Red Spruce Group Buy

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:30 pm

Truely a stirling effort there Kim and much appreciated by all.

PS are those lime green blinds behind the billets or is it just the greenery outside causing the blinds to look green.?

Kim
Admin

So what did you get up to today?

Post by Kim » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:57 pm

All wrapped and packed ready to go.

Ok, ok so some of them look like a sarcophagus, but at least I did not need to buy any cartons. Speaking of which, each and every one of those bits of cardboard have been fully imported from some of the finest wood hoaring joints in the USA :D

I just wanted this job done and out of the way so I dedicated the day to the task. I should get them all out of my shop and on the way Monday and will work out the balances once they are in the mail.

Cheers all

Kim
Last edited by Kim on Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:04 pm

kiwigeo wrote: PS are those lime green blinds behind the billets or is it just the greenery outside causing the blinds to look green.?
The green is Pyrostegia venusta growing over the fence that you see in the background Martin :D

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:29 pm

Thanks for all the effort.
Cheers
Dom

Larry Davis
Sassafras

Post by Larry Davis » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:50 am

So....Kim.....are you ready to do it again?? :lol:
Still searching for the mother of all figures.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:41 am

Larry Davis wrote:So....Kim.....are you ready to do it again?? :lol:
I can't right now Larry because I'm all out of packing material. Half the cartons and ply used in packing this lot came from you so I will need to wait at least until Gallery Hardwoods has another sale so I can re-stock. :lol:

I must say that putting this together has given me a slight glimpse into your world and it has left me gobsmacked at the effort you must have put in shortly after the last OLF Swapmeet, your operation certainly is one well oiled machine Larry.

Anyhow, thanks for the packaging mate it came in handy but I must give an even bigger thanks for the absolutely first class tonewood and burl off cuts you sent along with them. 8)

Cheers

Kim

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:28 pm

Keep your eye on your mail box next week, that redheaded step child is coming to pay a visit :D

I will send final cost for local shipping to those of you who got in on this buy shortly, it wont be too bad given the exchange rate was better when payment was finally made than when I first done the calculations, also the bracewood dropped a dollar a stick from initial costing as well and all this will be worked out so you only pay what the credit left over from your initial payment did not cover.

Please Note: Given the value of your orders, and the fact that I simply cannot afford to replace your stuff if for some reason it did not turn up, I have taken the liberty of sending them all via registered mail. This service only adds $2.70 to your total shipping cost but allows a record of it's path between where I sent it from and where it goes from there. Also, once registered, I was able to then insure the goods and because insurance is only $1.10 per $100.00 value to cover total loss, I covered each order for it's approximate replacement value including around what you would have paid for your share of shipping from USA.

Cheers

Kim

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:42 pm

Wonderful stuff Kim. Good thinking

I'd be devastated if this wonderful wood became a victim of Oz Post.

Bob

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:35 pm

Where does all that stuff go I wonder? Is there some grand garage sale that were not aware of?
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:15 pm

Allen wrote:Where does all that stuff go I wonder? Is there some grand garage sale that were not aware of?
I believe the board of directors all have power seller profiles on ebay, sort of makes up for the lack of share options available in a government run corporation, ya gotta keep your top people from gett'in head hunted somehow, it's moider out there I tell ya :lol:

Cheers

Kim

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:55 pm

Did you guys get your Adi tops yet? I have had mine so long now that they went on guitars that are now considered pre-war..... :D

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:56 pm

I know - piss off Hesh........... :D

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:32 pm

Hesh1956 wrote:I know - piss off Hesh........... :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: Your really starting to assimilate there buddy. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:22 pm

Ive just finished stacking my tops in the press. Had a chance to get a good long look at them all and theyre f****ng beautiful!!

Thanks again Kim for putting together a great operation.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:22 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Ive just finished stacking my tops in the press. Had a chance to get a good long look at them all and theyre f****ng beautiful!!

Thanks again Kim for putting together a great operation.
Thanks for the heads up Martin and I am glad your a happy little geological south sea pom in argyle socks :lol:

So, I know Kim Strode got his wood today, anyone else???

Cheers

Kim

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:43 pm

Not yet, but remember FNQ is 10 years behind the rest of ya. It's going to take a time machine for Aust. Post to find us up here. :lol:
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:04 pm

Mine arrived this morning Kim.

Sensational mate.

I went through the lot and gave them a tap.

Interestingly, some of the shittier looking sets with the widest grain had the nicest tap tone.

Bob

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:11 pm

bob wrote:Mine arrived this morning Kim.

Sensational mate.

I went through the lot and gave them a tap.

Interestingly, some of the shittier looking sets with the widest grain had the nicest tap tone.

Bob
Yes indeed Bob and stiff as....well...a board I guess :lol:

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:24 am

G'day Kim,

No sign of the red spruce in Townsville. May be tomorrow!!! Not ever having the chance to view, feel smell and tap good spruce in my life this is going to be a great experience for me. Not that I really know what to look for!

One of these days I would love to spend some time with you Bob or Kim or Allen and ask what are the things to look for in a top.

Still patiently waiting!

Cheers

Alan

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:30 am

My two arrived today. Thanks Kim.

Now to plan what to build with them. It'll be a few years before I get to them I reckon (even though I've currently got only got 5 top sets in my stash!), so I've got plenty of time to decide.
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:48 am

The Red Spruce arrived today safely. Thanks again Kim for your efforts as I appreciate very much the way the buy came together successfully.

As per a previous statement i'm no expert here but first the wood looks great IMO. One set is ascetically more appealing than the other. I have two Bunya tops in my stash to campare tap tone with and the Red Spruce sounds much more lively to the Bunya. The two Bunya sets tap sound is very similar where the spruce are completely different. One spruce set has a deeper pitch to the other if that makes sense. Anyway, thats my observations so the rest is up to me now to do the wood justice.

Looking forward to the challange.

Cheers

Alan

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:20 pm

My spruce arrived today as well, and it's just F!@KING beautiful. It's the stiffest soundboard wood I've ever had the opportunity to flex. If you didn't get in on the group buy your a complete tosser. :lol:

Now I'm off to tap my wood.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:47 am

Allen wrote:... If you didn't get in on the group buy your a complete tosser. :lol:

Now I'm off to tap my wood.
:oops: :( :o :lol:

Dennis (tosseroonie)
Another damn Yank!