WAS now rampant. Woodrat implicated!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Tonxi
Blackwood

WAS now rampant. Woodrat implicated!

Post by Tonxi » Mon May 23, 2011 8:12 pm

As soon as my package of ukulele sets arrived from Woodrat it started. I was craving as I walked 200m up my driveway, even before I opened the package.
When I cast my eyes over the contents the feelings just intensified.
It has grown steadily, more severe each day.
The reason I know it is the Woodrat strain is because I have no shame, or, will to resist.
It's a blessing and a curse.
My generator died ages ago an because of the tsunami I am still waiting for the one that I ordered.
The starter chord and spring assembly broke on the loaner I got from my local small engine dealer, so I killed a couple of hours at the local hardware shop.
They haven't had any timber delivered for at least 6 or 7 years and most of there stock is much older.
I decided to look for quarter-sawn boards while I waited.
As I was looking a furniture maker came along and gave m a few tips.
I had to go to the bottom of the pile of blackwood to find a piece that is 3250x150x25, mostly QS but runs out near the edge here and there.
Plenty of ukuleles in it.
Next I found a 2.4m x20x110 piece of Tassie oak nicely QS. It is dressed and they quoted me wrongly so
I got it for 1/2 price by way of compensation.
I went looking for more NGRW but went through heaps and found nothing.
Just beside it were some wider boards of WRC that I hadn't looked at because they were 200mm wide and much wider than my saw capacity.
Right on top were 2 planks bookmatched and perfectly QS 3100 x200 x25. Right next to the NGRW piece I got last week which was also the top piece. I wonder if someone before me selected them and never returned.
They sure look good. Lots of contrasting colours and lots of growth rings to the inch.
How could I resist?
I must have dragged out and put back 1km of timber but I'm happy despite the throbbing in my right arm and shoulder.
I have to start saving for my generator again now.
The light was gone when I got home. Better pictures tomorrow.
001.JPG
001.JPG (124.38 KiB) Viewed 9564 times
:gui
Last edited by Tonxi on Mon May 23, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Martyn

The glass is half full... but I'll have another while your up!

It's not over until Ricky Pontin cries! (Not long now).

Great minds like a think!

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Re: WAS now rampant. Woodrat implicated!

Post by Tod Gilding » Mon May 23, 2011 8:31 pm

"The reason I know it is the Woodrat strain is because I have no shame, or, will to resist."

Yep That Woodrat is a carrier alright, Im sure that's where I caught it also,I think he should be Quarantined.

I'm afraid that there is no cure,but the symptoms can be treated by building a buitifull Uke :D
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Tonxi
Blackwood

Post by Tonxi » Mon May 23, 2011 8:35 pm

Tod Gilding wrote:"The reason I know it is the Woodrat strain is because I have no shame, or, will to resist."

Yep That Woodrat is a carrier alright, Im sure that's where I caught it also,I think he should be Quarantined.

I'm afraid that there is no cure,but the symptoms can be treated by building a buitifull Uke :D
Thanks for the heads up. My bandsaw arrives tomorrow so relief is in sight.
Martyn

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon May 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Tonxi wrote:It's a blessing and a curse.
I disagree. It's only a blessing. No one shall suffer from WAS but ENJOY it! :D

You're on the good track, Martyn. Now you're sorting through the timber planks of a local dealer and looking longingly at quartersawn doors and furniture, tomorrow you'll want to cut down trees...
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Tonxi
Blackwood

Post by Tonxi » Mon May 23, 2011 9:32 pm

charangohabsburg wrote:
Tonxi wrote:It's a blessing and a curse.
I disagree. It's only a blessing. No one shall suffer from WAS but ENJOY it! :D

You're on the good track, Martyn. Now you're sorting through the timber planks of a local dealer and looking longingly at quartersawn doors and furniture, tomorrow you'll want to cut down trees...
I am surrounded by trees... Mostly in National Parks unfortunately.

I'm too old and impatient to wait for them to dry.

It's like prospecting for sapphires except when you find them you pay the same price as for the gravel!
:gui :gui
Martyn

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon May 23, 2011 9:49 pm

Tonxi wrote: I am surrounded by trees... Mostly in National Parks unfortunately.

Quite a bit contradictory! :shock: :wink:
Tonxi wrote: It's like prospecting for sapphires except when you find them you pay the same price as for the gravel!
The best reason to not process the own (or neighbour's) tree to tonewood is the high cost when counting in everything (even without the time spent). But in the end it's the same thing with self built instruments too. ;)

So keep on enjoying "normal advanced WAS". I believe it is a much superior quality phenomena than TAS.

Cheers
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Tonxi
Blackwood

Post by Tonxi » Mon May 23, 2011 9:57 pm

charangohabsburg wrote:
Tonxi wrote: I am surrounded by trees... Mostly in National Parks unfortunately.

Quite a bit contradictory! :shock: :wink:
Tonxi wrote: It's like prospecting for sapphires except when you find them you pay the same price as for the gravel!
The best reason to not process the own (or neighbour's) tree to tonewood is the high cost when counting in everything (even without the time spent). But in the end it's the same thing with self built instruments too. ;)

So keep on enjoying "normal advanced WAS". I believe it is a much superior quality phenomena than TAS.

Cheers
Fair comment but it is all covered in cows. All the trees on my property were ring-barked 35 years ago is what I am feeling unfortunate about.

I have a hint of TAS too, but since I have had it for life, I have a slight immunity.
Martyn

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Mon May 23, 2011 10:13 pm

Tonxi wrote:As soon as my package of ukulele sets arrived from Woodrat it started. I was craving as I walked 200m up my driveway, even before I opened the package.
The reason I know it is the Woodrat strain is because I have no shame, or, will to resist.
Hi Tonxi, I can only assume that this is some sort of compliment! :) Yes I have no shame either...I cant help it I'm addicted to it....the collection of attractive longitudinal arrangements of cellulose and the subsequent rearrangement of said cellulose into guitar shaped musical arrangements!
I must say that you have the most amazing good fortune finding 5 quartersawn boards in 4 different species in a Hardware store in a NSW country town .... that is near on miraculous! I know because I lived in a western town where there was two kinds of wood available...Radiata Pine and North Coast Hardwood! It wasnt until I moved to the North Coast that I realized that NCH could be any one of a dozen or more species. But I was a bit green then and not as seasoned as I am today!
I am happy to have been able to help you in your early stages of your (looks like) growing addiction and am happy to supply you in the future if you ever feel any withdrawals :) Until then take Markus' advice and enjoy it all.

As da Padma would say...Blessings!

The WoodRat :twisted: :wink:
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Tonxi
Blackwood

Post by Tonxi » Mon May 23, 2011 10:33 pm

woodrat wrote:
Tonxi wrote:As soon as my package of ukulele sets arrived from Woodrat it started. I was craving as I walked 200m up my driveway, even before I opened the package.
Hi Tonxi, I can only assume that this is some sort of compliment! :) Yes I have no shame either...I cant help it I'm addicted to it....the collection of attractive longitudinal arrangements of cellulose and the subsequent rearrangement of said cellulose into guitar shaped musical arrangements!
I must say that you have the most amazing good fortune finding 5 quartersawn boards in 4 different species in a Hardware store in a NSW country town .... that is near on miraculous! I know because I lived in a western town where there was two kinds of wood available...Radiata Pine and North Coast Hardwood! It wasnt until I moved to the North Coast that I realized that NCH could be any one of a dozen or more species. But I was a bit green then and not as seasoned as I am today!

I am happy to have been able to help you in your early stages of your (looks like) growing addiction and am happy to supply you in the future if you ever feel any withdrawals :) Until then take Markus' advice and enjoy it all.

As da Padma would say...Blessings!

The WoodRat :twisted: :wink:
It is indeed a compliment! : :D

Your uke sets are most inspiring.

My friend got delayed so my saw comes tomorrow night.
My local sheltered workshop has a thickness sander that I am sure I can access so I'm all systems go!

I spent almost 2 hours to dig out the blackwood.
The cedar was right on top, 20 minutes later.
Vertical grain right through the whole length.
They still have a few species I haven't looked at yet.
What is cherry myrtle? Any goo for ukes?v It seemed heavy.
Martyn

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Tue May 24, 2011 7:35 am

Hi Martyn, The Cherry Myrtle would be Tassie Myrtle I believe although it could be South American or Chilean Cherry which is related to Tassie Myrtle and is a Nothofagus too. There was a bit of it around years ago. I though that it would all have vanished from the racks of places like that. What is amazing is that the wood is there at all. Is this old stock? Has this place never had an instrument maker peruse their stash/stock? Seems that you may have hit a seam of gold there!

Tonxi
Blackwood

Post by Tonxi » Tue May 24, 2011 10:21 am

woodrat wrote:Hi Martyn, The Cherry Myrtle would be Tassie Myrtle I believe although it could be South American or Chilean Cherry which is related to Tassie Myrtle and is a Nothofagus too. There was a bit of it around years ago. I though that it would all have vanished from the racks of places like that. What is amazing is that the wood is there at all. Is this old stock? Has this place never had an instrument maker peruse their stash/stock? Seems that you may have hit a seam of gold there!
Apparently hand built kitchens were all the go 30 years ago and they were right into it. Interest tapered off and in the 90s it came to a standstill. They got rid of a lot of equipment including the thickness sander to the sheltered workshop.
The funny thing is that back then Greg Smallman was in town as well as Eugene Phelps who taught other would be luthiers including my youngest son Dustyn.
One of the staff said that the WRC is one of the timbers that may have been bought a bit more recently as they use for it for windows. The cabinet types were all bought at once in the 80s.
I couldn't find a q/s bit but didn't pull it all out as it was high up and quite heavy.
Same thing for NZ ash.

First a wipe with spirit.
wood 001.JPG
wood 001.JPG (160.32 KiB) Viewed 9465 times
wood 003.JPG
wood 003.JPG (157.02 KiB) Viewed 9465 times
wood 007.JPG
wood 007.JPG (158.39 KiB) Viewed 9465 times
wood 009.JPG
wood 009.JPG (159.06 KiB) Viewed 9465 times
This one is the most accurate colour.
wood 013.JPG
wood 013.JPG (156.8 KiB) Viewed 9465 times
wood 017.JPG
wood 017.JPG (165.67 KiB) Viewed 9465 times
Martyn

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Tue May 24, 2011 12:14 pm

[quote="Tonxi"]

Apparently hand built kitchens were all the go 30 years ago and they were right into it. Interest tapered off and in the 90s it came to a standstill. They got rid of a lot of equipment including the thickness sander to the sheltered workshop. [quote="Tonxi"]

So you walked in and bought the contents of a time capsule! Well Done Martyn.... :D