Bracing Material

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

dave77
Gidgee

Bracing Material

Post by dave77 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:54 am

Hi,
I've just started to build a few guitars and before I do my next one would like some thoughts on bracing material.
I see spruce is a popluar choice for soundboard bracing, is this only for spruce topped guitars / should I be matching the same material as top and bracing?
Also what works well for back bracing?

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Bracing Material

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:50 pm

Unless you intend to use CF reinforcement, spruce is the best wood to use for bracing. If you use anything else, the extra wood you have to put in to get the same stiffness means you end up with a brace that is heavier or that will be too close to it's failure stress. Don't worry about matching top wood and brace wood species.

Balsa on classicals with CF reinforcement (lattice bracing) is very close to its shear stress limit.

For backs, if you want a live back use spruce, otherwise it doesn't matter. The analysis and testing behind all this is in the usual place.

Rod True
Siberian Tiger

Post by Rod True » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:26 pm

There's a reason spruce is used by 99% of all guitar makers for brace wood ;)
"I wish one of the voices in your head would tell you to shut the hell up." - Warren De Montegue

dave77
Gidgee

Post by dave77 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:23 am

Okay, Spruce it is!

JJ model
Blackwood

Post by JJ model » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:33 am

Rod True wrote:There's a reason spruce is used by 99% of all guitar makers for brace wood ;)
ahha, that 1% is me, i used all hardwood for my bracing and it work too. :dri

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:10 am

I must be in the minority too Jeffery...I use very old growth Douglas Fir or Oregon as its known in Australia. I have 2 billets that are about 1200x150x100 and very clear and tight. Makes lovely bracing.

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:16 am

Well I am a member of the minority as well. I use Oregon (Douglas Fir) in my mandolins and the first 3 guitars have Oregon bracing. I scored an amazing piece of Oregon from Bunnings years ago. They had no idea what they had. 6m of 6x2" clear tight grain quarter sawn along the whole 6m and little or no runout. Only 2 knots in the whole 6m. Air dried it and now makes great bracewood, and is even good enough for soundboards. Heavier than Spruce, but is stiffer so you can make the braces smaller. I ran out of Red Spruce bracewood a few years ago and tried the Oregon and liked the results so stuck with it. In mandolins I though it improved the clarity a bit, but the effect is fairly small. Sure works in (steel string) guitars as well. My #3 is probably the best sounding small bodied guitar I ever had in my hands, so don't discard Oregon as a bracewood. One of the best $30 I ever spent at Bunnings.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:16 am

Mr Gore uses Narra for the upper transverse brace according to the book and king-billy for the falcate braces. And doesn't use HHG, OMG. So perhaps it is 99% of Americans use it but Australian's have always been more prepared to try something different and don't seem hooked on copying pre-war martins. We are an innovative forward looking bunch and for such a small population of luthiers have had enormous influence in contemporary guitar design around the world. Makes me proud.
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

JJ model
Blackwood

Post by JJ model » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:13 am

behind my house i can only find hardwood so even the top i started using them and it still work fine, i think its still better than using plastics for building instruments that cost more :wink:

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:55 pm

I'm with you guy's in the 1% I used Aust Red Cedar Braceing on my last and current builds BEAUTIFUL !!!!
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:45 pm

I've use Western Red Cedar to great effect on my first Style 5. Absolutely love that guitar as does the fellow who bought it an it now resides in the USA. I've use Kauri Pine and while it works i't not my first choice. On ukes I've use Mahogany as have many and it works just fine.

My first choice though from what I have at hand would be spruce. Sitka is my preference as it's not so stiff as Red Spruce. The Red Spruce is so bloody stiff that I find it difficult to voice the top as compared to the Sitka.

If I still lived in B.C. I'd have a ton of old growth Douglas Fir to pick through and it would be on my list, but it's not all that easy to find up in the tropics.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:16 pm

Allen wrote:
If I still lived in B.C. I'd have a ton of old growth Douglas Fir to pick through and it would be on my list, but it's not all that easy to find up in the tropics.
Allen, always check demolition yards if you have them locally as a lot of it came into the country as construction timber...you might reject 95% of it but there are some real gems to be found in such establishments.

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot