Shelf life of nitro

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

rocket
Blackwood

Shelf life of nitro

Post by rocket » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:18 am

Has anyone any experience with nitro going off if kept too long? Seeing as i only build one or two instruments a year it takes a little while to use four litres of the stuff, much longer than the recomended shelf life, when i finish laquering the current build, the can i have will have exceeded the recomended shelf life before get to laquer the next build.
Maybe i could share four litres with somebody else in the same position as me, for practical purposes they'd need to live in Melbourne though.
Cheers,,,
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

simso
Blackwood

Re: Shelf life of nitro

Post by simso » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:33 am

Shelf lifes not a big concern, I actually had a discussion with distributors from azkonobel, who supply me with all my 2 packs.

I had some metallic paint (4 ltrs) that was close to 12 years old, the shelf life was one year from purchase, I discussed the situation with the distributor, apparently they factor from manufacture to purchase taking approx one year then they give the obliguatory one year ""warrantable"" shelf life. But the product can be used until it solidifies, even with part solidification you can strain the product to remove the lumps, I used the 4 litres on my own personal car and we are about 6 years later with it still holding.

The trick is storage with minimum air. If the contents are less than 3/4 of the container then put them in a new container where they are 100 percent full, doing this process will allow you to use the product until its used up not expired, paint shops sell paint tins for about 60 cents each, I carry lots of emptys for this exact purpose.

The last thing, if you unsure to the ability of the product to work, then you do a tape test. Spray a test sample onto a surface and allow to cure properly, then lay firmly a piece of 1 inch masking tape detacked across the surface and then pull away, if the surface lifts then through the product away. If it doesnt lift then spray away. (detacked means lay the masking tape over your pants and apply remove apply remove a couple of times, this detacks the surface)
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:42 am

This is the paint from 6 years ago, its gone faded now "metallics got to love them"" - not...
Probably paint her again this year maybe, if I get the chance. And just becuase I own one does not mean Im a red neck...Well maybe I should put some down south mississipi colours on it... ye ha
Attachments
paint.jpg
paint.jpg (216.22 KiB) Viewed 4305 times
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:04 pm

Shelf life with Nitro is probably less of an issue than with other forms of paint or varnish.
Because it is a lacquer and only solidifies by evaporation of the solvent rather than oxidation and the process is entirely reversible, there should not be an issue at any reasonable age.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:22 pm

simso wrote:This is the paint from 6 years ago, its gone faded now "metallics got to love them"" - not...
Probably paint her again this year maybe, if I get the chance. And just becuase I own one does not mean Im a red neck...Well maybe I should put some down south mississipi colours on it... ye ha
My first thought was you must work in the mines.
Martin