Rockin' the Bridge query

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

vandenboom
Blackwood

Rockin' the Bridge query

Post by vandenboom » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:09 pm

Those of you who have watched Kent Everett's Steel string setup DVD may recall his point re bridge pin holdes that he wants to position them in such as way that the to/fro rocking motion of the bridge/bridge plate is maximised. He advocates that this is best achieved by having bridge pin holes close to the middle axis of the bridge plate. At the time, I thought about it a bit, and ended up going with that idea.

On my current build, an error in placement has resulted in my top going on about 1/8" forward of where it ought to be. In thinking about the ramifications of that if I retain the neck/body join at 14 th fret, it will affect where the bridge pin holes line up on the bridge plate. And they will be 1/8" back from that central axis. So then I'm thinking about Kent's "Rocking" principle, and think I'm buggered on that one. But then thinking about it further, I reckon that the rocking action would be greater if the bridge pin holes were further away from the central axis. eg. It's easier to push a see-saw down at the end of the plank, than at the centre.

Interested in your views and experience on this!!
Frank

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Rockin' the Bridge query

Post by Nick » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:45 pm

Personally I wouldn't worry that you have them an 1/8th off the central axis Frank. That was the only part of that video I couldn't agree with because as you say, the bridge pin holes aren't where the bridge plate is rocking from (Which is, from what I could make out, Kent's supposition). Theoretically it should be rotating on the saddle's centreline but in reality it's probably rocking from a point close, if not on, the front edge of the bridge, that is where the fulcrum is & the holes are the anchor point. So the bridge plate isn't really rocking at it's central axis anyway. That's how I see it anyway.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:40 pm

If you use a standard sized bridge then I'd be more concerned about making sure your bridge wings still sit over the X-brace.
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:57 pm

Have a look at this old thread and the engineers answers Frank. ANZLF Thread

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

vandenboom
Blackwood

Post by vandenboom » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:14 am

Thanks gents. I will proceed without making any adjustments. Just a couple of things to add...
- I referred to the wrong Everett DVD - it was his Voicing DVD, not Setup
- My bridge plate is 2" wide, bridge 1.5", so no issue with coverage
- Craig - thanks for pointing out X-Brace consideration, I checked it and the bridge still extends over the arms
- another consideration is that in Everett's DVD, and I have read this elsewhere, is that you supposedly get more volume/projection by shifting the X-Brace forward a bit (in comparison to a standard Martin dreadnought bracing pattern this is). I already shift it forward about 3/8", so now it will be another 1/8" forward....if this makes the volume unbearably loud in finished item, I will let u all know!!
- Jim - thanks, I had dwelled on your thread previously. Main application of that for me was to keep the break angle on the sharper side as most of my dreads end up with UST's.
frank