Any Good Pickup Winders In Oz You Can Suggest :)

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Tim Mason
Myrtle

Any Good Pickup Winders In Oz You Can Suggest :)

Post by Tim Mason » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:48 am

Hi guys, im keen to try some Aussie winders. I have been running with Zahngbucker,MHD and sheptones generally, all from the US and fantastic winders.

Although id love to try out some good Aussie winders and see how we are going :) Ill be after a hot vintage scatterwound set to start, if anyone knows of a local magician im all ears, keen to support the home town ;)

Thanks For Reading.

Tim
"Strive not to succeed, but to be of value" - Albert Einstein

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Re: Any Good Pickup Winders In Oz You Can Suggest :)

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:33 am

The only person in Australia i know who winds pickups is Mick Brierley and apparently he does all his on his fridge at home. He's a nice, approachable dude so he might be able to give you some advice. I've got an old school P Bass Pickup that he hand wound but i must shamefully confess that i have not got around to installing it.

http://www.brierleyguitarpickups.com.au/

Tim Mason
Myrtle

Post by Tim Mason » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:51 am

^ Thanks, sounds like a great winder (judging by the clips) Nice tones. But im after that real double tone vintage sound, no ice pick (and no flab) but shimmery. Personal experience is a big bonus, if you use em and dig em, id love to hear about them.

Ill keep him in mind for hot modern type winds, may try a set in the LP sometime soon, cheers 8) Website saved;)

Stu
Blackwood

Post by Stu » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:13 am

Mick Brierley's setup is a little more refined than most. Full-time and very busy shipping worldwide.

Custom wound pickups to your specific requirements with great home grown personal service from South Oz. :wink:
What's not to like about that !

Got to support the local winders, especially when they can nail a specific type of pickup spec. you're after. (My opinion, of course)
Cheers, Stu

[

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:17 pm

A bit of self promotion, We wind and manufacture pickups, we currently do most of the pickups for the music stores and guitar builders in perth, we can hot them up / rewind them / pot them / whatever your desires
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Tim Mason
Myrtle

Post by Tim Mason » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:00 pm

Hmm, can you tell me what seperates you from others, what makes you special? :) Experience with alternate winds and gauges, metals used in poles, magnets used, wind patterns. I mean anyone can wind a pickup, but there is an art to it and i'm seeking the artists from Oz. I have 3 really good guys and wont sacrifice tone for anything. But if i can get great tone and passion here....of course i will :)

Just feeling the waters for solid reputation and experience, guys that know about the history and love their job. Then ill make a test move if i see some light. If not....no biggie

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:54 pm

Tim Mason wrote:Hmm, can you tell me what seperates you from others, what makes you special?
Absolutely nothing. Im not special
Tim Mason wrote: Experience with alternate winds and gauges, metals used in poles, magnets used, wind patterns. I mean anyone can wind a pickup, but there is an art to it and i'm seeking the artists from Oz.
Im no artist, just hard working. I can turn a lump of steel into a magnet of any strength. I dont buy magnets, I make them. I can rewind a coil to suit any polarity / design / requirement.
Tim Mason wrote: I have 3 really good guys and wont sacrifice tone for anything. But if i can get great tone and passion here....of course i will :)
If you already have 3 really good guys, why are you looking fo more, surely one good guy is enough
Tim Mason wrote:Just feeling the waters for solid reputation and experience, guys that know about the history and love their job. Then ill make a test move if i see some light. If not....no biggie
Stick with who you have if your happy with there service, you insult them by then seeking others, it reflects that your not happy with what they are currently doing

Cheers....
Steve
Master of nothing,

Tim Mason
Myrtle

Post by Tim Mason » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Back to winders, i am sure there are some good local guys here. Will surely be contacting Mick Brierley, looks good :cl

Tim Mason
Myrtle

Post by Tim Mason » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:57 pm

Stu wrote:Mick Brierley's setup is a little more refined than most. Full-time and very busy shipping worldwide.

Custom wound pickups to your specific requirements with great home grown personal service from South Oz. :wink:
What's not to like about that !

Got to support the local winders, especially when they can nail a specific type of pickup spec. you're after. (My opinion, of course)
My thoughts exactly Stu :)

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:59 pm

Tim Mason wrote:^ Didn't mean to upset, just curious. Why i'm looking, to supply people with the best humanly possible on my end (believe me, they are far to busy to be insulted, and understand the need for individual tones).
Please note, I was not insulted, but I could not address all the questions in your response without breaking them up and addressing each one.
Steve
Master of nothing,

Tim Mason
Myrtle

Post by Tim Mason » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:30 pm

:wink: Mike (is it?)

I do believe you are being modest, i ment to get back to you about the magnets, that is definately an artform IMHO :) And knowing how to chop out or add wire is something ill leave to you guys thats for sure.

PM sent about Mags :)

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Tim Mason wrote::wink: Mike (is it?)
I do believe you are being modest, i ment to get back to you about the magnets, that is definately an artform IMHO :) And knowing how to chop out or add wire is something ill leave to you guys thats for sure.PM sent about Mags :)
Its actually steve

I dont know how to take you tim, you sent me a Pm regarding being honest followed by a laughing icon. Are you being humerous / genuine or sarcastic

As far as your enquiry making magnets, you can take any ferromagnetic metal, machine it to whatever shape you want and then induce a magnetic field, measure the inductive reactance and wolla your on your way. Knowing how the hysteresis curve applies to that specific metal is the key, retentivity and permeability of the metal play a large part.

For info I use an electromax 5000 for magnetising ferromagnetic steels, I use a bell tesla meter for measuring the amount of magnetism Ive induced into the steel, I use a cnc router for making cover plates, everything else is made from raw materials and basic hand skills, we do however purchase our wire
Steve
Master of nothing,

Tim Mason
Myrtle

Post by Tim Mason » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:37 pm

Sorry... :oops: steve, im am 100% sincere when i say i admire what you do, believe me. The laugh icon was a visual of me as i was reading your post and thinking of trying to do what you do.
Knowing how the hysteresis curve applies to that specific metal is the key, retentivity and permeability of the metal play a large part.
This is very interesting indeed.

Very tired right now so its time for sleep. Ill get back to you soon steve :)

What Democracy?
Wandoo

Post by What Democracy? » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:15 am

Hi to all,
I don't know if this guy winds pickups as a service outright. I have read through the website and I can see he obviously has the equipment and extensive abilities to do the job. Only way to know for sure is to email/message the guy I suppose...

http://www.kinman.com/index.php

I am sure some of you have heard of, or maybe even own one of these pickups.
Interesting story too, it shows some pickup winding machine ideas: http://www.kinman.com/guitar-pickups/my-story/

Just my take on it.

Cheers, Ben.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:21 am

i've heard that the Kinman pickups are quite good.

Amother is Lindy Fralin based in Richmond Virginia. You can buy his stock pickups which a pretty damn good or you can phone him to discuss your requirements,

Just be warned that he will talk forever about pickups and you'll be on an international call :lol:

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars