Neck side Strap pin location?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

nnickusa
Blackwood

Neck side Strap pin location?

Post by nnickusa » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:27 am

I very much like keeping straps on all my guitars when playing--even sitting down, so my question is, Where would you locate the pin on the neck side?

I've seen them in a number of places, from the bottom of the neck heel, the body, into the neck block, side of the neck heel, etc.

Opinions?

Thanks again,
Nick
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

woodrat
Blackwood

Re: Neck side Strap pin location?

Post by woodrat » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:53 am

Hi Nick I place mine on the heel on the cutaway side (even if no cutaway) so that the strap comes around slightly and ""cradles"" the guitar a bit...

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:53 am

Hi Nick, I put mine through the heal cap centred. I have played many guitars with the pins in just about every location possible and could not say that one position seemed to be better than another. I find that the problems occur when the eye on the straps becomes worn,not the pin location. however if you are sitting whilst playing, you would find the strap is slack and can easily work it's way of the button, so in that situation I would think that John's position might possibly hold it better.
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:19 pm

Tod, I use that position because I use the Gore/Gilet neck joint that has a brass bar on the centerline of the heel. Stuart Newman found out about this when someone brought one of Trevors guitars in to his Byron Bay workshop to fit a strap button.....he drilled into the heel only to find that the resistance to the drill changed as he went through the wood and got to the brass....:).....that was his first introduction to Trevors great guitars and his innovative neck attachment design....he decided to investigate further and ended up coming to the course we recently had with TG.....but I digress
......so having said all that I find it is a good position and I am not going to give up a great structural component for the sake of a strap button.....:)

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:39 pm

Well, it seems the consensus is that spot. A guy I know--good guitarist--just looked over the guitar, and reckons that it's wise to leave the strap pins off for a few months, then put them in. Is there any reason for not doing it now? I was just heading out to buy a drill bit the correct size?

Also, funnily enough a mate of mine just gave me Stuart's number, and suggested I might look him up for more info, and/or help. Is he a member here?

I've been using Andrew Knight for many years for things that I don't do myself, but he's an hour away, and Byron's only ten minutes....

Cheers,
Nick
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:36 pm

I've never seen Stuart on the forum. Also can't vouch for his repair work as I don't know anyone that has used him. But his instruments are really something else.

Another luthier near you would be Les Dorahy. He's in Booyong. I've been to his place a couple of times, and seen his work. I've no problems recommending him.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Cookie man
Myrtle

Post by Cookie man » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:19 pm

Stewmac has briefly covered this topic here.
needsmorecowbel wrote: Markus it doesn't count when you briefly duck out the shed, make a fly fishing rod, then catch a trout from your hand carved canoe, package it (with the hand made vacuum machine) and then take a photo with your home made electron microscope....
:lol:

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:14 am

On instruments I build for other's I'll put it where ever they want it but my own personal preference is on the bottom of the heel (on the back of the guitar in other words) just because I feel the strap is less 'in the way' of your fretting hand when it's there but as I say, that's just a personal preference. Not sure what your mate is on about about leaving the pins off, from a structural point of view it doesn't matter whether they go on straight away or months down the track. The only reason I can think your friend says this is maybe it gives you time to get a feel for the guitar and a better indication of where on it & strap would interfere less with the playing of the instrument and be in a good position for the overall balance of the guitar.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.