Something radical

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Re: Something radical

Post by peter.coombe » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:30 am

Wow, nice. My radiata pine mandolin is not so radical after that effort! The recycled Mountain Ash back I used is a tried and proven wood (at least for me it is) in mandolins and I guess I must have fluked a stiff piece of pine since it was heavier but tuned to well within the range of modal frequencies I would expect from a spruce top. However, the principle was the same - i.e. to build an instrument using techniques that I know work, but to use an unfamiliar top wood that most people would consider as unsuitable, or even crap. Point to be made - it is the building technique that matters most, not the wood species or the quality of wood used. My Pinus radiata mandolin certainly does have the Coombe family sound, but is a little different, would probably be the best way to describe it. Is it as good as a "normal" mandolin? I think it is, but it is probably a matter of opinion. It has it's strengths and weakness. I really like the strengths, other people may hate the weakness, or maybe the weakness will improve with time. We shall see.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi Pete, at least with the top being black people will not approach the instrument with preconceived notions:)... It will be a blind test but the blindfold will be on the mando!
Great work and I agree that it is not the materials but the competence and intelligence that is brought to bear in the making that matters:) Its funny that a lot of players think that a AAA top sounds better than a AA top. I think that we need to educate them:) I am using downgraded (cosmetically) wood in my Journeyman guitars but nobody is complaining about the sound!

KUTGW :)

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:41 pm

You are right. It is going to very interesting to get the comments before I tell them it is a radiata top, and then after I tell them. That is one reason I made it into a black top, a lot of people listen with their eyes. So many times I have told some one making their first instrument not to waste money and forget about master grade and buy the AA grade. Can be hard to convince some people who are convinced master grade will sound better.

Peter
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com