Radius Dish

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Radius Dish

Post by Tod Gilding » Fri May 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Hello All,
I'm making 2 radius boards and I'm just no good at the Math, I'm looking at Around 6.0 metre For One Dish and 7metre for the other could anyone that has a radius dish at around these radius's possibly give me the depth at the middle also the width and I should be able to calculate the rest from there fairly easily. Thanks in advance :oops:
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

seeaxe
Blackwood

Re: Radius Dish

Post by seeaxe » Fri May 20, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi Tod, you will need to tell us what size the dish is - the bigger it is, the more the difference between the centre and edge.

Cheers
Richard

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Fri May 20, 2011 7:16 pm

Apparantly it's called the Sagitta, and here's an automatic calculator for whatever radius you want to achieve :D

http://liutaiomottola.com/formulae/sag.htm
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Fri May 20, 2011 8:00 pm

Thankyou Richard And Craig, I now have the Sagita For a 600mm dish and a 500mm dia Dish @ various radius.

When mum said it is time to go to school, I should have gone :oops:
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Fri May 20, 2011 8:05 pm

The alternative to maths is just to make a compass and draw the arc.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Fri May 20, 2011 8:24 pm

I tried that Jim, I got two 7.5m lengths of timber and bolted them at one end then stood them up to draw the arc, but then I could'nt find a pencil :D
Tod

John Lennon

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Fri May 20, 2011 8:42 pm

Tod Gilding wrote:I tried that Jim, I got two 7.5m lengths of timber and bolted them at one end then stood them up to draw the arc, but then I could'nt find a pencil :D
:lol: :lol:

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Fri May 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Tod Gilding wrote:I tried that Jim, I got two 7.5m lengths of timber and bolted them at one end then stood them up to draw the arc, but then I could'nt find a pencil :D
Yes, I used to have the same problem. :lol:
Tod Gilding wrote:Thankyou Richard And Craig, I now have the Sagita For a 600mm dish and a 500mm dia Dish @ various radius.
Make sure you type in three zeroes for metres when using the calculator or you'll end up with a fruit bowl instead of a radius dish. :gui
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Sat May 21, 2011 8:28 am

Make sure you type in three zeroes for metres when using the calculator or you'll end up with a fruit bowl instead of a radius dish
DOH :shock: Oh well maybe Duh Padma can use these ones for his turtle back :D
Tod

John Lennon

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Sat May 21, 2011 8:49 am

Hi Tod,
Are you going to use the router on the sled technique ?
Rob

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Sat May 21, 2011 9:03 am

auscab wrote:Hi Tod, Are you going to use the router on the sled technique ?Rob
Hi Rob, I was just going to route in a slightly decreasing radius while slightly increasing the depth of cut, I think I saw the method on this forum.

This means that I still have some math to do :?

Cheers Tod
Tod

John Lennon

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Sat May 21, 2011 9:54 am

When I said the sled I was thinking of the one by Chris Paulick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvGemvizrz4

The only ways I have seen so far are that and Graham Mcdonald's way in the jigs and fixtures section , and the one above.

I have been working on a way to do it on a lathe, and am interested in knowing all possibilities

Rob

ps , Just remembered this one.
I will add that I also saw on you tube Greg Nelson do it on a lathe face plate with a block of wood that registered in a groove, I wasn't to convinced that it would be the way to go though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a63uOKkEE1I
Last edited by auscab on Sat May 21, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Sat May 21, 2011 10:58 am

Yeah Rob I have seen Chris's method and it makes a very nice dish,but what a lot of work making his slede jig. I thought I saw the method that I was going to use on this forum,but I just had a look around and couldn't find it. but anyway it simply involved useing a circle cutting jig and routing a lot of circles leaving a little material between each circle for the router base to ride on,and off course each circle would be cut slightly deeper(this needs to be calculated) as you move toward the centre,I would just need to take out the material that is left with a chisel and sand smooth. It may not be as good as chris's method,but a lot easier and quicker and I'm not concerned about getting it spot on as I think it will be near enough as we know radiused backs and tops change with the relative humidity anyway so as long as I'm within a millimetre I'll be happy,I will be useing the dish for sanding the radius to the glueing surface of the braces and then again under the go deck,so the radius will be the same for both Brace and the Top/Back ,I am building an OM and was going to make the soundboard 25' radius and the back 15' or 7.5m and 4.5m.
Tod

John Lennon

kiwinoz62
Blackwood

Post by kiwinoz62 » Sat May 21, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi Tod,

I used a cad program to draw the diameter/radius I required, then using my printer, printed about 6 portions of the arc, joined them together, attached to some scrap timber(x2), cut the shape out & used that as my sled.
2 ft dia. radius board using mdf, 6mm pin in the centre to hold mdf board and it basically spins when the router is used to cut, but what a mess, wear correct PPE or you'll breathe that dust in, not good.

Hope this may be of help.
cheers wayne . . .

'keep on strummin'

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sat May 21, 2011 2:35 pm

Another way Tod is to use wire as a compass. I used some steel fixing wire and pulled it to take all the stretch out of it and then wrap a couple of turns around a pencil and voila you have a compass the size you need to draw an arc. You can use it to make templates for the back braces as well as if you want to turn the dishes on a faceplate. We turned my dishes at a friends place though with a 30foot piece of steel with a turning tool clamped to the end...it worked perfectly.
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Sat May 21, 2011 2:56 pm

Thanks Wayne and John, Well first one finished, was easier than I thought it would be and as far as my old eyes can tell it is spot on accurate :o
Tod

John Lennon

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sat May 21, 2011 6:01 pm

I think the ANZLF have a preferred supplier for pencils if you are having trouble with that, a bit pricey but top quality and you get what you pay for.

I used a method like Chriss's sort of. I made a compass and marked the radii on two bits of ply off cut. I then chocked them off the bench on edge and screw fixed them with enough gap under to fit my dish blank and put a centre dowel straight in the bench. I then knocked up a small carriage and screwed the router in it then sat the router and carriage in between the boards so the carriage ran along the radius and did what Chriss did (except I used a big fan pointing out the shed door for dust extraction). It was simple to make probably took an hour to do the boards and carriage including a cup of coffee and a quick squizz at Ebay.

Jim

Life is good when you are amongst the wood
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Sat May 21, 2011 8:24 pm

Sometimes people do overly complicate things...

have at look at viewtopic.php?f=24&t=231
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Sat May 21, 2011 8:52 pm

yep, I used Graham's method. simple, quick and works perfectly. I'll never bother to use another method

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat May 21, 2011 9:21 pm

DarwinStrings wrote:
I think the ANZLF have a preferred supplier for pencils if you are having trouble with that, a bit pricey but top quality and you get what you pay for.

Jim

Life is good when you are amongst the wood
That would be me Jim, thanks for the plug. :wink:

Your correct as usual mate, you really do get what you pay for but the fact is that even in today's world, sometimes it shouldn't be 'just' about the money. At $167.35 (+ GST) per unit, I suppose on the surface my Luthier's Pencils (LP) may appear to be a little on the pricey side, however there really is no substitute for quality. I understand that my pencils are well known for their quality of finish, but if you dive beneath the mirror surface and swim down into the depth of rich colour, you will quickly discover that beauty in this instance is certainly not just 'skin' deep.

The Graded Compressed Carbon Inserts Rod (GCCIR) used in each of my 'Primary Lay-Out Devices' (PLOD) are formed on the very latest digital lathes to ensure an incredible degree of accuracy. This process along with careful grading and selection of the Base Carbon Particulates (BCP) not only ensures consistent out-put within the grey scale, but more importantly for the end user, it ensures that out-put remains accurate in all three dimensions.

Our research has shown that by paying careful attention to quality control during selection and grading of the BCP, and to tolerances during production of the GCCIR's, we have been able to reduce variation in the vertical out-put of our PLOD thus avoiding subsequent loss of integrity normally introduce into the structure of the mark-out itself thus far more accuracy can seen in the Design and Measurement Transfer Process (DMTP). Vertical Out-Put Variations (VOPV) is considered by some to be somewhat of a superficial concern, but once the compounding effect of error is calculated over anything but the smallest of mark out projects, VOPV's become a concern very much worthy of careful consideration by those seeking excellence in their end product, like everything, its all in the foundation.

Of course when it comes to a really good 'Thought Materialization Actuator' (TMA), quality only 'starts' with the BCP and GCCIR as the true mark of excellence in a Reversible Luthier's Scribe (RLS) is seen in the GCCIR casing. Each and every one of the insert casings chosen for my Information Transfer Implements (ITI) is carefully hand selected. These casings are manufactured from only the very best AAAAA cellulose fibre material (CFM) which is carefully formed into conduits to marry perfectly with our quality inserts. Once consummated via friction fit, the assembled tools of inspirational are then finish shaped into the ergonomic masterpieces we have come to know and love and then beautifully finished in a range of 'classic', and 'modern' colours before final inspection to ensure complete customer satisfaction.

(Orders taken via PM. Bulk Orders of 100 units or more attract a 3% discount on purchase cost of goods only.)

ANZLF Members Special: A 2% discount will apply to any orders placed by members of this forum. :D
Graham McDonald wrote:Sometimes people do overly complicate things...
Cheers

Kim

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Sat May 21, 2011 9:30 pm

See previous post 8)
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat May 21, 2011 9:32 pm

Its already quoted :lol:

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Sat May 21, 2011 9:36 pm

Kim, I'll take a thousand please. I've just sent the funds through to you.

Just to confirm, your paypal address is still: offshoretaxhaven@hotmail.com isn't it?

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sat May 21, 2011 9:43 pm

Nah. Kims paypal email is imadodgeybastard@gmail.com
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sun May 22, 2011 9:07 am

Kim & Graham get the prize for the best post & response :lmao :lmao :lmao, Kim you should write for the government.

Tub of 'fresh' rancid Yak fat coming both your ways!
Oh and Kim, before I commit to buying the LP's, have you carried out any deflection testing with regards to the side loading of these things? Only when I fall about laughing I don't want the one tucked behind my ear to exceed its Safe & Healthy Impact Tensile/Tension Error Relationship (SHITTER), break in two & impale it's self into my skull otherwise there could be a lawsuit!
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.