Welcome to my breakdown

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Welcome to my breakdown

Post by DarwinStrings » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:40 pm

On the friendly end of the saw this morning, amongst other things as I do not like to run a saw constantly in my neighbourhood, so a bit at a time gets it done.

This log has been relegated to the non instrument pile and is being broken down a bit differently to the way I would saw up guitar wood. The tree grew on quite a lean and if you look at the billet, second from the top of the pile of four with the yellow painted end you can see a serious ring shake opening up (that dark semi-circular line). This ring shake is not a consequence of drying and shrinking as it opened up almost straight after the log was cut from its root system. Because of this I will use it for cabinetry, a bit of art and a outdoor workbench.

I took a 70mm thick bark to bark slab off it first with the big Stihl (066) to use as a rough heavy benchtop. Then I broke it down into the three vaguely 12" x 6" billets and a 12" x 12" with my small cheapy saw. The first three I will knock down to 1" planks on the bandsaw and dry them at that and the 12" x 12" I will be using for sculpture.

The main reason behind this post other than for me to ramble on about what I am up too was for anyone wanting to deal with logs that maybe feel you need a stack of equipment. This has been broken down by hand so to speak using marking pen lines on the wood as a guide. The saw you can see sticking out of the log is a Baumr-AGPRO, I bought it on a Ebay auction brand new for $135 deliver to my front door, they claim it is a 65cc saw and it cuts a reach of 19" from dog to tip. The first time I used it it worked for 20 mins then stopped and wouldnt start so I sighed, traced to fault back to the coil then sent the coil back, they sent a new one and the saw went again except it would not hot start, so I tuned it and now it runs like it should. It is not the greatest saw, the air filter design is flawed and I can't stop dust getting in the pot so I assume it won't last forever but is plenty powerful for now. Comparing it to the bigger 92cc Stihl I have it is certainly not built to the same level of quality but for the price I reckon it is excellent, also I reckon I have got my 135 bucks worth out of it by now anyway.
break1.JPG
break1.JPG (95.85 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
break3.JPG
break3.JPG (92.14 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
Jim

Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Kim
Admin

Re: Welcome to my breakdown

Post by Kim » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:52 pm

Nice work Jimbo deft hand with Stihl I see. 8)

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:03 pm

<==== jealous.
Martin

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:44 pm

Kim wrote:Nice work Jimbo deft hand with Stihl I see. 8)
The chain saw is pretty much like a big noisy hand saw I reckon, as long as it is well sharpened then all you have to do is hold it up and guide it, if you have to force the thing you know you are doing something wrong. I do find it a bit difficult to find a working position while making those rip cuts that doesn't take a bit of a toll on my lower back though.

Jim
Jim Schofield