To pickgaurd or not to pickgaurd?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Clancy
Blackwood

To pickgaurd or not to pickgaurd?

Post by Clancy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:47 am

After having the lateset OM handed around a bit, there are now a few little dings in the top from people using a pick.
I don't really mind, but I did get a few clear pickgaurds in my last Stewmac order.

Now that they've arrived, I don't know if I want to install it.
We go to so much effort working on the top that it seems ridiculous to finish up by sticking a piece of plastic on it.

I've also got to send an OM off to the new owner next week & I'm not sure if I should put a pickgaurd on that either.

Anyway, just thought I'd see what other's opinions are.
Cheers
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

woodrat
Blackwood

Re: To pickgaurd or not to pickgaurd?

Post by woodrat » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:02 am

I dont fit a pickguard unless specifically asked to by the guitars new owner. I dont like sticking plastic on my guitars either.
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:03 am

I dont....just dont like them. Of course they do serve a practical purpose but astheticaly they just dont work for me.
Martin

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:20 am

Hey Craig, you can get those clear vinyl pickgards that stick on with static so they can be put on and taken off when you like. Might be good for when you pass it around to protect it but then its up to the owner if they want/need it. I agree with you though, seems like a step back to spend all that time tuning a top then sticking a hunk of plastic right next to the bridge. OK for strumming guitars but not fingerstyle.
I found that going to nitro finish after using hard shellac made a big difference to how easily the top marked so even with heavy pickers the finish might get a scuff mark but does not dent the top wood.

Are you keeping one of these for yourself? I have nearly finished the L-00 using the blackwood from the same plank as yours. I really look forward to sanding it and getting a few coats of shellac on it so I can see the grain, if its anything like yours it going to be a lovely guitar.

Cheers
Dom
PS, Patrycja and Killian are coming over in 2 weeks. No for good yet but it will be more than great to see them.
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:05 am

Hi Dom, I missed you at the Folk Festival...perhaps next year:)

Can you tell me where you get the clear pick guards that you described in your post that stay on with static. They sound good to have on demo guitars.

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:40 am

Hey John, I have moved areas at work and we had to go in and do some stuff over easter. Not the best way to spend a break but it was not pointless work. So we'll try again next year. I might even see if I can get a stall.

Pickguards, my point exactly, good for demos or playing a new guitar before it gets delivered. Good insurance. I'll have to think where I saw them. Perhaps in Acoustic Guitar Mag. I'll have a look around and see if I can find a supplier.

Cheers
Dom

LMI have them. http://www.lmii.com/carttwo/thirdproduc ... Pickguards

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:41 am

On some guitars pickguards look great, on anything but fingerstyle guitars they are essential as they are on any guitar if you want to be able to pass it around without squirming in anxiety and despite all the opinions to the contrary, I find they have very little real impact on tone at all and would recommend a blind test on the same guitar to any who state otherwise because the bottom line is, if your having trouble telling one from the other when you can't 'see' the guitar, your cheating yourself of the peace of mind a pickguard can bring if you continue to argue that your prejudice is all about the tone. :wink:

Cheers

Kim

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:05 am

For some players a pick guard is a waste of time. You have guys like Tommy Emmanuel attacking one of his Matons with 80 grit sandpaper to give it an aged look...why bother with a pickguard?
Martin

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:37 am

TommyE attacks his guitar to leave hard ridges of winter growth exposed in the spruce so he can get a washing board effect with his fingers...you can do that kind of thing when you have Australia's largest guitar building factory running a conveyor belt right to your door... :D

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:58 am

Thanks Guys,

Dom, at this stage I'm keeping the current blackwood OM as it's the only demo instrument I've got here.
It is, however, being being borrowed occasionally.
Due to this, I think I will put the pickgaurd on it (even though it's a bit like 'closing the gate after the horse has bolted')

I'll throw a pickgaurd into the case of the other OM and the owner can decide for themselves.

Shame I'll miss the family Dom - sure you don't you want to show them a desert holiday? :D
How long before they can reside here??
Craig

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:37 pm

So we will have a pair from the same board. Mine is a cutawy and I am going to do a 13 fret body join. The blackwood bent beautifully even with a very tight cutaway horn. I wish I had more of that stuff. I keep droping into Monaro but I've never seen anything as nice as those boards.

Isia and Killian can only come for a month this time and then they have to get back to Warsaw for court and then its up to Australian authorities. So still very unsure. I took her up North of WA to see what beautiful nothing looks like but a trip inland would have been a better example. We'll see.
Cheers
Dom

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:31 pm

Hey Dom, the piece you got was from the lighter board while the one I used was from the heavier board.
I've always felt that the lighter board not only had even better figure, but being lighter would make even better instruments.
Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Craig

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:34 pm

Kim wrote:TommyE attacks his guitar to leave hard ridges of winter growth exposed in the spruce so he can get a washing board effect with his fingers...you can do that kind of thing when you have Australia's largest guitar building factory running a conveyor belt right to your door... :D
Good point Kim. I am in two frames of mind about it, I like the look of a guitar that is a bit scratched up where the guard should be but I hate seeing a shiny new guitar scratched.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield