New Guitar building book from Gerard Gilet

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

New Guitar building book from Gerard Gilet

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:57 pm

I just got an email saying that Gerard Gilet had published a guitar building book.

Contemporary Acoustic Guitar Design and Build- by Gerard Gilet and Trevor Gore

I haven't seen it yet but coming from Gerard it's sure to have some good stuff in it.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Daniel_M
Blackwood

Re: New Guitar building book from Gerard Gilet

Post by Daniel_M » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:58 pm

thanks for the info Bob, I have been waiting for this to hit the shelves so to speak...

It comes in two volumes. the first is the design stage the second the build stage....

he is a link..

http://www.goreguitars.com.au/main/page ... rview.html

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:44 pm

My guess is that this book will be an excellent read. Gerard has always been a great bloke to deal with and has done much work over the years to build and service the craft here in Australia. Looking forward to some reviews here on the ANZLF 8)

Cheers

Kim

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:12 pm

Just got the same email. Just from the outline it sounds alot like another duo of books recently released but cheaper. It'll be on my shopping list for sure even though I now have that 'other' duo of books :wink: I'm sure there will be different info & approaches which could make it worth every Aussie $. I know Gerard is a respected Aussie builder adding even more kudos. :D
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:21 pm

To those interested in "the book", you can download the contents pages from here:

http://www.goreguitars.com.au/main/page ... tents.html

For a taste of the type of content it contains, you may wish to check out this paper, read at the Acoustical Society of America's recent meeting in Seattle:

http://scitation.aip.org/getpdf/servlet ... rog=normal

As Nick said, it's bound to draw comparisons with another duo of books. One of the main differences is that Contemporary Acoustic Guitar "Design" has real science in it. "Build" uses the science and covers the build process in a way that experienced people will find of interest, but is also accessible to novices, too. The book has been printed in full colour, has ~800 pages over the two volumes and around 1200 charts, photos and diagrams. It will be available very soon. Those interested can place a reservation here:

http://www.goreguitars.com.au/main/page ... quiry.html

Regards, Trevor.

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:27 pm

I have been aware of the book for about a year now and have been eagerly awaiting its publication...I like to have as many different points of view as possible and they all bounce around my head and hopefully make me a better builder:) I look forward to reading it as I respect Gerard and what he has done for the craft in Australia.

John the WoodRat
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:38 pm

I have just had a Bo Peep at the table of contents for the new book and I must say that it looks very comprehensive indeed. Worthwhile to have a browse through to whet your appetite:)
Only thing I don't like is having to wait to be able to read it! :cry:

John

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:29 pm

Bob Connor wrote:I just got an email saying that Gerard Gilet had published a guitar building book.

Contemporary Acoustic Guitar Design and Build- by Gerard Gilet and Trevor Gore

I haven't seen it yet but coming from Gerard it's sure to have some good stuff in it.

Regards

Like others, I've been following this book release for a long while. It was "due" to be released last year, but obviously has been postponed and is only now imminent. I keep refreshing the page, but it's not for sale yet... :roll:

However my understanding is that this is in most part actually engineer come luthier "Trevor Gore's" publication, not Gerard Gilets book. The original release material last year stated it more clearly that way, with only a brief mention of Gerard. In fact, you can still see on Trevors site the sub text of "in collaboration with veteran"... Whether they have changed this and given more prominence to Gerard as a marketing strategy (given Gerards' relative and certainly comparative fame); or whether Gerard insisted on more prominence for assisting at all, who is to say? Perhaps as the book expanded out into the tomes it appears to be, Gerards input indeed became more than originally envisioned or intended and therefore necessitated the "dual authorship".

Either way, I am very much looking forward to it. I think the collaboration of an experienced luthier with an engineer possessing some new ideas is bound to offer a great amount of food for thought. Any publication like this can only be of benefit to all luthiers.

Bring it on I say! :cl

Jeremy. 8)

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:39 pm

Thanks a lot for the link Bob. Unlike "more genuine ANZLFers than me" I was not aware of this book. Great to see that apparently it will be soon available.
woodrat wrote:I like to have as many different points of view as possible [...]
Same with me. This is one of the reasons why I'm willing to spend some money on overseas shipping here.
But the main reason is that this book seems to be unique so far:
www.goreguitars.com.au wrote:Yes, there’s a lot of physics, engineering and mathematics in there, because I felt that was required to prove my points. Otherwise this would have been yet another book full of unscientific, unsubstantiated opinion about how guitars work and, frankly, I’ve seen too many of those.
That sounds very promising and it seems that I will not use this one to weigh down top and back halves when joining them! 8)
Last edited by charangohabsburg on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:40 pm

The reason I have stated what I just did is simply that I believe in "credit where credit is due" - Trevor as the author of the bulk of the work should receive that accolade. Any person new to the subject, only seeing this thread (or potentially the email which I have not seen) would be led to believe it is indeed wholly Gerard Gilets book. Bit unfair that.

By the way, as a side, excuse my ignorance but is the post above from "trevtheshed" actually Trevor Gore or another Trevor? The way it reads one could believe it possibly is.

Jeremy.

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:58 pm

J.F. Custom wrote: [...] Any person new to the subject, only seeing this thread (or potentially the email which I have not seen) would be led to believe it is indeed wholly Gerard Gilets book.
Not me, Jeremy. I'm absolutely new to the subject (didn't know about the book and I knew near to nothing about Gore and Gilet). For me, part of reading this thread is to follow the links provided and read that stuff too. No doubt left that the main act is Trevor Gore. I suppose that Gerard Gilet was mainly involved in the Build volume.

To "only see this thread" (without following the links or searching them if not provided) would indicate a lack of interest in the subject, in my opinion.
Markus

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:25 am

Yes, Jeremy; 'tis me. Sorry, I didn't mean to cause any confusion there.

Rgds, Trevor Gore.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:59 am

Well after hearing your input Trev, as a practical engineer I can't wait to read these books & it's handy having you as a member here for those "head scratching" questions we may(will?) have :wink: As jeremy quite rightly pointed out, the only reason I thought Gerard had a major part in it was that it arrived in my inbox from Gerard's mailing list, apologies for thinking that & I'm all for giving credit where it is due, either way I'm looking forward to reading it/them.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Daniel_M
Blackwood

Post by Daniel_M » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:54 am

I am itching to get my hands on a copy. We have a student builder guitar in the workshop at the moment which is loosely based on Trevor's falcate bracing - just using what can be seen on the web. This thing just rings like a bell when tapped. I can't wait to get strings on it.

More to the point, I can only imagine what a properly falcate braced instrument will be like!

The national library seems to have a copy listed in its catalogue (?) - anyone for a road trip to Canberra? :lol: :wink:

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:36 am

Have never met Trevor but Gerard refretted an old Gibson of mine 30 years ago when he was at Seaforth and he has been "goin stronger and stronger since" so I am sure there will be a wealth of experience from his side of the table.

Steve

P.S His hair is nearly as grey as mine.

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:43 am

I am sorry that I only mentioned Gerard in my previous post..... so much kudos to you too Trevor! .... I cant wait to read it....

John the WoodRat

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:35 am

trevtheshed wrote:Yes, Jeremy; 'tis me. Sorry, I didn't mean to cause any confusion there.

Rgds, Trevor Gore.

Thanks for the clarification Trevor and welcome. Sorry to 'blow your cover' if you had intended to remain more anonymous! :roll: But it's good to have you on here, even if you can only drop by occasionally.

As opportunity now presents, I'd just like to say "thanks" for the huge time, research and effort you have evidently put into these publications. They will benefit a great many of us who don't have the background you do to call on when building/refining instruments.

I really look forward to reading them.

Jeremy.

Daniel_M
Blackwood

Post by Daniel_M » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:48 am

I just re-read my last post and thought that I should clarify. It seems that the library has a copy according to their catalogue - I was suggesting that I should look over this before my copy arrives – not in lieu of purchasing my own. :oops:

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:53 pm

Daniel_M wrote:I just re-read my last post and thought that I should clarify. It seems that the library has a copy according to their catalogue - I was suggesting that I should look over this before my copy arrives – not in lieu of purchasing my own. :oops:
Libraries generally dont like it when their books come back with pages stuck together with hide glue and Stewmac shopping lists notes written all over them :)
Martin

Gilet Guitars
Gidgee

Post by Gilet Guitars » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:48 pm

Gilet Guitars wrote:Greetings, We've just logged on here. Great to find such an active community in NZ.The book will be available for purchase at the end of July. meanwhile have a look at the tables of contents posted below. If you want to be notified when thebook goes on sale please email us at

Giletguitars@bigpond.com

Cheers,
Gilet Guitars

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:42 pm

Gilet Guitars wrote:Greetings, We've just logged on here. Great to find such an active community in NZ.
Great to have both authors in this forum! :cl
I am not from AU/NZ but the spirit generally to be found here on this forum is much better than average. That's why I'm here.
Gilet Guitars wrote: [...] or have a look at our advert for it on the guitarwoods site
http://guitarwoods.com.au/catalog/produ ... 83bfcbfafa
This link has a problem (page displays Product not found! )
But with the info found on Trevor's site one gets quite a bit an idea what the book is about. ;) :D
Gilet Guitars wrote: [...] at 4 kg [...]
:shock:
Oh well, I already put up with being a major sponsor of shipping companies. :?
Gilet Guitars wrote:Please don;t hesitate to get in touch.
That's what I will do. Thank you.
Markus

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:08 pm

Arrghhh!! :shock: False start ???

What happened to the "pre-release" orders that were being hand-signed and shipped free (within Australia) ?

I had it in my cart this afternoon after seeing the (original) post by (Gerard?) Gilet Guitars above. Went to get my credit card, got sidelined...

Next thing I know upon my return, my cart is empty and product does not exist... Now another post stating book will be available end of July instead?

Any explanations? Will this original offer still be available but at a later date?

Can we get some clarification? Thanks.

Jeremy.

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:06 am

I had the chance to read through the 'Build' volume last year in a draft form, and I can unreservedly recommend it. It should become a basic reference work for guitar builders, especially if it can get some traction in the US luthier community. As someone who has written a couple of instrument building books, I know how much work Trevor and Gerard have put into this. More power to them! (as my Irish friends might say)

cheers

graham
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:13 am

J.F. Custom wrote:Arrghhh!! :shock: False start ???

What happened to the "pre-release" orders that were being hand-signed and shipped free (within Australia) ?

I had it in my cart this afternoon after seeing the (original) post by (Gerard?) Gilet Guitars above. Went to get my credit card, got sidelined...

Next thing I know upon my return, my cart is empty and product does not exist... Now another post stating book will be available end of July instead?

Any explanations? Will this original offer still be available but at a later date?

Can we get some clarification? Thanks.

Jeremy.
I managed to log in and get my order in and pay via credit card. Im pretty sure I only ordered one set :mrgreen:
Martin

Gilet Guitars
Gidgee

Post by Gilet Guitars » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:35 am

Greetings all. Sorry for the confusion re: our post about the book. We won't actually have any copies avaiable for presale. We will still be ofering the first copies signed by Gerard Gilet. Please do contact us to get at to our list and we will email you the moment the book becomes available. It should be within a couple weeks.

giletguitars@bigpond.com