cabots danish oil changed formula?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

matthew
Blackwood

cabots danish oil changed formula?

Post by matthew » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:18 pm

It's been a favourite wipe-on oil finish of mine for ever.

However i opened a new tin today and the stuff i poured out was light blue and reeks of kero.

Have they changed the formula? Has anyone else noticed this?

the MSDS notes "pale yellow liquid" which is how I remember it. And it had a sweet smell, nothing like this.

Puzzled.

Allen
Blackwood

Re: cabots danish oil changed formula?

Post by Allen » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:27 pm

The one I have (about a year old) sounds like your old formula. Don't like the sound of the new and improved one.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:44 pm

I called them up at one point to ask about their products and they were generally useless

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:24 pm

Blue with kero pong is not Danish Oil but may be an ongoing product that has gone a bit haywire. The usual additive for greater penetration is white spirits but perhaps a 'dangerous goods/hazardous chemicals' beaurocrat got a finger in there or the Cabots chemist was having a bad day. IMO take it back and try again or just swap to tung oil.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:03 pm

needsmorecowbel wrote:I called them up at one point to ask about their products and they were generally useless
:lol:

Doesn't sound like the one I have used and I guess something that is blue and smells like Kero could well be kero, strange days indeed.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:12 pm

Blast from the past :D Many years ago we had a kerosine burning heater and the kero used was Blue Pennant Brand but the stuff was clear. Kero had its own pump at the garage just like diesel.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:21 pm

Blast from the past Kero had its own pump at the garage just like diesel.

Hey I remember those well :oops:

Back in 1963 when my family packed up and moved from Nth Freo to the outer burbs (now the inner burbs) of Perth, the local servo..was a 'Neptune' SERVICE Station (anyone remember those?) and all of the fuel browsers were operated by hand pump. These pumps had a big 5 gallon glass container on top with graduations marked in 1/4 gallon increments.

The bloke selling fuel would come out to greet you and then ask how many gallons you were after. He would swing a big cast iron lever on the side of the browser back and forth pumping the required fuel up into the big glass jar. (No rip off back then cause you could see exactly what you were getting with your own eyes...no drive offs without paying either :) ) Once your fuel was up in the jar, he would then put the nozzel in your fuel tank and open a tap letting the fuel run down from the jar via gravity feed.

That would take a bit of time as the fuel would run for a bit and then stop as air vented back into the big jar. While waiting the SERVICE station owner would check your oil, water and brake fluid levels, clean your windscreen, check and top up the air pressure in your tyres all for free. These places were run by qualified mechanics and stocked tyres and all sorts of spare parts for most cars on the road. So while checking your oil, they would also be inspecting the hoses and fan belts etc to see if they could save the customer from the inconvenience of a breakdown and pick up some work at the same time. Same deal when topping up the air, they would inspect the general condition of the tyres and give a verbal report as they handed back the change.

I was 5 years of age and I remember the smell of rubber, oil, and mixed fuels well. But the detailed recall I have regarding the hand pumps extends from the fact that many servos still had them well into the later 1970's. By that time it is fair to say that all of the metro petrol and diesel pumps had been replaced by electric with the only indication that you were actually getting any fuel while they hummed away and the dollars clicked over was the spinning pink butterfly captured in a glass bubble..However as Puff mentioned many homes had kerosene heating back then so a lot of the servos had converted what use to be the underground tank and hand pump for diesel, over to kero....

1967 I'm sitting next to my old man, I'm bare foot with a mop of blonde hair wearing baggy grey shorts and an open nylon shirt. He's just picked me up from primary school in our brand new 'secondhand' car, its a 1956 Ford Consul. The old man has just come from the pub after finishing work and has a king brown wrapped in brown paper clasp between his legs and another couple sitting on the seat next to him as we pull in to the servo just 10 minutes walk from our new home, or 2 minutes by hill trolley if your coming the other way...the conversation with the servo owner goes something like this.

What can I do for ya today Jack?

She's on empty Tony so ya better fill'er up thanks mate.

Not like you then Jack... :wink:

Yeah, had a union meeting so we got an early start.. :lol:

Lucky bastard, pull ur bonnet an I'll check ur oil and water.

Righto.

Could do with a pint Jack

Righto.

Clean ya windscreen?

Nah, she'll be right Tony the coppers might see my ugly mug com'in the other way and pull me over.

Hav'in a hit on the weekend Jack?

Yeah, probably head out the Lakes and do the back 9 on Saturday.

Might see you out there...that'll be 5 dollars thanks Jack.

Turn it up!!! Ya put ya bloody prices up 'again' ya theiv'in wog bastard??

Sorry Jack, its the fuel company, nothing I can do about it mate.

Yeah righto....(mumbles)... should have kept the fucken Prefect.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:24 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:49 pm

Good one Kim, another one from the past, is the sound in the early morning of the milky's horse clip clopping slowly up your street as he ran beside the cart delivering your milk,IN GLASS BOTTLES!!!.
Another one is scavanging chunks of ice that fell onto the road as the ice man hacked off a lump for your mums ice safe.
Back then the whole neighbourhood was scratching a living, life was pretty simple, kids made their own fun, respected their elders, mum stayed at home to be a mother, dad went to work and came home aferwards and we all had tea together, nobody had any spare money but everybody was pretty happy.
Cheers
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:26 am

Bringing this thread back on topic, I received this reply from Orica Woodcare division:
The formulation for Cabot's Danish Oil has not changed.

I am not surprised that it smells like kerosene, because it contains kerosene - it always had. It is listed on the MSDS.

As for the colour, when a solvent based clear product is fresh, ie. recently manufactured, it often has a blue/purple tone, which disappears over time to the more normal yellow/brown. This occurs with all solvent based clears, and is due to the driers used.
It does not affect the performance of the coating.

All I can say is that from the description, I would say the product looks (sounds?) to be ok.

If you has concerns about it, you can take the can back to the store you bought it from, and the staff can compare it to a few other cans they have in stock.
I guess that answers part of my query. Must be a really fresh tin.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:17 pm

matthew wrote: Must be a really fresh tin.
You weren't waiting at the Cabots loading/dispatching bay & stealing a tin or three while their backs were turned were you Matthew?

Never heard of blue turning to brown/yellow as the driers kick in before :? but still, goes to show I haven't heard it all yet! :lol:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

joolstacho
Myrtle

Post by joolstacho » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Beautiful Kim :cl

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:59 pm

Thanks Jools 8)

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:56 am

Yep thats why they called em Service Stations Kim.

Steve