Neck wood and other queries

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Cookie man
Myrtle

Neck wood and other queries

Post by Cookie man » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:28 pm

Hey guys :)

Where do you get your neck blanks/stock from? I noticed Mr. Spittle doesn't have any listed.
I'm looking for QLD maple and that sort of thing... I've seen StewMacs stuff but not particularly interested in mahogany :mrgreen:

Also what sort of tuning machines do you recommend for acoustics?

aaand another nooby question, how do you do a scarf joint for the headstock?

Thanks. :D
needsmorecowbel wrote: Markus it doesn't count when you briefly duck out the shed, make a fly fishing rod, then catch a trout from your hand carved canoe, package it (with the hand made vacuum machine) and then take a photo with your home made electron microscope....
:lol:

ozwood
Blackwood

Re: Neck wood and other queries

Post by ozwood » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:53 pm

Hey Cookie Man,

I get my Qld maple , NG rosewood and Mahogany from Anagote Timbers , Ask for dave V he's one of us and Knows what to look for he only works every second week but he's the man , I've always been happy with what he has sent me.

Cheers,
Paul .

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:51 pm

Last weekend I bought three Qld Maple neck and heel blanks from Gerard Gilet. He has a lot of them in stock right now - some plain and some quite figured. Nicely seasoned and quartersawn.
http://www.giletguitars.com.au/

Which tuners is a very open question. It depends very much on the style of the guitar, and the budget. What are you planning?
cheers
Mark

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:58 pm

And for the scarf joint? Check out William Cumpiano's video here (you need to go through the series for the whole set of tricks):
http://luthiertube.com/video/H4XMUHUGO2 ... -scarf-cut

m

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:20 pm

Jonathon, I have been useing Gold Grover Rotomatics for guitars , If you like these tuners they can normally be obtained from this Ebay seller under $30 inc postage http://stores.ebay.com.au/eTrading-Mark ... 4340.l2563 I have bought several sets from here and I like them, they are the same as Maton and Cole Clark use on their Acoustics.
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Cookie man
Myrtle

Post by Cookie man » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:59 am

Thanks very much for the replies folks :)
Mark McLean wrote: Which tuners is a very open question. It depends very much on the style of the guitar, and the budget. What are you planning?
cheers
Mark
I'm planning something similar to Peter Coombe's OM using Tassie Oak from Bunnings (although, obviously it wont be nearly as tasty-looking...) but i was thinking of making it a nylon strung guitar. Although I have a small question with soundboard bracing, since its not steel string how would I modify it, if at all? Or am I being too ambitious and should perhaps keep it simple? Don't know. I've thought about it a lot lately (probs too much haha) and I can see a lot of stuff that I could have problems with. I suppose thats part of the fun isn't it.. :roll: Once I get started I'll be asking more questions so brace yourselves :mrgreen: I have a heap of enthusiasm about this but, subconsciously I have an urge to try and get it perfect, or as close to perfect as I can with whats available.
Because I'm a student and I don't have a lot of dosh its pretty much a *very* small budget. I still need to get some additional hand tools for this project as well.

By the way I just want to say to everyone that this forum is great, I've been shuffling through old threads and reading heaps, not to mention the odd topic on the OLF as well. So thanks again!! :cl
needsmorecowbel wrote: Markus it doesn't count when you briefly duck out the shed, make a fly fishing rod, then catch a trout from your hand carved canoe, package it (with the hand made vacuum machine) and then take a photo with your home made electron microscope....
:lol:

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:43 am

Hi Johnathon ,

Do yourself a Favour , go to the palns section of the board index and follow the link I have posted to Ultimate guitar plans , they are the best plans going I think , for a few Paypal Bucks you can download a set of classical plans with a pretty good set of instructions included for a Classical , I suggest choosing a fan braced style for your First , save it to a memory stick , take it to officeworks get them to print it out , confirm the scale is correct before you leave . and youll have a far more , less stressful build with a good set of plans and instructions, You can also think about Getting Jim Williams' book from Amazon or Lmmi , it's not very expensive and is a great book for anyone starting out with minimal tools , not as comprehensive as Trevors , but a good starting point. it also includes a couple of sets of plans , one nylon and one SS.

cheers,
Paul .