opinions/feedback

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

inoz
Kauri

opinions/feedback

Post by inoz » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:13 am

Hi, I've built a few guitars but I can't play them, so I was wanting to get some opinions/feedback.
I put up a bit on you tube it's not the best, given my lousy playing and my little camera's sound quality, but I'd appreciate anything you might have to say.
Thanks,
Ray. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvzVlprT ... ideo_title

youtu.be/

Kim
Admin

Re: opinions/feedback

Post by Kim » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:30 pm

Welcome to the ANZLF Ray. 8) (Fixed ur link to display ur video in post)

Both guitars look really good but it is difficult to offer valid comment on how they sound from the recording. They both certainly seem to have very good response with plenty of bass and differ over all as one may expect cedar v englemann to with the former more warm and the later more bright in attack.

Not much help I know mate but its difficult to offer anything more definitive from the results of a small video mic as they in themselves sound quite boomy. I see that you have followed Ervin Somogyi's influence in pursuit of tone. That is a good starting point as he sees the top as a working 'whole' and in my opinion that vision of how a guitar top actually works offers a foundation worthy of development and exploration with our own ideas as we progress through the journey of building these things.

Cheers

Kim

Alfred J
Myrtle

Post by Alfred J » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:37 am

A lot of volume and sustain, and they seem to be very responsive. Single notes sounded good. Beyond that, for the reasons Kim stated, I can't offer a fair comment.

I have a feeling both guitars would be more suited to finger style than strumming with a plectrum, and from what I can see of it, very nice work indeed.

DennisK
Wandoo

Post by DennisK » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:41 pm

Cool guitars! That's an interesting tone you've got going there. Loud and sustainy. I'd like to hear some finger picking. The plectrum sounds a little harsh, although I think that might be the microphone suffering from the volume of those things :)

Nice work on the scoop cutaway and bevels too.

inoz
Kauri

Post by inoz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks for fixing the link Kim. I know it'd be better with someone who could actually play, maybe I'll find someone down the track a bit.