Glueing fretboard

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

rocket
Blackwood

Glueing fretboard

Post by rocket » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:51 pm

In the past, as many others do, i've used the old, locating pin through fret slot method to locate the fretboard while the glueing procedure takes place, but this time i went for a different method. I've heard of this method before but thought it was slow, and time consuming, well my opinion hasn't changed but i found it usefull in this case.
This current build is for a customer who wanted the fretboard just plain ebony, no purfling at all, no inlay, and bound in ebony, i think it will have a nice contrast against the somewhat unusual purfling in the body and headstock.
Anyways,,,what i did was bind the fretboard after cutting the slots, sand the back flush and radius the front. So then i had a completely finished fretboard so i didn't wat the hastle of clearing out a couple of slots with a fret saw with the finished binding in place. So what i've done is glue tiny positioning blocks in place around the board so when i come to glue the fretboard i know it aint goin nowhere. A satisfactory result but i still prefer the pin in slot method.
Cheers,,,, Rod.
IMG_1162 (Custom).JPG
IMG_1162 (Custom).JPG (37.77 KiB) Viewed 3980 times
IMG_1161 (Custom).JPG
IMG_1161 (Custom).JPG (44.13 KiB) Viewed 3980 times
IMG_1163 (Custom).JPG
IMG_1163 (Custom).JPG (42.5 KiB) Viewed 3980 times
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Kim
Admin

Re: Glueing fretboard

Post by Kim » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:02 pm

That is pretty much how I have done mine because I do all the fret work before gluing the fretboard on.

I find that if you complete the neck as far as the heel and headstock transition goes leaving only around 180mm of wood 5 or 6mm proud of the FB on either side of the neck shaft, and make a nut blank to fit the slot, you only need 4 positioning tabs as the tapper of the board and blank nut placed in its slot holds everything nicely.

Cheers

Kim

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:05 pm

Rod,

One question - How do you deal with glue squeeze out where the little blocks are? Guess you could coat the side of the block that faces the fretboard with wax.

Cheers Martin
Martin

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:44 pm

I just use pins made from 2mm plastic rod (side dot marker stock)
Cut them so they only protrude 3mm from the neck face and then I can install the finished and fretted board without having to pull pins or leave fret slots empty.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Martin, i haven't done it this way before, but i've already cleaned most of the squeeze out off, the rest will be removed when i shape the neck as the binding is blended in to the curve of the neck.
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com