Suggestion

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Suggestion

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sat May 21, 2011 8:36 pm

Could anyone suggest a good book/ source of information on chambering of electric guitars?

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Suggestion

Post by Nick » Sun May 22, 2011 8:42 am

As in the Fender thinline or Rickenbacker style chambering? Basically just a solid body that's had 'pockets' routed out to make the chambers then a capping wood glued on which could be of the same wood or a contrast depending on what you fancy :wink: . In the Fender's case it's the top & the Ricky I think its the back that is the cap. I don't think the chambers have to be of a specific volume they are more for lightening purposes rather than sonic, tis a leccy after all :wink: :lol: .
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sun May 22, 2011 9:46 am

I asked myself the same question many guitars ago and decided to just get in a experiment.
I remember discussing pickups with a small manufacturer of pickups, who indicated that their pickups would not be suitable for the chambered guitar I was building, but I installed them anyway. Upshot was that some years later the same customer ordered a replica of that guitar cos his son get taking the one I had built.
Taff

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sun May 22, 2011 9:59 am

I imagine you could lose a bit of sustain and alter the tone marginally but have got to get rid of some of the weight out of the maple/ Mahogany base. my current electric is sitting on 2.8 kg without a neck or any hardware. What base woods do you recommend? I got a Tassie Blackwood Drop top from Tim and want to show it off. I've made a few out of American Ash, Maple, Jarrah, Redgum. The Jarrah guitar had a real muddy tone.

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Sun May 22, 2011 11:57 am

As long as you do not compromise structural integrity between nut and bridge/tail in the longitudinal axis, or of the neck join and bridge/tail in the lateral, just keep a good bit of meat around the pickup routes. For balance start weight-saving from the upper bouts and work down to the tail end.

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun May 22, 2011 5:19 pm

Here is an xray of a PRS SC245 that was built in 2009.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com:80/VOL227 ... 838952.jpg

It is a weight relieved body and does not have any F holes. I own one of these and it weights in a 8.2 lbs or 3.7 kg. It has wonderful tone and long sustain. Most of the new Gibson Les Pauls are weight relieved and from what I read have good sustain but they do sound different to an old Les Paul. I could not get through a gig with an old Les Paul I used to own years ago and sold it for no other reason than it was just too heavy.
Gets down to preference!
Cheers
Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sun May 22, 2011 8:53 pm

Cheers Alan that looks like a really well thought out series of chambers. I've seen a whole bunch of odd chambering on the interwebs. Mainly honeycomb and other odd swooping (artistic) chambers. This one is nice and simple and looks effective. I'm thinking of making the neck go through the whole body then chamber the whole thing, chuck a drop top on top and shape/ finish.

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Mon May 23, 2011 6:57 am

Hi Allan, where did you get the Xray machine from??? Would be good for checking bracing patterns too. Ha Ha
Taff

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Mon May 23, 2011 8:56 am

G'day Taffy,

Long time no see!

Not my xray machine. Interesting though and very handy getting a look into places on a guitar you can't normally see without disassembly!

When your in town next give me a call.

Cheers

Al
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/