Congratulations Waddy!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Congratulations Waddy!

Post by charangohabsburg » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:04 am

Ten days ago Waddy Thomson commented in the thread Classical guitars with angled edge under forearm? about the not-so-great popularity of forearm bevels on classical guitars...
WaddyT wrote:It's probably the stuffy attitude of the classical guitar buying public that keeps them along more traditional lines. I just got back from the Guitar Foundation's Annual Convention and International Competition. You do not see many "non standard" designs. [...]
...and then let himself carry away with his enthusiasm about that convention he just had come back from:
WaddyT wrote: [...] The main exceptions being the Smallman and the Millennium style raised finger board. I don't believe I saw any other variations on design at the Vendor Fair. I had three guitars on display there. It was a good week for classical guitar lovers! This was my table. Lousy picture. I took two. The other one was worse. The guy standing behind neck of the left guitar is Greg Byers. He had two guitars at the show. Really nice guitars!

if you are interested in hearing some of the entrys, here are a couple of You Tube vids of the morning session of the Luthier Showcase. Fortunately one of my guitars is in this batch. Videos done by Perfecto deCastro. The afternoon session had an equal number of guitars. Each vendor could submit one guitar. You'll see, but each player played a segment of a piece. One traditional and one modern.

youtu.be/

youtu.be/
On one hand I felt the urge to comment on Waddy's success while on the other hand I would have felt uncomfortable to deviate the "bevel thread". Apparently other users felt the same as I did.

So I decided to take advantage of my superpowers as registered user of the ANZLF and opened this new thread, citing and linking to Waddy's original message, only to say:

Congratulations Waddy!

Taking into account that you "only" have something like 10 guitars under your belt I find it absolutely remarkable that one of your guitars was amongst the ones played at the "test panel" (or however this kind of presentation is called). And it's even more remarkable how it sounds compared to other guitars (well at least me, I really like it).
Keep going strong, Waddy! :cl

I imagine that it also must have been a pleasant surprise and great emotion for you that the classical piece (Julia Florida) played at the panel was from one of your favorite composers. ;)

Cheers,
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Congratulations Waddy!

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:31 pm

Nice one Waddy....I love your classicals
Martin

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:38 pm

A feather in your cap Waddy.

Congratulations mate, a beautiful looking, excellent sounding instrument.

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:30 pm

Congratulations Waddy !!!
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:17 am

My apologies for hijacking another thread! I made my point, then got carried away! :oops:

You are all very kind! Thank you!
Waddy

Build Albums 12 done - 1 in process

Clip for #1 Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" - Not me playing

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:04 am

WaddyT wrote:I made my point, then got carried away! :oops:
This happens even in the best families. ;) :)
WaddyT wrote:This was my table. Lousy picture.
Can we see some sharp pictures of the guitars please, or have you already sold all of them? :)

Cheers,
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:13 am

I have not sold them. Well, one is, but not shipped yet. I need to get some finished pictures. I was in such a crash to get them done for the GFA Convention, I didn't have time to take finished pictures or even do a proper French polish. I got them to shine a bit, and put them in a case to take. I had to re-glaze two of them after I got there to clear up the case burn in the finish, it was so fresh. I'll take some and post them.
Waddy

Build Albums 12 done - 1 in process

Clip for #1 Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" - Not me playing