Idea's Input Please

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Idea's Input Please

Post by Tod Gilding » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:14 pm

Hello All, I have my next build on the drawing board this will be Australian Red Cedar Back & Sides, I was thinking about adding to this a purfling of 24K Gold leaf, this is called gilding and with a name like mine I thought I'd give it a go, my idea is to bind the box and then finish with a couple of coats of shellac and then apply the gold onto the shellac and when finished continue on with a french polish finish over the gold, I suppose my question is has anyone tried gilding on a guitar that could advise or does anyone have any input at all that could help ?

Thanks Tod :D
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Alastair
Myrtle

Re: Idea's Input Please

Post by Alastair » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:23 pm

A couple of comments from my side, on the Cedar for back and sides:

I have used a lot of this for various furniture projects, and both the colour as well as the hardness of the timber can vary widely depending on the soil and growing conditions, from dark red and firm, to pale pink and quite "wooly".

In general, it is a softer timber, and would be more susceptible to dings than (eg) blackwood, Q maple etc)
In addition, the really spectacular "flame" grain is only evident in the flatsawn timber. Q/S is much less figured.
Regards

Alastair

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:44 pm

Thanks Alistair, I agree completely with regard to AU Cedar Jankar , the Au cedar was chosen after a bit of thought Re the pro’s and con’s ,this build will follow Trevor Gore’s design criteria eg Falcate, Live back, side mass etc and whilst a live back can be produced from almost any species, the same could also be argued for soundboards, but we don’t select them for their hardness, in an attempt to compensate for the softer wood I will use Rosewood bindings and be bloody careful with it as it will be my personal guitar and I am very careful , I have never damaged a guitar Yet. :D So the hardness wasn’t a significant con.
The Particular board that I have secured from the woodrat’s stash (Thanks John) is perfectly quarter sawn and although rare does display a beautiful exceptional figure.
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:01 pm

Tod, you got that in one of my weak moments! Well Done! :wink:

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:44 pm

woodrat wrote:Tod, you got that in one of my weak moments! Well Done! :wink:

John
Please PM your address.....I'll be arriving tomorrow morning :mrgreen:
Martin

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:02 pm

:D :lol:

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:08 pm

kiwigeo wrote:

John
Martin, be careful of the guard dogs :shock: They exist on a diet of Luthier :shock:
Tod

John Lennon

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:34 pm

Tod Gilding wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:

John
Martin, be careful of the guard dogs :shock: They exist on a diet of Luthier :shock:
Your dogs would take at least a day to chew up my leathery carcass and then they'd have indigestion for a week afterwards.
Martin

Alastair
Myrtle

Post by Alastair » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:33 pm

John

John,

Unlike Martin, you'e not that far from me. Better keep that guard dog well fed :)
Regards

Alastair

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:35 pm

I have just fed them and turned the stash's cloaking device on! There are also trip wires triggering tape recordings of Vogon Poetry at 110dB...that should keep you warmints away!! :x :x :D

John

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:17 pm

woodrat wrote:I have just fed them and turned the stash's cloaking device on! There are also trip wires triggering tape recordings of Vogon Poetry at 110dB...that should keep you warmints away!! :x :x :D

John
:lmao That's it John Keep those varmits out of OUR tonewood :D

But it looks like no help with the gilding , I have done a google search and can't find anything :o

looks like this gilding purf may be an original idea. good :D
Tod

John Lennon

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:25 pm

Tod Gilding wrote:
does anyone have any input at all that could help ?

Thanks Tod :D

Tod ,
I’ve never done gilding successfully[ I played with it a little] but have read a bit about it , from what I know you would have to read up on water gilding or oil gilding ,they have a different look about them, even if the same gold leaf is used. I think there are other ways of doing it these days. I’m not sure if it can be done with shellac ? possibly.

Water gilding looks stunning. it gets burnished at the end of the process and because of that gets a hard polished look. The guys and Gals that know how to do it well would have spent a fair bit of time learning how.

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:43 pm

Yeah that's right Rob , I have been learning about it for some time, it is an ancient art. and yes it will need burnishing with agate, that brings it up with a shine , I was just hoping that someone could give some advice on it's use on a guitar, or wood, as it is very thin it shows any deformity as in pores in the wood, this is why I have thought of pore filling first with shellac, to give a smooth surface to apply too, I also believe that some do use shellac as the adhesive. Just thought someone would have used this ancient art previously and could have advised me further. but I am happy especially with a name like Gilding to be the first to try it, I think it will look amazing and understated to an extent as a purfling around a dark wood like AU Cedar.
Tod

John Lennon

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:50 pm

I have a mate who gilded a Strat he built, so it was a completely gold body. He did tell me how he did it; he is in that line of business. I have a very sketchy recollection of what he said, as it wasn't something I was going to try in a hurry. Apparently there are two methods, one is water gilding (the "proper" way) and another method, which a can't recall. He applied the gold foil and then sprayed it with clear lacquer. He would have had to have had some sort of undercoat on first, which, I guess would have been nitro, and then put the gilding on top of that. To do a purfling, I would think you would have to gild a strip near the edge, then cut through the gold leaf with a purfling cutter both sides and then peel off the excess, leaving a nice even purfling strip. However, I don't know how the stuff peels off once it's on.

I've seen brass inlays on furniture that looks like gold purfling. Provided you can source the annealed brass strip, you could inlay it in a channel like inlaying a shell purfling, and that might be easier,with less risk should you have a sand through when finishing. You would then have to change you name, though - Brassed off?

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:21 am

Yeah Trevor "Tod Brassed Off "sounds Ok, but that would mean changing my drivers licence, credit cards, everything :cry:

But seriously I am determined to get this done , I will attempt any and all way's until I get it right, and then post a tut on it for anyone that wants to give it a go.

I think if I just mask a strip about 2mm wide and brush shellac on as a an adhesive, apply the leaf, I should be able to just brush the excess off leaving a perfect 2mm wide line ( I Think ) leave it with me.

I can't believe something like this hasn't been done, in this way I mean, I don't think that I would like it all over ,as in a gold plated Strat, but each to their own.
Tod

John Lennon

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:33 am

Tod Gilding wrote: I have done a google search and can't find anything :o

looks like this gilding purf may be an original idea. good :D
Don't be such a bloody wimp Tod...just man up a bit, dig deep and buy a few ozzies of au to make ur own solid purflings...

On a more realistic note.. :lol: Perhaps you could guild a solid strip of a non-porous pliable material such as copper or soft aluminium, inlay that in a similar fashion to shell using a removable Teflon strip to form a channel between the binding and body but leaving it shy of the surface by .010 or .015". Then you could drop fill with CA and scrape back level prior to finishing and buffing out with the rest of the guitar...no prior experience here but its and idea which may be worth investigating??? But then maybe not too... :P

Cheers

Kim

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:40 am

Sounds Like a Great idea Kim, I will give that a try on a bit of scrap first. Thanks :D
Tod

John Lennon

Matt Bach
Myrtle

Post by Matt Bach » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:10 am

I did a gold leaf finish on an electric once for "fun", it turned out pretty cool, but something along the line contaminated the clear and it's never been right since. I don't think it was the actual gold though. I used acrylic lacquer as the glue, brushing it on, then attempted to put the gold leaf down on the wet surface, then lacquered over the top. Getting the gold to stick was tricky, it's so thin, it breaks really easily. If I did it again I think I'd use a different method or product to get the gold leaf to stick, because I can still see brush strokes in it from the "gluing" which doesn't look terrible but it's not really great either.

I don't know if Gretsch use actual gold leaf on their fancy guys but they might have some tricks to steal?

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:15 am

Great Matt Thankyou :cl
Tod

John Lennon

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:47 am

I've not done it on a guitar, but I made my dinning table with copper leaf gilding. It looks great, but it is delicate. I wanted the table to have an old world look so when a bit wore off here and there it wasn't a big deal. I would worry that on a guitar that same wear would look less than ideal.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:28 am

did you have a finish on it Allen ?
Tod

John Lennon

ProfChris
Myrtle

Post by ProfChris » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:14 am

It's been done:

http://www.lunchtimeshopper.com/musical ... uitars.php

How they did it is still a mystery though.
Chris Reed

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:48 am

I think the one on the left is an early Strat :)
Tod

John Lennon

Alastair
Myrtle

Post by Alastair » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:03 pm

Tho' he's been absent from this thread, methinks Martin might just have some ideas, given his FP and Lute interests??
Regards

Alastair

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:50 pm

Alastair wrote:Tho' he's been absent from this thread, methinks Martin might just have some ideas, given his FP and Lute interests??
No ideas sorry......gold not really my thing.
Martin