Red Spruce Group Buy

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kim
Admin

Red Spruce Group Buy

Post by Kim » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:59 am

Folks,

You may have noticed that I have just created an new area in the preferred vendors section for Colonial Tonewoods. Steve Roberson is a great guy and should bring a lot to the ANZLF.

To celebrate Colonial Tonewoods joining us, I am now seeking expressions of interest for a group buy of 2A Adirondack Spruce (Red Spruce) Tops through Steve. I will need tentative numbers at first so I can work out the price break with him which will then be PM'ed out to those members who list in this thread to firm up the numbers before placing the order.

I can tell you that when I say the order will be for 2A grade tops, it is my experience in dealing with Steve in the past that this grading will easily stand it's ground against 3A from most other vendors. Steve's adi is great stuff and is always beautifully cut with an eye for the most quality from a bolt rather than quantity.

Anyhow, what I need now is an idea of how many tops people would be interested in at a good group buy price, I cannot be much more specific than that at this stage so any expression of interest will not be considered a commitment to buy.

For our members in the USA, this could be a great opportunity if one of you will act as a dispatch from there out to those other members in your country. I am sure that Steve will not mind splitting the order out in two parts if the numbers are reasonable, one to AU and one to USA. With the cheaper shipping to that dispatch point in the USA, you guys will end up with a better deal than us Aussies out of this but we can all take advantage of price break the volume of the initial order will offer. 8)

Cheers

Kim

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:33 am

Kim my friend I might be interested in a few tops and I have bought Adi from Steve many times prior so I know and will attest that it is GOOD stuff.

Sorry I would not be a good one to dispatch it inside the states in as much as I can never find a box the right size to ship wood in. If Steve would send me the boxes I would be happy to post the stuff (after I keep the best ones :D ).

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:52 am

G'day Kim,

I'm in for 2 or 3 tops for sure.

Gotta love the group buys!
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:22 pm

I don't need any at the moment.

I bought some red spruce tops from Steve a few years ago. Great tops, great service.

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:49 pm

G'day Kim,

I would be interested in one oe two sets for sure depending on the price.

Cheers

Alan

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:35 pm

Hey Kim, I could go for 5 tops.
Cheers
Dominic

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:15 pm

Hey Dominic,

Welcome to the ANZLF :D

I will let this thread run for a few days to gather the numbers, and then I will PM everyone a price for confirmation of those figures. I guess the way it will work for us in AU is that when we have the numbers and the order is placed, I pay Steve and he will ship to me and that freight cost will be divided up on a pro rata or per top basis between us all. That should work out well spread over the whole shipment. Then I will do the split and repack forwarding a total which will including the required domestic postage cost and my bank details to each buyer to settle up 8)

Cheers

Kim

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:18 pm

5 for me Kim. Depending on the price I might go for ten.

Bob

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:24 pm

Hi Kim,

Im good for 10 tops.

Cheers Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:52 pm

5....10....maybe more, just depends on the price. You can never have a big enough stash. Am I right, or am I right :wink:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:54 pm

You aint wrong :D

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:44 pm

Allen wrote:5....10....maybe more, just depends on the price. You can never have a big enough stash. Am I right, or am I right :wink:
Like I keep tell'in the Mrs, this wood need to time to age if your going to make great sounding, stable instruments. A builder needs to let his wood move with the changes of the seasons, let the big moves take place in the set whilst it's still young and energetic in a sticker stack, not in an instrument.

I tell her that everyone goes on and on about the golden sound of those pre-war guitars and how I am so convinced that it's due in 9 parts to the age of the wood. I suggest that it's because it has now settled down and mellowed, that it has stopped the struggle and is at last ready to just relax and make beautiful music, instead of expending it's energy fighting against the binds of it's bracing.

I explain that this is the essence of why it is so very important for me to have such a large stash of expensive wood, as this will then allow me to rotate my stocks, building with the oldest now, and then replacing with the new. I plead that this is the reason why it is not at all unreasonable for me to maintain enough stocks of tonewood to take me through a 30 year cycle.

She just looks at me like I shat in her shoes again and tells me to get stuffed! I realy don't think she understands me :cry:

Cheers

Kim

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:15 pm

Just admit it Kim.

You're a wood slut. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:26 pm

A natural progression that has occurred with my interest in wood Bob. :D

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:37 am

Most women have learned long ago, unfortunately...., that when men discuss our wood we tend to exaggerate....... What we see as 9" is in fact often only 4.5" depending on who is doing the measuring......... :D

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:44 am

Hi Dominic and welcome to the ANZLF

Any chance of throwing up a few pics of that gorgeous Narra guitar?

Bob

Graham W
Kauri

Sticky red spruce buy

Post by Graham W » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:11 pm

Any problem sending a couple of sets to little old NZ? I'd be interested in 2 sets. I guess I'd end up paying some more in shipping, but getting great spruce here is not easy.

Cheers

Graham W
Graham Wardrop
PO Box 18 845
Christchurch 8641
New Zealand
guit.art@clear.net.nz

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:14 pm

Graham,

Im due in NZ for work later on in the year. I dont mind hand carrying a few tops over with me. Would be a good excuse to catch up with you for a coffee. Ive got relies in the garden city so will be travelling down that way.

At the moment it looks like Ill be back in NZ August/September.

Cheers Martin

Graham W
Kauri

Red Spruce Group Buy

Post by Graham W » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:50 am

Hi Martin

That's a very nice offer and I'll take you up on it. I only build one or two guitars a year, if that, so I'm not in any huge rush. It's always nice to have some tops aging in your workshop and to know that they have been air drying in your own climatic conditions…

Let's keep in touch about this.

Thanks

Graham
Graham Wardrop
PO Box 18 845
Christchurch 8641
New Zealand
guit.art@clear.net.nz

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:11 am

Hi Folk's

As the pricing for this group buy is commercially sensitive, I have sent out a PM to all who have expressed an interest thus far with that information. The group buy will also include any orders for 2"x1"x20" Red Spruce bracewood billets which Steve is also offering at a very good price.

I will leave this thread open for further expressions of interest until Wednesday the 16/01/08 and after that, I will begin finalising things. Steve has also suggested that if there is any interest from you mando builders out there in Red Spruce for flat or carved tops, you should jump in and let me know so we can work something out for you.

Cheers

Kim

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:36 am

OK, you've got me. 3 carved mando tops. Dependent on price maybe more

cheers

graham
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:35 pm

Graham McDonald wrote:OK, you've got me. 3 carved mando tops. Dependent on price maybe more

cheers

graham
Graham,

I have emailed Steve and will PM you a price for confirmation when at hand.

Cheers

Kim

Kim Strode
Blackwood

Post by Kim Strode » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:27 am

Hi Kim,

Can you please add 2 tops for me also, as well as 2 bracewood biletts.

Thanks, Kim
Kim Strode
Daylesford, Australia

Colonial Tonewoods
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by Colonial Tonewoods » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:29 am

For those interested, I made a post in the Colonial Tonewoods section about an offer I'm extending to the Australian/New Zealand Luthiers Forum members. Please check it out and PM me if you're interested.

Thank you,
Stephen

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:11 pm

I'm in for half a dozen bracewood billets. Just about run out of the billets I got off him last time.