D. Henry Wickham UKULELE DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION book.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Tonxi
Blackwood

D. Henry Wickham UKULELE DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION book.

Post by Tonxi » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:06 pm

UKULELE DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION: A COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE TO CONSTRUCT A HAWAIIAN UKULELE FOR ANY WOODWORKER by D. Henry Wickham

I ordered this online and it should arrive next week. It comes complete with plans for a tenor. I just bought a couple of nice tenor sets from Woodrat so I should be able to make some kind of a start on my first uke(s) very soon.
I just wondered if anyone has used this book and plans? If so, how do you rate the book and the plans?
Martyn

The glass is half full... but I'll have another while your up!

It's not over until Ricky Pontin cries! (Not long now).

Great minds like a think!

Clancy
Blackwood

Re: D. Henry Wickham UKULELE DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION book.

Post by Clancy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:15 pm

Haven't seen it, but I checked out the reviews for the book at Amazon & StewMac.
Didn't rate well at all :(
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:17 pm

Tonxi -Google the dude. One 'book', a mention/link on LMI and ..... into the void.
Who knows where he got his stuff from. Ripping off stuff from genuine luthier sites to make a quick buck is pretty easy if you are that way inclined, and that is becoming more and more common. I think here the people will point you at the good oil and there's plenty of good uke oil here. "Search" is up the top between FAQ and Members. Just above the current date.

ernie
Myrtle

Post by ernie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:57 am

have the book .poorly written , crappy photos and a waste of time for the $$

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:07 am

Would a this be a good way to go ?

Get a tenor plan from LMI
Get , A guitar Makers Manual by Jim Williams ,it's guitar construction but the assembly steps are the same,exept for bracing ? neck join ? LMi may be dovetail ?
And also follow Allens posted suggestions here ? which are great btw

Rob

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:26 am

Really, a good plan is all that you will need. Hana Lima has a good tenor plan that my students build from. They also have a "how to build booklet" but I haven't seen it so can't rate it.

Uke construction is exactly the same as acoustic guitar construction except for scale and bracing patterns. The plans will give you some details to that. Questions here will get quick responses.

If you do a small instrument like a concert, then fan bracing isn't even required. Soprano's are actually a difficult instrument to build so don't start off on one as your first thinking it will be easier.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:27 am

I've yet to build a Uke but I believe these guys are considered to be the Cumpiano/Natelson of the Uke world as far as manuals go. I'll be buying the book & some plans off of these guys myself when I come to it. Also Tonxi (real name?) as Puff eluded to, do a search of this site, there are some excellent baby guitar builders in these parts :wink:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Tonxi
Blackwood

Post by Tonxi » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:29 am

Allen wrote:Really, a good plan is all that you will need. Hana Lima has a good tenor plan that my students build from. They also have a "how to build booklet" but I haven't seen it so can't rate it.

Uke construction is exactly the same as acoustic guitar construction except for scale and bracing patterns. The plans will give you some details to that. Questions here will get quick responses.

If you do a small instrument like a concert, then fan bracing isn't even required. Soprano's are actually a difficult instrument to build so don't start off on one as your first thinking it will be easier.
Thanks for all the feedback. I sent for the Hana Lima book and plans last night. I am building 2 tenors to start with. The 6 piece mahogany set and the tenor sapele set with red cedar top I bought from woodrat are in the post, so I am already committed.
I considered doing a Stewmac kit first. I read the instruction pdf that I got from their site. I saw a bit of criticism about the tuners on the soprano kit and I have a soprano (cheap and nasty). I noticed that the tenor instructions were a bodge up of the soprano instructions and showed you how to put on the wrong neck. The picture of how to attach it shows a neck with only 12 frets. That put me off a bit and I came across Waverly Street Design Ukulele site. I watched lots of instruction videos. Making the neck and bending the sides looked (just) within my capabilities (hopefully).
I talked to my son who made a curved back classical guitar when he was in highschool before I committed. He said I could do it so here I am.
I have only been playing uke for a month. It is so easy compared to trying to play guitar. I wish started years ago. Then I could have gone to my good friend Greg Smallman with all my concerns.
I've been in his workshop a few times and seen and discussed the various manufacturing techniques that he uses.
I will not be laminating anything but I may look at his neck attachment and bracing at some stage down the track.
I will still be picking his brains via email/phone.
Alas, Esperance is too far to go from Glen Innes just to use his thickness sander.

My real name is Martyn Tonks. Everybody calls me Tonxi (Tonksy).
Martyn

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:10 am

Tonxi wrote:My real name is Martyn Tonks. Everybody calls me Tonxi (Tonksy).
Welcome Martyn aka Tonxi, we usually like christian names only because it engenders a sense of community/family & I like to think we are a fairly good community here, we have our odd ones, friendly ones & comedians just as in a 'real' community. I'll leave you to decide who here fits within each group :wink: But if you prefer Tonxi that's cool 8) Some here have a user name that's quite removed from their real name....Like "Kim" for instance who's real name is Doris would you believe!
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Tonxi
Blackwood

Post by Tonxi » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:40 am

Nick wrote:
Tonxi wrote:My real name is Martyn Tonks. Everybody calls me Tonxi (Tonksy).
Welcome Martyn aka Tonxi, we usually like christian names only because it engenders a sense of community/family & I like to think we are a fairly good community here, we have our odd ones, friendly ones & comedians just as in a 'real' community. I'll leave you to decide who here fits within each group :wink: But if you prefer Tonxi that's cool 8) Some here have a user name that's quite removed from their real name....Like "Kim" for instance who's real name is Doris would you believe!
I answer to, and am happy with either. My neighbour is also called Martin. We are both grey haired poms who like a beer. A while ago I had a neighbour on the other side who was also called Martin. That is why the locals all call me Tonxi. It saves confusion.

It isn't over until Ricky Pontin cries!
Martyn

Alastair
Myrtle

Post by Alastair » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:05 pm

Allen wrote:Really, a good plan is all that you will need. Hana Lima has a good tenor plan that my students build from. They also have a "how to build booklet" but I haven't seen it so can't rate it.

Hi All,

A comment from a complete beginner :D

I am just completing a soprano build, with no previous instrument experience. Setup is this w/e, so I will post some pics next week.

I worked off web sourced measurements, (which turn out to be close to a Martin, plans here somewhere), and tracings off a Jim Williams I saw. For technique, I worked and adapted from Cumpiano's classical, as the uke was meant as a learning prelude.
Where this falls short is in the detail. Thicknesses, bracing and size, angles and set-up, relief and compensation. For assistance there, this forum came up trumps.

As to how successful, ask me next week. :shock:

As to the pitfalls along the way, let's just say, it was meant as a learning experience, and it was. :mrgreen:
Regards

Alastair

Tonxi
Blackwood

Post by Tonxi » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:21 pm

auscab wrote:Would a this be a good way to go ?

Get a tenor plan from LMI
Get , A guitar Makers Manual by Jim Williams ,it's guitar construction but the assembly steps are the same,exept for bracing ? neck join ? LMi may be dovetail ?
And also follow Allens posted suggestions here ? which are great btw

Rob
That was my plan (minus the guitar Makers Manual by Jim Williams book) I got the book in the first place, because I saw it recommended at LMI. I bought 2 other sets of plans at the same time (I bought them from Elderly Instruments). A soprano and a concert set. Between them, and the Hana Lima book and Tenor plans I will have plenty to look at.
Martyn

JJ model
Blackwood

Post by JJ model » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:53 am

ernie wrote:have the book .poorly written , crappy photos and a waste of time for the $$

I once spoke and have dinner with a guy who wrote a big thick book on how to build a guitar... he told me he's still in the process of finishing his 1st guitar.....wow! better checkout the finish product before you follow the manual..... :oops:

kiwinoz62
Blackwood

Post by kiwinoz62 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:40 am

Hi Tonxi,
You wont go wrong with the Hana Lima book and plans, I got em & they're great.
Good luck with the build.
cheers wayne . . .

'keep on strummin'

Tonxi
Blackwood

Post by Tonxi » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:41 pm

The book came yesterday. It is probably o.k. if you can make sense of such gems as "There is not enough room in the soundhole to use more than 2 clamps so it is important that a 1 inch x 6 inch caul while gluing." and " The width is 2-1/2 inches x 3/4 inches + for both pieces."

I am too inexperienced to work 4 dimensions, so I will wait for the Hana Lima book to come. The "plans" that came with it have to be scaled up. They just say "enlarge to size" without hinting at a ratio that would achieve this.
Some of the jigs look o.k. is about as positive as I can get about it.
Martyn

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:48 pm

Hey guys what I am getting is that the book ain't great. LMI and Stewmac both link to it. Letting those who link to it know what you think of their linking can go some way to sorting the issue. Both houses request feedback - give it.
Nick - 'twas alluding (suggesting/pointing)- not eluding (hiding) :mrgreen:

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:00 pm

Tonxi wrote:The book came yesterday. It is probably o.k. if you can make sense of such gems as "There is not enough room in the soundhole to use more than 2 clamps so it is important that a 1 inch x 6 inch caul while gluing." and " The width is 2-1/2 inches x 3/4 inches + for both pieces."

I am too inexperienced to work 4 dimensions, so I will wait for the Hana Lima book to come. The "plans" that came with it have to be scaled up. They just say "enlarge to size" without hinting at a ratio that would achieve this.
Some of the jigs look o.k. is about as positive as I can get about it.
I thought a bloke with a name like "D. Henry Wickham would be a native English speaker. This reads like its been badly translated or somebody hasn't proofed the manuscript very well.

On the positive side...the book will probably make an excellent clamping caul.
Martin

Tonxi
Blackwood

Post by Tonxi » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:53 pm

Puff wrote:Hey guys what I am getting is that the book ain't great. LMI and Stewmac both link to it. Letting those who link to it know what you think of their linking can go some way to sorting the issue. Both houses request feedback - give it.
Nick - 'twas alluding (suggesting/pointing)- not eluding (hiding) :mrgreen:
I took your advice and I wrote to Elderly Instruments which is where I bought it, and where they claim it comes with a full set of plans.
I also wrote to LMI which is where I saw the recommendation for it. Here is a copy of that email.

I can't believe that you recommend the D. Henry Wickham UKULELE DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION book.
The pictures are mostly very poor and the text seems as though it has been badly translated. It hasn't been proofread judging by some of the entries.
If you can make sense of such gems as "There is not enough room in the soundhole to use more than 2 clamps so it is important that a 1 inch x 6 inch caul while gluing." and " The width is 2-1/2 inches x 3/4 inches + for both pieces" you are doing better than I am.
I suggest that you read this book before you recommend it.
Better still, get a novice to try to build it.
This book is a joke.
Martyn

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:13 pm

Well done Martyn. If no one says anything, then all must be good?
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi Tonxi, thanks for the review.
kiwigeo wrote:the book will probably make an excellent clamping caul.
Tonxi wrote:This book is a joke.
Two recommendations more. Must have it!
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:22 am

Hey Martyn, Have you read the reviews on Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Design-Co ... 757&sr=8-1

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:41 am

woodrat wrote:Hey Martyn, Have you read the reviews on Amazon?
http://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Design-Co ... 757&sr=8-1
One of the two 5-star reviews on Amazon:
these book was well writen. it cover step by step instrutionon how to biuld an ukulele.very nise pic in the and is e-z to understand. all in all in read and nice to us as a constrution reffarnce. hope you all enjoy it like i have.
:lol:
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:28 am

charangohabsburg wrote: One of the two 5-star reviews on Amazon:
these book was well writen. it cover step by step instrutionon how to biuld an ukulele.very nise pic in the and is e-z to understand. all in all in read and nice to us as a constrution reffarnce. hope you all enjoy it like i have.
:lol:
Obvisly Ritten by the Orther or the publisher.
Martin

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:58 am

For a bit of fairness the Stewmac catalogue does have it listed with three prices. One for the book, one for the plan, and one for the book and the plan.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:46 am

Martyn, who is the publisher?