Jarrah

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

simso
Blackwood

Jarrah

Post by simso » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:45 pm

Has anyone here used jarrah for bridge plates / fretboards / bracings / sides / backs

What was your thoughts. Just here in WA jarrah is in abundance and being a hard wood and readily available. Raises some questions.

Did you think the tone was tinny ( reputation jarrah has )
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Sean Syman
Wandoo

Re: Jarrah

Post by Sean Syman » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:24 pm

I've used Jarrah for both fretboard and bridge, with no ill effect to tone. On my Weissenborn it provides some wicked sustain. On the fingerboard however it can trap and show a decent amount of dirt, depending on the pores. The main reason I used it is that is was an easily accessible hardwood at a good price, so if there's heaps around why not give it a try?

Cheers, Sean

Pick
Kiwi

Post by Pick » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:27 am

I have used jarrah for making pickup mounting rings
Attachments
Chester 1.JPG
Chester 1.JPG (39.99 KiB) Viewed 11232 times
Bruce

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:46 pm

Have just put a jarrah board on a fretless bass I'm building. Love it. As nice as ebony and better than rosewood imho.

In the not too distant future it'll get a tru-oil finish.
Pete

Daniel_M
Blackwood

Post by Daniel_M » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:47 am

That Bass is just awesome - I love the design. Bass players always seem more open to different designs! :cl

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:49 pm

When you say "as nice as ebony and better than rosewood", what exactly do you mean?

Yes that's a neat bass design. I like it. Does it have much of an acoustic sound coming out of that chambered body? With a bridge that chunky I wouldn't have though a chambered body would do much. What pickups are you using?

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:27 pm

matthew wrote:When you say "as nice as ebony and better than rosewood", what exactly do you mean?

Yes that's a neat bass design. I like it. Does it have much of an acoustic sound coming out of that chambered body? With a bridge that chunky I wouldn't have though a chambered body would do much. What pickups are you using?
hard and firm like ebony and sturdier than rosewood (for a fretless bass that is). I've had a rosewood board on a fretless and they aren't suited to roundwound strings really. The nut on this bass is also Jarrah. I will say one negative thing and that is the grain is quite curly and a bitch to plane.

The edges of the top the chamber on this bass are very very thin. So it reasonates well and has quite a good acoustic sound. Unfortunately, as I was thinning the edges, the router bit came out and went through the top. Hence the slightly odd soundhole shape.

It's getting a passive musicman humbucker. Still got to figure out where to put it. But you can hear a soundsample of it with an Ehrlund Linear mic stuck to the top. Check this out...

http://soundcloud.com/simpleinnovation/ ... und-pickup

I know people are gonna say, "use a piezo", but my experience with them on upright basses is they are scratchy and quite exy for something that doesn't reproduce the sound properly. Sadly the Ehrlund feeds back too easily on this bass to use it with a big amp.

Sorry for getting off topic.
Pete

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:16 pm

I've used Jarrah for some years now for fingerboards and bridges, I find it OK, I had some with a fiddle back pattern in it, it looked great as a fingerboard. here's another bass with a Jarrah fingerboard and bridge. I have some cut up for bindings but I have not used it yet.
P2070028 (Small).JPG
P2070028 (Small).JPG (29.95 KiB) Viewed 11057 times
Taff