Blackwood Stain.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

woodrat
Blackwood

Blackwood Stain.

Post by woodrat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:17 am

I was wondering what various strategies members employ to either get rid of the horrible blue green stain that Backwood gets when you put it in the side bender. I usually just scrape it out but it is mainly in the area of the cutaway area that I have thinned to 1.5mm to get around the venetian cutaway section and I dont want to thin it much more. I was wondering if oxalic acid would be useful as a treatment?
Any advice would be appreciated....

Regards

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

auscab
Blackwood

Re: Blackwood Stain.

Post by auscab » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:33 am

Hi John ,
I'm not sure about the blue green stains but Oxalic acid works 100% on oxide stains left from metals on a lot of timbers, most that I have seen are black.
I have a large sack of the pure crystal here and would send you some but I don't think it can be posted.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:17 pm

I use oxalic acid for many stain removal jobs on wood and it does work good. Your best bet would be to stain up a bit of scrap about the same thickness and do a test run. Be careful with it cause if you leave it on the wood too long it can sometimes degrade the woods surface making it furry then you have to scrape anyway.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:13 pm

Best bet is to not get the stain in the first place John. Next time around isolate the Blackwood from any metal contact with kitchen paper or that brown butcher type paper that Stewmac jams in boxes or some cloth.

My first Blackwood build had that stain go so deep I spent days trying to sand it all out. Now I don't get any at all.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi Allen, I had two layers of thin brown paper (thinner than the StewMac paper you mentioned) between the steel and the blackwood...it still did it :(
it is not as bad on the outside surface but I hope that it is not all the way through the cutaway section.It is only an issue in the cut away but the cutaway was only 1.5 mm thick to ease the bending....

Thanks Allen

John

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:41 pm

I also changed from steel to alloy flashing for my bending slats. That seems to have helped a fair bit as well. Also almost no water. I just barley dampen the sides and then squeegee them damp-dry.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:06 pm

Roger That Allen, I used too much water....I am a bit paranoid about the tight bend...I wanted it to bend easily...seems I used too much...Still hoping it will scrape/sand out.I will glue some doubling veneer on the inside.

Regards

John

Steve
Blackwood

Post by Steve » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:18 pm

I also wrap in paper, use alloy flashing & got staining on my last set of blackwood sides too. I gave them a light spray, but I'm going to be giving them a wipe off next time now too - thanks for the discussion fellas.

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:59 pm

Does distilled water work?

Steve

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:39 am

Works to make steam, but it's not the water itself that makes the stain.

If I'm bending on the pipe I won't use water at all unless the piece is a bit stubborn.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:08 am

Good thread for me, as my next one is blackwood....

If I'm reading this right, you just spray the sides before bending?

And, Allen, do you mean that you bend the blackwood dry?
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:25 am

I'm relieved to hear someone else thins the side to make the cutaway bend. I haven't seen it come up before.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:27 am

If you read through Benedetto's book on arch top guitars he tells you to take them down to around the 1.8mm if memory serves me. Doesn't reinforce them after either as the area in the bend is stronger than that on the flats.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:06 pm

Sorry Allen so not using water and bending dry leaves them without stain?

Steve

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:21 pm

Allen
I have also been skeptical about using softening agents (soap or alkaline products) with the water spray (for sides) thinking it may leave residue in the wood that may cause problems for finishing/pore filling adhesion, have you got any feedback or thoughts about that?

Thanks Steve

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:58 pm

The main reason I ask is that in Kinkade's book, he recommends soaking rosewood before bending. Now, not having the faintest idea what I was doing, I soaked the Qld Maple before bending....

It was very hard to make it maintain it's shape when I got the curves I wanted, and I ended up with a little "wrinkle" in one of the waists. I strongly suspect all of this was due to it being too wet...

Here's a couple pics, one with, one without flash....
brunswick rose 002 (Small).JPG
brunswick rose 002 (Small).JPG (93.72 KiB) Viewed 19176 times
brunswick rose 004 (Small).JPG
brunswick rose 004 (Small).JPG (87.95 KiB) Viewed 19176 times
I have no idea what the consequences of this will be...

I'm really only looking for a guitar that plays OK for my first one, and to learn as much as possible about the entire process....
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:41 pm

I've never used any softening agents. I know some guys who have a hell of a lot more experience than me use them on stubborn woods, and others with just a much experience won't touch them with a barge pole. As long as I'm not having difficulties, using them is not on the cards.

The "Old School" ways of soaking many woods I think stems from having to bend them on a hot pipe. Today with the silicone heat blanket and solid forms you can get away with a lot less water. There are quite a few of the uke guys using 2 blankets. One on each side because so many of the bends are every bit as tight as a venetian cutaway.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:06 pm

Allen wrote:If you read through Benedetto's book on arch top guitars he tells you to take them down to around the 1.8mm if memory serves me. Doesn't reinforce them after either as the area in the bend is stronger than that on the flats.

You're right. I mainly just look at the drawings after a skim thru the text.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Hi John

I have used oxalic acid to remove green stains on blackwood sides, after bending in a side bender
using steel slats. It worked well for me with no apparent detrimental effects on the timber. I used
a saturated solution of oxalic acid and brushed it on liberally, over the whole surface area of both sides,
as it is a bleech and I wanted to avoid any patchiness or colour variation. Let it dry out then washed the
sides liberally with water. (One application was enough to remove the stains.)
I also wiped the sides with metho as I have been led to believe that this will help neutralise any acid residue.
If you don't remove all traces of acid from the timber you may get deposits of small white crystals of acid
appearing on the surface of the timber. The sides were left in a body mould to allow them to dry out
and stop springback.

I bought my oxalic acid from a local pool shop and I have also seen it in hardware shops that have sausage
sizzles on the weekends. It is considered to be a dangerous chemical and you should read the MDS sheet for
oxalic acid and follow the appropriate precautions when using it.

Rob may wish to add further comments on using oxalic acid.

Are you coming to the NFF this year?
Bruce Mc.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:08 pm

nnickusa wrote:The main reason I ask is that in Kinkade's book, he recommends soaking rosewood before bending. Now, not having the faintest idea what I was doing, I soaked the Qld Maple before bending....

It was very hard to make it maintain it's shape when I got the curves I wanted, and I ended up with a little "wrinkle" in one of the waists. I strongly suspect all of this was due to it being too wet...

Here's a couple pics, one with, one without flash....
brunswick rose 002 (Small).JPG
brunswick rose 004 (Small).JPG
I have no idea what the consequences of this will be...

I'm really only looking for a guitar that plays OK for my first one, and to learn as much as possible about the entire process....
I suspect that wrinkle is because the wood was not pliable enough when you bent it.
ie
1. it wasn't hot enough or
2. the bend was done too quickly
or
3. the side was too thick.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:26 pm

afshar wrote:Hi John

I have used oxalic acid to remove green stains on blackwood sides, after bending in a side bender
using steel slats. It worked well for me with no apparent detrimental effects on the timber. I used
a saturated solution of oxalic acid and brushed it on liberally, over the whole surface area of both sides,
as it is a bleech and I wanted to avoid any patchiness or colour variation. Let it dry out then washed the
sides liberally with water. (One application was enough to remove the stains.)
I also wiped the sides with metho as I have been led to believe that this will help neutralise any acid residue.
If you don't remove all traces of acid from the timber you may get deposits of small white crystals of acid
appearing on the surface of the timber. The sides were left in a body mould to allow them to dry out
and stop springback.

I bought my oxalic acid from a local pool shop and I have also seen it in hardware shops that have sausage
sizzles on the weekends. It is considered to be a dangerous chemical and you should read the MDS sheet for
oxalic acid and follow the appropriate precautions when using it.

Rob may wish to add further comments on using oxalic acid.

Are you coming to the NFF this year?
Hi Bruce....Thanks for your experience with oxalic acid....I think vinegar would be the neutralising agent to use though....

and yes, I am coming to the National :)

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:02 am

My two cents (or 1.25 cents after tax):
The Blackwood I've bent, I've managed to sand out any staining but I use bugger all water for bending these days anyway. I bend over an Ibex style iron (aluminium body) & I've found that over time with each build, the amount of water I've applied has decreased to the extent that I just spray each side lightly so that if you held it vertically the water only just starts forming droplets but doesn't 'run' down the wood. Figured timbers get even less & I've managed to avoid any scorching by doing a bend in steps.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:21 am

Good stuff gents and ty Allen.

Steve

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:07 am

woodrat wrote:[Hi Bruce....Thanks for your experience with oxalic acid....I think vinegar would be the neutralising agent to use though....
)
Vinegar is also an acid, and hence will not neutralise oxalic acid. You would need to use an alkali.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:08 am

If you are looking for something to neutralize an acid, use baking soda.