Classical Guitar Construction

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

zendo
Myrtle

Classical Guitar Construction

Post by zendo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:59 pm

It is a year since I have contacted the forum. At that time I finished my lute construction and since then other activities have crossed my mind and workbench. Anyway I am now ready to make a classical guitar. I have my own Manuel Contreras classical guitar as a model (to look at only not dismantle) and only an old 1962 copy of Irving Sloane's Classic Guitar Construction to use. I have all the materials and tools from my Lute days and I am thinking of buying plans from Stew Mac or American Lutherie. There seems to be at one end DVDs, templates, books etc. and the other end just my Sloan book. If anyone has some suggestions as to what to do before I start building forms etc. please respond. hello to Kiwigeo...

kiwinoz62
Blackwood

Re: Classical Guitar Construction

Post by kiwinoz62 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:42 pm

Hi,
Robbie O'Brien has a great tutorial on building a classical guitar, costs to download though, but you only pay for what you view.
http://www.obrienguitars.com/?page_id=84
cheers wayne . . .

'keep on strummin'

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:05 pm

This is where I get a bit tweeky about the five minute thing. Read nervous.
I reckon you have a great start in your hands with the Manuel Contreras. Doubt you will get better 'plans' anywhere.
Any time I am copying/majorly restoring as in belly/top or back off I build a mold/cradle with papier mache. Wrap the original in Gladwrap/clingfoil and make up a good substantial (one inch) surround. Then backfill that with plaster of paris with plastic strapping (off bundles of anything as comes with newspapers, magazines etc) reinforcement.
That 'female' can then become the donor to a 'male' created inside it, using the same method (paper to the prescribed rib thickness added between gladwrap wraps of course). Presto you have inside and outside of the rib shapes.
From there the world is pretty much your oyster. Get an idea of what woods and bracing patterns will give the responses you seek. Copy or adapt bracing plans from a myriad of sources and a wealth of advice/opinion. And have faith :D

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:11 pm

zendo wrote:It is a year since I have contacted the forum. At that time I finished my lute construction and since then other activities have crossed my mind and workbench. Anyway I am now ready to make a classical guitar. I have my own Manuel Contreras classical guitar as a model (to look at only not dismantle) and only an old 1962 copy of Irving Sloane's Classic Guitar Construction to use. I have all the materials and tools from my Lute days and I am thinking of buying plans from Stew Mac or American Lutherie. There seems to be at one end DVDs, templates, books etc. and the other end just my Sloan book. If anyone has some suggestions as to what to do before I start building forms etc. please respond. hello to Kiwigeo...
Got your PM Robert, sorry havent had a chance to cobble together a reply.

Cheers Martin
Martin

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:35 pm

I built a classical and a flamenco last year
I have the sloan book and whilst it is an enjoyable read there are quite a few outdated methods etc.

The books I found most inspiring were Courtnall (expensive) and Bogdanovich (cheap)
With these you would not need to buy plans.
Courtnall is a more traditional approach using a soleral (workboard) rather than a mould
Bogdanovich uses moulds and doubled sides and a different approach to soundboard geometry.

I ended up using a solera, but with the bogdanovich bracing layout.
There is no real right or wrong approach, just what works for you.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:43 pm

Check your local library for these books. They are both in our local system. I really like the Bogdonavich book. Beautifully photographed and instructions are very concise. His building techniques are more akin to the way I like to work as well, so I might be a tad biased.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:14 pm

If I was asked to chose one book it would be Courtnall.
Martin

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Allen wrote:Check your local library for these books. They are both in our local system. I really like the Bogdonavich book. Beautifully photographed and instructions are very concise. His building techniques are more akin to the way I like to work as well, so I might be a tad biased.
The library catalogue is down. Is courtnell really in there? I haven't seen it?

simonm
Blackwood

Post by simonm » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:30 pm

kiwigeo wrote:If I was asked to chose one book it would be Courtnall.
+1

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:39 am

+2 on Courtnall. However, the one thing that got me off dead center when I was getting ready to start my first classical build was the David Schramm CD on the 37 Hauser construction. It isn't like a DVD lesson, but more pictures and text, but it really made me go out and cut some wood. The first thing he does in his lesson is screw up sawing a scarf joint. Then he proceeds to fix the problem with a block plane. It made me realize that screwing up was not a bad thing. I have sense learned that it is a pretty regular thing! :D So far, though nothing that can't be fixed. David also recommends Courtnall's book. It, IMO, is one of the most effective of the construction books that help you understand the differences in fine builders and various build philosophies. Some of his construction techniques are also a bit convoluted too, if you ask me, but generally he's good at the hand tool thing.

I bought Robbie's course on line, and it's very good. He takes a pretty modern approach to construction, which is helpful. Many steps he says you can do with a hand tool the proceeds to use a jointer or a drum sander. He does use some hand tools too, though, and enough to give you the confidence to get on with the process. I've been through about 1/2 of his lessons, and all are very well done. If you have big bucks, the Bogdanovich DVD set is also extremely good, and very well produced. However, I was a bit disappointed in his treatment of tuning the top. Pretty short shrift, there. He explained his thoughts, but not much in the way of tapping etc. Robbie goes into that a whole lot more. Not so much in exactly what to do, but how to listen to everything. Sort of a "Listen and Remember" approach!
Waddy

Build Albums 12 done - 1 in process

Clip for #1 Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" - Not me playing

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:02 am

Heres an online tutorial
http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/resr7g3w/
I would second or third the recommendation for David Schram's material
He is one of the few that Really explains how to get the neck angle right rather than hoping and praying and planeing it in afterwards.