:wink:
pcaster in action 001 (Small).JPG
pcaster in action 001 (Small).JPG (83.73 KiB) Viewed 17910 times
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:00 am

Taffy Evans wrote:David Russell Young's book Steel String Guitar Construction & Repair that I used back in the late 1970's shows the neck attached in this way. Although I built many guitars using his book I could not bring myself to use that method.
I remember his book showing a tendon into the body that was locked into place with dowels. The holes for the dowels were drilled two straddle both the tendon and the neck block. But I am getting old and forgetful.

Cookie man
Myrtle

Post by Cookie man » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:54 am

Lillian wrote: I remember his book showing a tendon into the body that was locked into place with dowels. The holes for the dowels were drilled two straddle both the tendon and the neck block.
Sounds painful :mrgreen:
needsmorecowbel wrote: Markus it doesn't count when you briefly duck out the shed, make a fly fishing rod, then catch a trout from your hand carved canoe, package it (with the hand made vacuum machine) and then take a photo with your home made electron microscope....
:lol:

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:17 am

Hi Lillian, yep done that on quiet a few guitars back in the day. I could sleep well knowing that the neck is never going to let go, I was soooo right.
Twenty years on and I had to remove one of those necks and I could not get it out of the tenon. So I sawed it off at the heal and introduced myself to my first bolt on neck.
Then late last year [30 years on] I had another of my guitars, [loaned to a friend by the owner, who left it in the car on a hot day] come back and I had to remove the neck as part of the repair, I cut that off too and used a bolted system.
Taff